"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 76 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 295 80.60%
Leave them as they are 71 19.40%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #1126
country flag RNW

RNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond reputeRNW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

It's really hard to say what todays Night session match would have look like with a 5% faster court. It's only vague speculation...
[Suicide T.]: Winner of WTF Masters London 2013, Shanghai 2012 & Montpellier 2013
[TT]: -
RNW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1127
country flag Przemek

Przemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
let's be honest it's true.

my favorite player of all time, any era, any generation, is Rafael Nadal, who the slowest of the courts has benefited more than anyone but it is somewhat gross to watch a player hit 5 insane shots in a rally to no avail

beyond even Djokovic, look at Nadal, Ferrer, Murray, Federer- all of the top guys are incredible movers. besides Federer are any of them more talented or better hitters than the likes of Wawrinka, Tsonga, Soderling, etc? not really

obviously some courts are going to be slow, clay is a whole entire section of the season that is very slow, but to make the majority of hard court tournaments play very slowly is ludicrous. what happens is those who work very hard on technique and actually are naturals at the beauty of the sport will lose over and over and over to athletes just based on agility and speed. I hear time and time and time again how Novak Djokovic has the best blah blah shots but the reality it's not so much that any of his shots are particularly incredible, as much as the nature of him always being able to get to balls with plenty of time

posters here are obviously right, it's not a coincidence that defenders are all atop the ATP rankings. once again, besides Federer.

while I love a good battle as much as the next person, there becomes a point where you would expect SOME big tournaments to play fast and be tennis competitions rather than Olympic run-athons. tennis is, after all, more about how you hit the ball than speed, or at least I think it should be. obviously we are presented with a problem when a player can hit the ball much worse than his opponent yet still win a match just due to how slo-mo everything has become

I loved the Wawrinka-Djokovic match. it was great. but you're watching it and it obviously hits your mind at some point, "how am I watching a match where one guy is dictating play the whole time with aggressive and wonderfully placed shots yet still only tied up in the match?" not to take away from Djokovic, but it is appalling that a player like Wawrinka has played the majority of his careers on ridiculously slow courts, and that if the ATP were not retarded and actually allowed some tournaments to remain at a decent speed, the likes of him would have chances to be successful based on talent rather than purely athleticism.

Wawrinka and Djokovic are both great tennis players but at their cores you have to think that Stan is possibly more talented yet with way way less success? why? inconsistancy? yeah. choking at times? yeah. mentality/focus? sure. but also then you have to realize and take into account the fact that a player who is more of a pure ballstriker and less of a hedgehog running around will fail in this slow paced world of tennis surfaces. it is a bit unfair. for gods sake are we going to have to create an indoor Grand Slam just for the sake of being fair? better yet speed up Australia or the US OPen, or prefarably both. I love watching Nadal play, but something is seriously wrong when you watch those highlights from last years Australian Open of Nadal winning points even when Berdych hits what, 4,5,6 winning shots. it's ludicrous
glad to hear it from Nadal fan

Yes, speed of the courts and also size of the balls are making the game so dull. I think is is one of the reasons why this is so difficult for youngsters to do big things in tennis these days. The game is based on athleticism and nothing else, the variety and a talent of player do not play any single role because it is obvious that the fastest and most athletic players will make impossible to hit through the court. Even if inspired player will hit winner after 5 awesome shots it is just to tough for him to do it on regular basis for 5 hours match against Ferrer, Djoko, Murray, Nadal.
I am Fed fan but I like Djoko too, and it is sad to watch when Novak can't hit through this sloow ass court and he is forced to use his flexibility and defensive skills but nothing else. Homogenization of the surfaces affected on him too so it is stupid to say that I'm Fedtard and that's why I hate the current state of court conditions. I think Djoko would be numero 1 even if the speed of the courts would stay as it was lets say 10 years ago. Just watch his match against mighty Fed 6 six years ago, he gave him trouble even at his young age and on much faster surface.
Przemek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1128
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

lol at the hacks that are thinking that faster courts = serve fests. How much evidence is there of that outside of grass/carpet 90's courts?

What we want is a good balance between offence and defence. Currently the game is too defensive based, for any tennis fans taste. No way should grass and clay courts be of a similar speed - it should require mammoth skill to win both, which today it doesn't really have. The AO is a joke, who wants to sit through grindfests like Djokovic/Nadal? Who wants to see players hit 4-5 shots per rally yet still lose? And on a broader scale, who wants to see such a quadopoly like there is today?

I don't think many people want to see ace fests ala the 90's, but equally no-one wants to watch grindfests either. A good balance and variety is good for sport in general. Unfortunately most people who watch tennis watch it for the rivalries and the big shots rather than the game itself, so this will never happen.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #1129
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piksi View Post
when you are paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket

do you want to see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbLF2a9bzz0

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNoNP...&feature=share
I prefer 2nd thing k:

All true tennis fans does . Even a haters of Djokovic. They just dont want to admit

If Berdych can't keep a double break lead I'm done with tennis.
Djokovic took set 6-4 against Berdych.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #1130
country flag Brick Top

Brick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond reputeBrick Top has a reputation beyond repute

I see whiners in every corner! Now listen carefully OP! This is not ITF forum, MTF cant speed up the courts you got it now JarkaFish you idiot .
Hewitt = Llegend
Berdych - Hand of Justice
Iron STan = Saviour of tennis
Villains
Nadull - moonballer with zero talent
Olderer - semiretired ballerina
Tomic - overrated mug who will never win anything big
Brick Top is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #1131
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post

Yeah, because faster courts will make every single match on the ATP a serve fest. Their are still serve fests whenever the serve bots face eachother even on these slow courts.
faster courts will make every match serve fest with few shots exchanged.

Most of fans doesnt love that.

If Berdych can't keep a double break lead I'm done with tennis.
Djokovic took set 6-4 against Berdych.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #1132
country flag Przemek

Przemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond reputePrzemek has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't better?
Just a few examples...
Przemek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #1133
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
Keep crying hater

Stan proved tonight that no matter the court speed, good shotmaking is still just as an effective strategy to beat top players. The match was based on a coin toss, and it was a great match regardless of whoever won.
Actually he proved that even playing that level of attacking tennis is not enough to overcome the defense and retrieving that is possible in these conditions. Djokovic won a number of critical points through pure retrieval of several shots that should have been winners.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-12 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal!
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #1134
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Well you're a Nadal fangirl of course you're not gonna like fast courts cause he can't win on them.

Oh, honey, do you suppose I started watching tennis only 8 years ago?

I've always had a clay courter as one of my favorites. I like that style. I never liked Sampras who ate up the fast indoor courts. My only two serve and volley favorites were Edberg and Rafter. I guess you could include Ashe in that category too although my admiration for him goes far beyond his tennis.

I don't like fast courts because in general I don't like the all serve players and I don't like points to last for a maximum of 3 strokes. I love seeing a point develop and I love seeing players run.

I think it's sweet that you believe my tennis life begins and ends with Nadal.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #1135
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Grinding is the future.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #1136
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Why have courts been slowed down? Because of '90s acefests on grass and carpet that were boring, at least for the big crowd.
Why did there was acefests in '90s? Tennis had developed, and I'd say improved racquets and strings were one big reason. I think that was the first phase of slowing down courts.

But, since mid-00s, I don't think courts have been slowed down anymore for that reason. Grass wasn't anymore an acefest, and USO was quite medium-paced, '03 finalists Roddick and Ferrero as a proof of that. But, I think the reason was to stop Federer, and slow courts were where you could beat Fed. The only tournament Fed was hoped to win, was RG. And I don't think it's a coincidence it's the only slam that's been speeded up. And after Fed reached CGS, ATP/ITF's aim was to get a CGS also for Rafa. So, after Rafa won the slowed-down AO, only USO was missing. And USO got then slower and slower every year, and Rafa won there. And because big crowd loves long rallies, they haven't speeded up USO then. Plus Wimby playing like fast HC, HC slams being slow(ish) HCs, and RG being relatively fast clay, slams play more similarly than ten years ago. And that enables the Big Four to succeed in every slam. And the two newest members of Big Four, Djokovic and Murray are defensive players because that's the way you succeed these days, unless you're an extremely skilled player like Roger.

So, with ATP/ITF making surfaces favour big names, it seems there is no hope for faster surfaces. The new big names will probably be defensive players and current surfaces favour that kind of players. But if the next big names were good fast-court players, maybe ATP would then speed up the courts to favour them. But it seems difficult for an offensive player to get to top.

But if I was the boss of ATP, my compromise between commercial interest and game would the the following. First of all, freeze the racquet/string technology and take a strict attitude towards doping. That would prevent the game developing too much. Then, speed up grass to what it was in about '03. Not anymore an acefest but fast still. Keep clay as it is, it's as slow as grass was fast in '03. And speed up HCs to what they were in mid-00s before the massive slowing down. And make indoors fast. Carpet would maybe be too fast but fast HC would be great.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #1137
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I think it's sweet that you believe my tennis life begins and ends with Nadal.
where did he say just tennis life ?
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1138
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
First of all, freeze the racquet/string technology
Yeah, this is a big thing for me. Part of me wishes that tennis was like cricket or baseball, where there are really strict rules about how equipment is supposed to be constructed.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1139
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Slower courts are better for the Non-Fans expectators.
They want longer rallies to watch on TV, with the ball traveling in a slower speed, you can watch the point better in your TV.

So, $$$$ wins with slower courts. Sadly they're killing the variety (The big difference about this sport and all other sports in the world).
They're changing tennis into something more "Watchable" for the non-fans.

They're killing tennis as we know it, and I personally don't like this new aspect
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #1140
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Grinders are like cockroaches. They will always be the last ones standing...
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote