"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 87 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 307 80.37%
Leave them as they are 75 19.63%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1291
country flag piksi

piksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

Another good example why slower courts are good. Preventing brainless ball bashers like Berdych going all the way is so worth it
piksi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #1292
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Speeding up courts should never happen - going back to mug era of the 90s of serve bots dominance = no thx.
exactly . Tennis which we watch in last 5 years is never been better and more entertaining.

Most of tennis matches of 80s and 90s are so boring compared with matches in last 5 years.

We now have much more exchanges and that is what makes today tennis so popular.

If Berdych can't keep a double break lead I'm done with tennis.
Djokovic took set 6-4 against Berdych.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #1293
country flag Halba

Halba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond repute

apart from a 2nd set lapse, djokovic was great today. 47 winners, from all over the court, only 25 errors in 4 sets, thats fantastic. his serve also solid at 67% with 10 aces, excellent stats.
Halba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #1294
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveks View Post
I prefer this kind of tennis more than tennis from 90s .

Its much better .

You can just hate me because of that. We dont want watch serve/swing matches . They are boring.
If the faster courts were as fast as they were supposed to be then everybody would get what they want at different tournaments. Variety is the spice of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piksi View Post
Another good example why slower courts are good. Preventing brainless ball bashers like Berdych going all the way is so worth it
Slow courts let players in poor form mug their way to finals by going ultra-defensive.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #1295
country flag NameNumber

NameNumber is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why people immediately scream "NINETIES SERVE FEST" every time court speed is brought up. The Australian Open is too slow, this should be apparent to anybody. When you're jerking a guy out at short angles left and right and they still have time to make clean strikes on a hard court, there's an issue. There was nothing wrong with Rebound Ace which was a mid-pace court with a high bounce. The Australian Open champions of the nineties were mostly baseliners.

The court speed issue isn't limited to just making the hard courts faster, though. It's variety in general. Right now they're assigning fast balls to slow courts and slow balls to fast courts. This is all wrong. It's the reason you see ridiculous stuff like more aggressive play at Roland Garros than the AO. They need a regulation ball type for everything.

I don't see how having SOME courts be really fast would have a negative effect on the game anyway. Back in 1992 before they slowed down Wimbledon at all, it was Andre that beat Goran in the final. And quality return of serve is more of a common skill today than it was in the nineties, not to mention the new strings that make it easier to control all that pace.

Just want to inject some variety into the tour. Hard courts as slow as this Plexicushion crap are disrespectful to the players anyway. It has to be torture having to grind that hard on hard court. Needs to stop.

Last edited by NameNumber : 01-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.
NameNumber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #1296
country flag dazed1

dazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piksi View Post
Preventing attacking players to win all the way is so worth it

Fixed.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #1297
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that more varied courts would make this sport more enjoyable for us spectators and less damaging for the athletes themselves. Thing is, as has been pointed out in this thread, the general audience seems to like this turn towards slower courts and more physical tennis. The general audience is what brings the ATP their money and therefore they will always listen to what it has to say. How do you change the perception of the casual fan and show them that an all around reduction in court speeds is a bad thing? How do you lobby as a special interest group (face it, that is exactly what we are) with the ATP? What could make the ATP listen to this line of reasoning? I do not know, yet if somebody manages to answer these questions, we might get closer to actually solving the issue at hand here.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1298
country flag Chris Kuerten
Banned!

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
I agree that more varied courts would make this sport more enjoyable for us spectators and less damaging for the athletes themselves. Thing is, as has been pointed out in this thread, the general audience seems to like this turn towards slower courts and more physical tennis. The general audience is what brings the ATP their money and therefore they will always listen to what it has to say. How do you change the perception of the casual fan and show them that an all around reduction in court speeds is a bad thing? How do you lobby as a special interest group (face it, that is exactly what we are) with the ATP? What could make the ATP listen to this line of reasoning? I do not know, yet if somebody manages to answer these questions, we might get closer to actually solving the issue at hand here.
Good post
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #1299
country flag JarkaFish

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Where's the proof that the audience likes slower courts? Because they gasp when their's some sort of 30-shot rally or whatever? You realize their were plenty of long physical rallies on Rebound Ace and even DecoTurf where audiences had orgasms as well, right. Jesus christ.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #1300
Banned!

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Where's the proof that the audience likes slower courts? Because they gasp when their's some sort of 30-shot rally or whatever? You realize their were plenty of long physical rallies on Rebound Ace and even DecoTurf where audiences had orgasms as well, right. Jesus christ.
Why would the ATP implement slower courts if the audience wants faster courts?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #1301
country flag JarkaFish

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
Why would the ATP implement slower courts if the audience wants faster courts?
Corporations do misinformed things all the time, I'm not saying the audience is dying for faster courts, but rather they really don't know what they want. If the AO courts were changed back to Rebound Ace tomorrow the casual audience would never know the difference and enjoy the tennis all the same.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #1302
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why are you spelling there wrong? Aren't you American?

Anyway, you're right. The audience likes long spectacular rallies. But, they also like it even more if the rally is long on high-speed courts, because the defense on those courts is close to impossible, yet the players are still able to get the ball. The slower the court is, the higher chance that long unspectacular rallies with nothing special exist.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #1303
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes. The fact that people were talking in superlatives about last year's final here. The fact they did the same thing two days ago after the Djokovic-Wawrinka match. The fact that they pay to see matches. The fact that there seems to be an increasing focus on the physical aspects of tennis. Etc.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #1304
country flag JarkaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Why are you spelling there wrong? Aren't you American?

Anyway, you're right. The audience likes long spectacular rallies. But, they also like it even more if the rally is long on high-speed courts, because the defense on those courts is close to impossible, yet the players are still able to get the ball. The slower the court is, the higher chance that long unspectacular rallies with nothing special exist.
No, I'm Croatian and English is not my first language.

Also, exactly! Slower courts make the longer rallies unspectacular because it's way easier to get the balls back, when the rallies were long and the players were getting tons of balls back on faster courts it was a true spectacle.

Quote:
Yes. The fact that people were talking in superlatives about last year's final here. The fact they did the same thing two days ago after the Djokovic-Wawrinka match. The fact that they pay to see matches. The fact that there seems to be an increasing focus on the physical aspects of tennis. Etc.
Okay, and like I said these kind of long rallies are 100% possible on faster courts; anyone that's watched tennis for a while would know this.

If anything slowing down the courts make these rallies unspectacular.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #1305
Banned!

Quote:
Corporations do misinformed things all the time, I'm not saying the audience is dying for faster courts, but rather they really don't know what they want. If the AO courts were changed back to Rebound Ace tomorrow the casual audience would never know the difference and enjoy the tennis all the same.
Yeah, I can agree with that.