2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez! - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #181
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Australia, new adventure begins in Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Oh, so the fireman thing is for real? I thought he was just joking.
Yes, it was for real. ^^ Actually, I suspect the rumour of him being transported to a hospital sprung up because of the firemen intervention.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #182
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle-rn View Post
Yes, it was for real. ^^ Actually, I suspect the rumour of him being transported to a hospital sprung up because of the firemen intervention.
Thanks for the translate. Clearly things are lost in translation when one reads thru the translator, I didn't quite get the whole scenario. I knew he was joking about the priest and the notary but the joke is more funny now I understand the whole thing. So that's why the hospital got into the mix, it all make sense now. He did see the doctor and receive the drip on site, so no need to go to hospital anyway.

I read on some tennis blog that said at some point during his match against Gael that "Gilles Simon" was trending 2nd just behind Bieber. He just made himself famous for all the wrong reasons . Granted, if he's not so stubborn to carry on in that match and even win it, he'll just be another player who couldn't deal physically and lost a 2-0 leads, nothing will be there to talk about. In '09 AO, he was the guy who played the boring match with Gael and was so upset that Gael was hurt he's almost in tears in the post-match on-court itw (that's how he made such an big impression on me, to see him getting so upset for Gael was quite moving). In '11, he was the guy who almost caused an upset to Federer in R2. In '13, he's the guy who played that ridiculous marathon match that everyone thought he should have retired after set 3 but he won 2.5 hrs later. So at this pace, 2015 will be another big AO year for him, maybe he'll win it .
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #183
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

And Captain Clement just announced his Davis Cup Team, Gilles' not included, which I expected. Hope Gilles' not too disappointed.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actuali...-groupe/344264
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #184
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh, looks like it's going to be Guy Forget all over again. Oh well, he can just focus on himself and his own success. They don't appreciate him enough in my opinion anyway so why bother.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #185
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

He's probably the least appreciated player of his generation, particularly in his home country, but there's nothing that he can do to change it so it's not worth worrying about it. It's good for him to be able to recover physically.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #186
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
He's probably the least appreciated player of his generation, particularly in his home country, but there's nothing that he can do to change it so it's not worth worrying about it.
So true and I wish I know how to not worry about it. Bugs the hell out of me when the French only knows to criticize him for everything .

But anyway, he did get AO to spend more ink on him this time:

Article:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...663444257.html

Nothing too interest nor exciting, but at least he got them to talk about him a little more.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #187
country flag Casp83

Casp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So true and I wish I know how to not worry about it. Bugs the hell out of me when the French only knows to criticize him for everything .

But anyway, he did get AO to spend more ink on him this time:

Article:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...663444257.html

Nothing too interest nor exciting, but at least he got them to talk about him a little more.

What do you mean when you say that the French only knows to criticize him for everything?
I live in France and i don't think he's criticized for everything...
In my perception, he has less haters in France than let's say Tsonga and Monfils (arrogant, clown etc...).
Casp83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #188
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by news-tennis83 View Post
What do you mean when you say that the French only knows to criticize him for everything?
I live in France and i don't think he's criticized for everything...
In my perception, he has less haters in France than let's say Tsonga and Monfils (arrogant, clown etc...).
I already knew someone will come by and challenge what I say, cos every time I said something about the French they always do come to challenge me, never fails.

So sorry, I guess I put it wrong, I don't mean that that's all the French do. When I read those comments on French sites, half of them are criticisms about everything from his game, personality, residence, achievements or lack of it, his fragility, his injuries which to them are all excuses for the present loss or future losses...It's a lot of nitpicking and it seems no stones were left unturned when it comes to criticism.

I shouldn't have said "the French only knows", cos it did imply that's all they do. But it's not, other half of the comments are appreciations.

But really, I'm just very frustrated for how things turned out these days for Gilles. I wish I don't care so much, which I probably will soon shift my focus from tennis now that hockey is back . But meanwhile, I'm ranting because I'm frustrated and sometimes when one is frustrated like me, one can only feel the negativity of everything.

But do feel free to correct me. I don't claim to know French and I read French by translator combined with the little knowledge that I gather from French 101. So I can only go by what I managed to gather and I could be totally wrong. He's french and there's hardly a french fan on this forum (well, Nat does come by once in a very long while nowadays)...The French are welcomed to come and tell me more about the true French perspective of things. Yes, if you can share with me what does the French think about Gilles in general, I'll appreciate it very much. Back in last year's USO when he was on TV playing R3 match against Fish with his bumped shoulder, the US commentators were saying how unpopular Gilles was that the French TV won't broadcast his matches. I think that's so untrue, but then, I don't really live in France, so what do I know.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #189
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s. View Post
He's probably the least appreciated player of his generation, particularly in his home country, but there's nothing that he can do to change it so it's not worth worrying about it. It's good for him to be able to recover physically.
Not true at all, of the four top French players who are of the same generation, he's easily the one who got the most sympathetic media coverage in this country and the appreciation is reciprocal as shown in many of his interviews. He certainly never experienced the level of bashing Gasquet or Monfils are subjected to here. Same goes with the FFT, of which he was the most loyal child and got the dividende for it. Guess who was the only player, male or female, who got to play 5 matches in a row on center court at RG11 (singles and doubles), I give you a clue, it wasn't Tsonga, Federer, Nadal or Sharapova.

And as for the DC team, Clement explained his choices regarding Gilles (http://www.lepays.fr/actualite/2013/...mon-et-monfils) and it made sense, but I'm sure you already knew that...

Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #190
country flag turtle-rn

Quote:
So sorry, I guess I put it wrong, I don't mean that that's all the French do. When I read those comments on French sites, half of them are criticisms about everything from his game, personality, residence, achievements or lack of it, his fragility, his injuries which to them are all excuses for the present loss or future losses...It's a lot of nitpicking and it seems no stones were left unturned when it comes to criticism.
Those comments exist but are not as harsh and representative as you think, especially compared to what you read on GM here.

Quote:
He's french and there's hardly a french fan on this forum
Wonder why.

Quote:
(well, Nat does come by once in a very long while nowadays)... The French are welcomed to come and tell me more about the true French perspective of things. Yes, if you can share with me what does the French think about Gilles in general, I'll appreciate it very much. Back in last year's USO when he was on TV playing R3 match against Fish with his bumped shoulder, the US commentators were saying how unpopular Gilles was that the French TV won't broadcast his matches. I think that's so untrue, but then, I don't really live in France, so what do I know.
And you believed it?

Yup, I don't come here regularly anymore but feel free to PM or email me if you need help for translating, I wouldn't mind in the least.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #191
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Those comments exist but are not as harsh and representative as you think, especially compared to what you read on GM here.
This is good to know.
GM is different, too many trolls and haters who aim to make other fans mad by saying mean things about pretty much every player. I try to not care about whatever they have to say.

Quote:
Wonder why.
I do wonder. So why?
I can only come up with the fact that this is an English forum, maybe the French rather hang out in the French forums? I don't know.
Granted, of all the Frenchies here, this and Richies' are the most frequently visited forums. I'm rather surprised that it seems no one go to Tsonga's forum, despite the fact the GM ppl seems to think everyone loves Tsonga (for the record, I don't ).

Quote:
And you believed it?
Of course I don't believe it. But since I don't get to watch French TV, I don't feel confident enough to say that's a total lie.

But come to think of it, of course he's on French TV, he's playing all his matches on Chatrier last year. I do notice that he played more matches on Chatrier than Tsonga in the first 3 rounds.

But my point is, here in the US, we don't really know. I thought I know since I read whatever that I can get a hand on, which is very little to begin with. So I'm sure my perception is only based on a fraction of the whole reality.

Quote:
Yup, I don't come here regularly anymore but feel free to PM or email me if you need help for translating, I wouldn't mind in the least.
Such a sweetie, you
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #192
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he was a good option for the team. I'm surprised some people are blaming Clément already. He's not well physically and he wasn't playing well in Australia contrary to Gasquet, Tsonga and Chardy. No way he's gonna in the doubles team so this is fair not to be in the team. It's better for him to rest.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #193
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I think there is something to it. Why would the US commentators say it if there wasn't some truth to it? It's not like it benefits them in any way by saying it. It may not be entirely true, but perception is reality and if there is any truth to it or the perception of that being the case, then there must be some truth to it. And as you can see, several of us get that perception.

For me personally, I get the sense of it and see it. The FFT seems to much prefer to gush over Monfils and Tsonga these days than Simon. They like guys who are flashy and have pizazz in their game. Who are aggressive and have a lot of power and take the initiative to when rallies rather than counterpunch. Simon is just that other French guy that's out there doing his thing.

Since he offers a no frills approach to tennis (in their eyes) and, admittedly, is pretty subdued on the court, unless he's angry or fidgety of course, showing very little emotion following good shots and not being a braggart, they don't tend to pay him as much attention or mind. That's the way it comes off to me. It was a lot like Nikolay Davydenko compared to Safin and just in general. A great player not payed much attention or at least the attention he deserved given his ranking and caliber as a player. Basically Simon is taken for granted in my, and some others, opinion is the feeling and perception and the FFT and press etc. don't tend to make it that hard to believe that that is the case. At least not these days.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #194
country flag Grenouille

Grenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond reputeGrenouille has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with you.

Gilles doesn't like to be in the flashlight and I think he's fine with that situation.
Nobody blames him. He may not get as much attention as others but that's what he wants too.
Actually, I believe Gilles needs to reach the final of a slam or have an amazing Roland Garros or do something special for Davis Cup to be treated the way Gaël and Jo are.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #195
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Gilles doesn't want to have the life of Jo or Gael. For exemple he refuses the adverts, he refuses to talk about him too much. He often repeat he's happy not to be them.
He's less famous also because he wants it and of course because of his game and his personnality. Then I think is well treated by french medias.
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote