"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 84 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 298 80.54%
Leave them as they are 72 19.46%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #1246
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveks View Post
Than most of matches will be so boring to watch . Something like Sampras vs Ivanisevic matches in the past.
Then.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #1247
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
blame Pistol Mugpras, he is infact that root cause of all this
Yes . Look this match final between Sampras vs ivanisevic at Wimbledon 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-6SAfQ7Ko

So boring to watch. Half of a crowd are sleeping.

And compare that with today finals between Federer and Djokovic or Federer and Nadal or Nadal vs Djokovic.

If Berdych can't keep a double break lead I'm done with tennis.
Djokovic took set 6-4 against Berdych.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #1248
country flag Bobby

Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes . Look this match final between Sampras vs ivanisevic at Wimbledon 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-6SAfQ7Ko

So boring to watch. Half of a crowd are sleeping.

And compare that with today finals between Federer and Djokovic or Federer and Nadal or Nadal vs Djokovic.
Ironically, Ivanisevic-Rafter was one of the best finals ever in Wimbledon. Much better than any Nadal-Djokovic match. I suppose you consider that as a serve fest as well.

Singles Rank: 202
2007: QF Forest Hills CH, Turin CH, Scheveningen CH

Doubles Rank: 189
2007: W Turin CH (w/Dougie), F Scheveningen CH (w/Dougie)
Bobby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #1249
country flag Bobby

Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that is not true at all. You have lot of pushers today on ATP tour. Most popular are Simon and Monfils. Murray was also one time in the past - pusher. But since Lendl trains him he evolved to grinder.

They were also high ranked Simon was once #6 and Monfils #7 . With pushing you can get yourself into top 10 if you are good . But you cant be the best in the world because thats not enough. You need to be a grinder to be number one.

I agree that even biggest pushers will attack weak ball from time to time, but what makes them what they are is that they are more comfortable with defending shots than attacking the ball.

They prefer defense over ofense.

Grinder on other side defend himself only to get into better position to attack.

In head of pusher is defense with which he tries to go into your mind, to get you frustrated with his defense, and to hit you into mental spot, and to force you to make UE's on your own.
'
In head of grinder is offense all the time even while he defend himself , he is remembering all the time his strong attacking forehands or backhands which create winners, and try to get into position to execute them.

Thats why for example Nadal many times goes around the ball especially on clay to hit his forehand instead backhand . Because he knows that his forehand is his lethal weapon and that his backhand is no near fearsome as his forehand.

Look this point 61 rally between Simon and Monfis . Neither players go for the winner here, and just one ball was hit inside the baseline. Both are deep behind the baseline and are defending all the time and waiting for opponents error

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=N8iunyDh4ms

They both had dozens of opportunities to try and hit a winner but neither players wants that. They both know that their offensive game is weak so they just defending themselves.

And grinder in situation like this tries to step up inside the court and to hit winner from there, create angles, and with that make winners or force their opponent to make UE.

Thats what Djokovic Nadal Federer and Murray today always do.
You only say that because you have watched that one clip from couple of years ago. We all have seen that. Yes, Simon probably doesn't go for big shots. But once he gets a short ball, he will attack and take the initiative.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #1250
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon20 View Post
best GIF in the history of GIFs.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #1251
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
You only say that because you have watched that one clip from couple of years ago. We all have seen that. Yes, Simon probably doesn't go for big shots. But once he gets a short ball, he will attack and take the initiative.
even worst pusher will attack short ball . But what is important is that they dont try to enter into court and hit ball aggressive , they are almost all the time behind baseline defending themselves. They are more comfortable with that than stepping up and trying to attack anytime they want.

Thats why tennis coaches call this kind of players - pushers.

And its not me who marks them as pushers . Tennis coaches do that.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #1252
country flag cveks

Some recognized pushers

James Blake
Gilles Simon
Gael Monfils
Gulbis
Fernando Gonzalez
Fabio Fognini
Santoro
Murray - once in the past.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #1253
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Wimbledon speed now is fine.

I dont like to be it faster.

Than most of matches will be so boring to watch . Something like Sampras vs Ivanisevic matches in the past.

They were competitive but they were very boring to watch because everything was done after serve or few swings of racquet.
If there's one fine speed, wouldn't it be easy to to have all slams on a HC of that speed? Wimby's HC could be painted green, RG's HC painted to red. The purpose of differently paced surfaces is to favour different playing styles, and currently all slams are too similar.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #1254
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

just tired of these threads. it is what it is.

Novak is a better player than Stan, it's very simple. so what now, we are blaming courts again. blah, blah, blah. Would you like the AO to be played on blue clay? Move the AO to Dubai or Cinci

We are getting so repetitive. There are so many threads about this 'issue', yet the OP who is young and probably watches tennis 'once in a while' opened another one. Mods, where are you?. OK, let's b!tch some more .

Speed up courts and I'm 100% sure, you'd have the same top 4 because they are that good. Could someone here explain why Djokovic can't play well on fast HC courts? rubbish.

many guys (especially young guys) here, instead of watching tennis matches and learning, read something on the internet... then they try to be smart and post just for the sake of posting.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1255
country flag cveks

Same as usual , haters cant accept truth that their hate object won the match , so they start to blame judges, linesman, court, net, racquet etc.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #1256
country flag Bobby

Quote:
Some recognized pushers

James Blake
Gilles Simon
Gael Monfils
Gulbis
Fernando Gonzalez
Fabio Fognini
Santoro

Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #1257
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some recognized pushers

James Blake
Gilles Simon
Gael Monfils
Gulbis
Fernando Gonzalez
Fabio Fognini
Santoro
Gulbis, Gonzales and Blake pushers.....
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #1258
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some recognized pushers

James Blake
Gilles Simon
Gael Monfils
Gulbis
Fernando Gonzalez
Fabio Fognini
Santoro
Yeah, Blake, Gonzalez and Gulbis have always been known for refusing to go for their shots and playing safe, loopy shots all the time.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #1259
country flag green25814

green25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL @ that list. Also Santoro is not really a pusher either. He just only had the slice. If you watch his matches he was constantly approaching the net and trying to finish of points. Murray was never a pusher, he's not anymore aggressive now than he used to be. His forehand and serve just have more power now. Fognini is a great shotmaker.

There is no such thing as a real out and out pusher in pro-tennis. They exist at the amateur and junior level, but thats it. Calling any of those players pushers is like calling Nadal a moonballer. We use the term in a hyperbolic sense, noone is serious with it.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #1260
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute

Pinktards and their crippled logic. If courts were fast as wished by them, pink would have lost to Raonic today in 3 or 4 tie break sets.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote