"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 73 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 298 80.54%
Leave them as they are 72 19.46%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #1081
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
I play a lot of tennis, and I am primarily a S&V player with a big serve.

I am just saying that I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to get rid of the second serve and eliminate all the servebots. Speed up the courts and single serves would still be a lot more effective than their current second serves. You would get a lot less aces / unreturnables but then it's more enjoyable to watch people win points with their ground games.

Yes, it would change the game substantially. But that is not necessarily always a bad thing.

Saying it would turn the ATP into the WTA is just silly talk. Do you really think that big servers is the only reason men's tennis is better than women's?
There's a whole tactical aspect in having two serves. A game with just one serve means a game where nobody risks ANY serve.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #1082
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

didnt we have this discussion in another thread about the court speed. NID
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 52m
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Naudio Spanlatine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #1083
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Novak gets through another match not on shotmaking or technical ability but grinding out his opponent a way only possible on ultra slow courts.

Disgusting stuff, Stanislas should've won today but the courts and umpiring is rigged to prevent clowns like Djokovic from ever losing a match before SF.
If court was faster Novak would win easier.

Majority of points which Stan has won was on his defense not offense . He started with good defense on Novak attacks than switching to his own offense.

If court was faster 70% of Novak shots which he returned should be winners.

Organizers want slow courts because of sponsors and crowd. Crowd like grinding 5-6 hours matches.
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #1084
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveks View Post
If court was faster Novak would win easier.

Majority of points which Stan has won was on his defense not offense . He started with good defense on Novak attacks than switching to his own offense.

If court was faster 70% of Novak shots which he returned should be winners.

Organizers want slow courts because of sponsors and crowd. Crowd like grinding 5-6 hours matches.
Not everything is about Djokovic.

Give us a break, please.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #1085
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

both guys struggled to hit winners because of slow courts. I dont like this kind of ultra slow courts either .

But blame organizers . They want it.

I think that best surface for Djokovic is fast or average speed because he can hit winners. You can see this kind of surface on Dubai .
Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #1086
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Money is the only language ATP speak.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #1087
country flag cveks

AO organizers add lot of sand into surface to slow it down

Quote:
Hard courts are made of uniform rigid material, offering greater consistency of bounce than other outdoor surfaces.[8] Hard courts can vary in speed, although they are faster than clay but not as fast as grass courts. The quantity of sand added to the paint can greatly affect the rate at which the ball slows down.[9] Hard courts are generally more equalizing than clay or grass in terms of playing style, although they favor harder-hitting baseliners and all-court styles with the current equipment. The US Open is played on an acrylic hard court, while the Australian Open is played on a synthetic hard court. The main difference between a synthetic hard court and a true hard court surface is the level of hardness. When the ball bounces on this surface it is faster than all other surfaces if there is not much sand in the top paint. The amount of sand used in the top paint and the size of the sand also determines the speed – more sand means less speed and larger sand particles will slow the speed of play. The amount of friction can also be altered and more friction will produce a clay court effect, where topspin is magnified. The extra grip and friction will resist the sliding effect of the ball and the resistance will force the ball to change its rotation. Although hard courts are the least expensive to maintain, they are generally more rough on the human body than other surfaces due to their rigidity.[10]
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #1088
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why its so gritty and DANGEROUS.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #1089
country flag cveks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
The orgasmic reactions of the crowd (casuals) to points like that are a key reason they've slowed down everything.

BTW it's common knowledge that at the AO, Wimbledon and USO, the outside courts are quicker than the main stadium courts. Armstrong is a lot faster than Ashe at the US Open. There's a Big Four bias and it stinks.
this is key thing.

They do all this because of people who come to stadiums and buy tickets .

You can watch for example Wimbledon final between Sampras and Ivanisevic and atmosphere there was like in theater or opera.

Thats why they slowed surface to get more this kind of points and keep matches more entertaining.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #1090
country flag cveks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Money is the only language ATP speak.
you cant blame them . Almost all people on the world speak same kind of language too.

We are all running for the money and to the money ....

So ATP crew and tournament directors cant be exception.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1091
country flag nick the greek
Banned!

nick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond reputenick the greek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Novak gets through another match not on shotmaking or technical ability but grinding out his opponent a way only possible on ultra slow courts.

Disgusting stuff, Stanislas should've won today but the courts and umpiring is rigged to prevent clowns like Djokovic from ever losing a match before SF.
nick the greek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1092
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

Courts should be faster. Only an idiot can disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #1093
country flag cveks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
It is difficult to watch as Novak runs down balls that would once have been good enough for winners and sends them back for winning lobs or passing shots. It is clear that being defensive and able to slide and run down balls on hard courts is more rewarded than great shotmaking and aggression. I thought slowing down the courts was partly to stop the dominance of big serves and first strike tennis on fast courts but it has gone too far the other way. Now the actual tennis skills with the racket are secondary to grinding athleticism.
And while the rallies are gasp worthy, they always were.
in many sports today defense is more important than offense and good attacking positions come from good defense at the first place.

Some of these sports are most popular one - basketball, football, handball, hockey, american football, rugby etc.

Simply the key thing in sport is - everybody wants to win and they try to figure out strategy and game plan to do it. If you rely only on offense you will loose in most of these sports, and finally they figured out that if you want to win for sure, defense is more important.

I understand that you dont like this in tennis - but thats the way it is.

I dont like either when Djokovic hit forehands and backhands which should be winners and Murray and Nadal get them back slowly with their moonballs or slicing but I need to live with it.

So you should do the same too.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #1094
country flag NSMv1924

NSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond reputeNSMv1924 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hahaha haters gonna hate! I love it! Without you losers Novak's victories just wouldn't be the same, keep it up!
NSMv1924 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #1095
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Speed of the game will always be some issue, but it wasn't Stan's. He was just mentally lacking in the most important moments in the match.