"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 75 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 298 80.54%
Leave them as they are 72 19.46%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #1111
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

I remember Novak DJokovic in early days , when he was so frustrated with Nadal's outstanding defense . He hit shot after shot which should be winner against any other player but not against Nadal. Nadal was even able to broke him with his passing shots so many times on his ground strokes especially on clay. Djokovic was seen than as a ultimate aggressive attacker .

And did Djokovic cried? Did he asked for surfaces to get faster so he can pass trough Nadal with his shots ?

Did he cried as Uncle Toni for Rafa Nadal "you should put more clay tournaments"?

No . He trained stronger, he worked harder to become better player than he was. Nadal and Federer made him what he is today.

And as they make him better player, Djokovic will with his game , make someone else - better.

Thats evolution of tennis.

Somebody like it - somebody not - but thats they way it is.

If Berdych can't keep a double break lead I'm done with tennis.
Djokovic took set 6-4 against Berdych.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #1112
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveks View Post
I remember Novak DJokovic in early days , when he was so frustrated with Nadal's outstanding defense . He hit shot after shot which should be winner against any other player but not against Nadal. Nadal even broke him with his passing shots so many times. Djokovic was seen than as a ultimate aggressive attacker .

And did Djokovic cried? Did he asked for surfaces to get faster so he can pass trough Nadal with his shots ?

Did he cried as Uncle Toni for Rafa Nadal "you should put more clay tournaments"?

No . He trained stronger, he worked harder to become better player than he was. Nadal and Federer made him what he is today.

And as they make him better player, Djokovic will with his game , make someone else - better.

Thats evolution of tennis.

Somebody like it - somebody not - but thats they way it is.
Some sensible posters about today

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #1113
country flag dazed1
Banned!

dazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepleBuster View Post
I disagree. The only reason this was a 5 setters was because the courts are faster.
dazed1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #1114
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

In his early days Djokovic was one dimensional ballbasher . Than he saw that with this kind of game he cant win against the best and that he needs to improve his defense as well. And he did.

Thats why some people are crying here.

They want faster courts not because they dont like this kind of tennis.

They want faster courts because they think - that will make their favorites better and their opponents worse.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #1115
country flag dazed1
Banned!

dazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think that best surface for Djokovic is fast

Agree, that's why he has so much Cincinnati titles.
dazed1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #1116
country flag cveks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
I dont think Cincinati is fastest hardcourt. By my opinion its Paris.

Only reason why Djokovic never won Cinci , is bad schedule .

Toronto and Cincinati have same court speed .

But its exhausting to play Olympics , than Toronto, than Cincinati without rest and to win them all. Especially the latest.

If they re-schedule Cincinati one week later so that we have week of rest between Toronto and Cincinati Djokovic should have like at least 2 titles on Cincinati by now.

Thats why Federer skipped Toronto. He dont want to be beaten hard on either Toronto or Cinci because he knows he dont have enough juice in his tank to play them both on highest level.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #1117
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In his early days Djokovic was one dimensional ballbasher . Than he saw that with this kind of game he cant win against the best and that he needs to improve his defense as well. And he did.

Thats why some people are crying here.

They want faster courts because they think - that will make their favorites better and their opponents worse.
Yep. I remember that only a few years back Djokovic was just another Chardy with a better backhand. He had to work so hard to become the player that he is today. And we should all view him as a martyr for that.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #1118
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

let's be honest it's true.

my favorite player of all time, any era, any generation, is Rafael Nadal, who the slowest of the courts has benefited more than anyone but it is somewhat gross to watch a player hit 5 insane shots in a rally to no avail

beyond even Djokovic, look at Nadal, Ferrer, Murray, Federer- all of the top guys are incredible movers. besides Federer are any of them more talented or better hitters than the likes of Wawrinka, Tsonga, Soderling, etc? not really

obviously some courts are going to be slow, clay is a whole entire section of the season that is very slow, but to make the majority of hard court tournaments play very slowly is ludicrous. what happens is those who work very hard on technique and actually are naturals at the beauty of the sport will lose over and over and over to athletes just based on agility and speed. I hear time and time and time again how Novak Djokovic has the best blah blah shots but the reality it's not so much that any of his shots are particularly incredible, as much as the nature of him always being able to get to balls with plenty of time

posters here are obviously right, it's not a coincidence that defenders are all atop the ATP rankings. once again, besides Federer.

while I love a good battle as much as the next person, there becomes a point where you would expect SOME big tournaments to play fast and be tennis competitions rather than Olympic run-athons. tennis is, after all, more about how you hit the ball than speed, or at least I think it should be. obviously we are presented with a problem when a player can hit the ball much worse than his opponent yet still win a match just due to how slo-mo everything has become

I loved the Wawrinka-Djokovic match. it was great. but you're watching it and it obviously hits your mind at some point, "how am I watching a match where one guy is dictating play the whole time with aggressive and wonderfully placed shots yet still only tied up in the match?" not to take away from Djokovic, but it is appalling that a player like Wawrinka has played the majority of his careers on ridiculously slow courts, and that if the ATP were not retarded and actually allowed some tournaments to remain at a decent speed, the likes of him would have chances to be successful based on talent rather than purely athleticism.

Wawrinka and Djokovic are both great tennis players but at their cores you have to think that Stan is possibly more talented yet with way way less success? why? inconsistancy? yeah. choking at times? yeah. mentality/focus? sure. but also then you have to realize and take into account the fact that a player who is more of a pure ballstriker and less of a hedgehog running around will fail in this slow paced world of tennis surfaces. it is a bit unfair. for gods sake are we going to have to create an indoor Grand Slam just for the sake of being fair? better yet speed up Australia or the US OPen, or prefarably both. I love watching Nadal play, but something is seriously wrong when you watch those highlights from last years Australian Open of Nadal winning points even when Berdych hits what, 4,5,6 winning shots. it's ludicrous

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #1119
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
Not having titles in one tournament doesn't mean that can't be a good surface/your best And everyone in the big 4 has a Masters they haven't won yet. Anyway I would say Djokovic's best surface is hardcourts in general, the speed isn't really a huge factor.
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1120
country flag cveks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
let's be honest it's true.

my favorite player of all time, any era, any generation, is Rafael Nadal, who the slowest of the courts has benefited more than anyone but it is somewhat gross to watch a player hit 5 insane shots in a rally to no avail

beyond even Djokovic, look at Nadal, Ferrer, Murray, Federer- all of the top guys are incredible movers. besides Federer are any of them more talented or better hitters than the likes of Wawrinka, Tsonga, Soderling, etc? not really

obviously some courts are going to be slow, clay is a whole entire section of the season that is very slow, but to make the majority of hard court tournaments play very slowly is ludicrous. what happens is those who work very hard on technique and actually are naturals at the beauty of the sport will lose over and over and over to athletes just based on agility and speed. I hear time and time and time again how Novak Djokovic has the best blah blah shots but the reality it's not so much that any of his shots are particularly incredible, as much as the nature of him always being able to get to balls with plenty of time

posters here are obviously right, it's not a coincidence that defenders are all atop the ATP rankings. once again, besides Federer.

while I love a good battle as much as the next person, there becomes a point where you would expect SOME big tournaments to play fast and be tennis competitions rather than Olympic run-athons. tennis is, after all, more about how you hit the ball than speed, or at least I think it should be. obviously we are presented with a problem when a player can hit the ball much worse than his opponent yet still win a match just due to how slo-mo everything has become

I loved the Wawrinka-Djokovic match. it was great. but you're watching it and it obviously hits your mind at some point, "how am I watching a match where one guy is dictating play the whole time with aggressive and wonderfully placed shots yet still only tied up in the match?" not to take away from Djokovic, but it is appalling that a player like Wawrinka has played the majority of his careers on ridiculously slow courts, and that if the ATP were not retarded and actually allowed some tournaments to remain at a decent speed, the likes of him would have chances to be successful based on talent rather than purely athleticism.

Wawrinka and Djokovic are both great tennis players but at their cores you have to think that Stan is possibly more talented yet with way way less success? why? inconsistancy? yeah. choking at times? yeah. mentality/focus? sure. but also then you have to realize and take into account the fact that a player who is more of a pure ballstriker and less of a hedgehog running around will fail in this slow paced world of tennis surfaces. it is a bit unfair. for gods sake are we going to have to create an indoor Grand Slam just for the sake of being fair? better yet speed up Australia or the US OPen, or prefarably both. I love watching Nadal play, but something is seriously wrong when you watch those highlights from last years Australian Open of Nadal winning points even when Berdych hits what, 4,5,6 winning shots. it's ludicrous

You are frustrated because you wanted Wawrinka to win in your heart.

In same way I am frustrated when Djokovic plays against Murray .

He simply cant hit winner trough him because Murray is with Nadal best defender on tour and all matches between them are grinding fest with Murray trying same tactics as Wawa today and thats is "try to defend from the first few shots , slice and get ball back slowly than attack".

But thats way it is .

For me Wawrinka was defending better today in most of the match than Novak.

Especially in first set . Thats why Djokovic lost it so badly.

Wawrinka was able to play outstanding defense on Novak shots, than to use his offense to hit winners .

Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #1121
country flag RajFederer

RajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond reputeRajFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are frustrated because you wanted Wawrinka to win in your heart.

In same way I am frustrated when Djokovic plays against Murray .

He simply cant hit winner trough him because Murray is with Nadal best defender on tour and all matches between them are grinding fest with Murray trying same tactics as Wawa today and thats is "try to defend from the first few shots , slice and get ball back slowly than attack".

But thats way it is .

For me Wawrinka was defending better today in most of the match than Novak.

Especially in first set . Thats why Djokovic lost it so badly.

Wawrinka was able to play outstanding defense on Novak shots, than to use his offense to hit winners .
im sorry to say but yopu seriously did not watch the match with ur eyes open
RajFederer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #1122
country flag cveks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajFederer View Post
im sorry to say but yopu seriously did not watch the match with ur eyes open
so you think that Wawrinka breadsticked and broke Djokovic 2 times simply with his offense ?

Than you didnt look match with eyes open.

Wawrinka was defending so good on Djokovic serves . He was able to defend himself against all Djokovic attacks on his serve , than to position himself better in court, start to attack him , and hit winners .

You cant breadstick Djokovic in set without great defense.

When someone is serving to you, you must first defend yourself in at least 4-5 rallies , only after that you can attack , with exception when your opponent sends to you weak 2nd serve which rarely happens.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #1123
country flag piksi

piksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond reputepiksi has a reputation beyond repute

when you are paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket

do you want to see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbLF2a9bzz0

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNoNP...&feature=share
piksi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #1124
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piksi View Post
when you are paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket

do you want to see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbLF2a9bzz0

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNoNP...&feature=share

Yeah, because faster courts will make every single match on the ATP a serve fest. Their are still serve fests whenever the serve bots face eachother even on these slow courts.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #1125
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ppl want faster courts because there used to be faster courts.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote