Matthew Smith - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
country flag Robxon

Robxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond reputeRobxon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Matthew Smith

Another Brit who seems to have come alive in 2005. His performance in winning the futures event in Devon was an eye-opener.

With one week left in the current satellites, he has already collected at least 7 more points taking him into the 500s.

I have not had a chance to see him yet in 2005, so I was wondering whether this is just a flash in the pan or does he have the talent to continue on his upward march through the rankings?
Robxon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #2
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Matthew Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robxon
Another Brit who seems to have come alive in 2005. His performance in winning the futures event in Devon was an eye-opener.

With one week left in the current satellites, he has already collected at least 7 more points taking him into the 500s.

I have not had a chance to see him yet in 2005, so I was wondering whether this is just a flash in the pan or does he have the talent to continue on his upward march through the rankings?
He is undoubtedly a good player and I saw him play a few times for my school. However, I cannot see him getting into the top 250. He has beaten Ancic about 5 years ago but look at the differences in the 2 of them since. When Ancic beat Fed at Wimby 2002, Smith was ranked 1200. Only this year has he made some improvements but he is unlikely to do much better than beat the rest of our domestic players. Unless he puts more effort into training and practising, he will waste some of his extra talent.

I wasn't particularly impressed with his play at the Nottingham satellite event last November, but he did well enough to win a few rounds. His baseline play is good but his serve is a little too weak. He is a good attacking player but is quite hit and miss. Also, he has a very strange stance when receiving serve. He spreads his legs almost the width from the tramlines to the centre mark.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote