"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 72 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 298 80.54%
Leave them as they are 72 19.46%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #1066
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

I don't get it. This has been happening since the early 2000s. Many have complained, since then, that this artificial change would kill tennis' variety.

And people are complaining right now? Now it's all over - they've changed the game, with a very clear defensive bias.

Unfortunately, the slowing of the courts and "fitness" have transformed tennis into endurance cycling with a racket.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #1067
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
You seem to think that 'speed up the courts' means 'make everything as fast as Wimby grass in the early 90s'. There wasn't anything wrong with the speed of hardcourts during the early 00s, the AO and USO weren't serve fests back then.

Or here's a novel idea - speed up the courts substantially, but also take away the second serve. Why do players need it anyway? It was invented way back when the game was first designed, because you had uneven flannel balls and rickety old wooden racquets, and serving was so unpredictable that you often needed two goes to get it in. Nowadays it's totally unnecessary, the first serve is just a chance at a free point.
This must be one of the worst ideas I've ever read.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #1068
country flag howyesno

howyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond repute

joined in jan 2013? fishnet, I wouldn't be so quick to judge if I were you, this site has much more potential in that area. you are in for big surprise

Doesn't like:
Tomic, Almagro, Murray
howyesno is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #1069
country flag rinnegan

rinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond repute

All these threads from scared Fedtards. I can't keep up.
Grigor Dimitrov • Ernests Gulbis
Andre Agassi • Mario Ancic • Marat Safin

Thank you for everything, Sir Alex Ferguson!
rinnegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #1070
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
This must be one of the worst ideas I've ever read.
Not really. It would change the game substantially, but it would mean less servebots, and you could speed up the courts and still have plenty of rallies AND the opportunity for aggressive play.

I mean, think about it. The serve was never supposed to be a way to regularly get free points. It's supposed to be the way to start the point. In every other 'net' sport (badminton, volleyball, table tennis) you only get one serve. Tennis you get two because back in the old days, it was so hard to get a serve in that a lot of the time you missed your first try.

Nowadays with the changed equipment people could easily get their first serve if they had to, so the original reason for 2 serves has disappeared.

I'm not saying it's something I'm in favour of. Just that it's food for thought.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #1071
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Not really. It would change the game substantially, but it would mean less servebots, and you could speed up the courts and still have a decent number of rallies.

I mean, the serve was never supposed to be a way to regularly get free points. It's supposed to be the way to start the point. In every other 'net' sport (badminton, volleyball, table tennis) you only get one serve. Tennis you get two because back in the old days, it was so hard to get a serve in that a lot of the time you missed your first try.

Nowadays people could easily get their first serve if they had to, so the original reason for 2 serves has disappeared.

I'm not saying it's something I'm in favour of. Just that it's food for thought.
I assume you've never played tennis.

Serving well is just a developed talent as any other shot and aspect of the game. You speak as if it were something "cheap". It's probably the hardest shot to master in this sport and whoever manages to have a level of execution as good as players like Raonic in the present and Sampras in the past have must have a chance to use it to win points.

Taking away the second serve would turn the ATP into the WTA, that is: crap.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #1072
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

There was nothing wrong with the surfaces in 2002-03. So why continue to slow them?
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #1073
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyesno View Post
joined in jan 2013? fishnet, I wouldn't be so quick to judge if I were you, this site has much more potential in that area. you are in for big surprise

Don't scare me, my friend.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #1074
country flag SilverSlam
No.1vak

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond reputeSilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Novak gets through another match not on shotmaking or technical ability but grinding out his opponent a way only possible on ultra slow courts.

Disgusting stuff, Stanislas should've won today but the courts and umpiring is rigged to prevent clowns like Djokovic from ever losing a match before SF.
You troll on MTF too

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
You are American, right?
On TF he's croatian I'm pretty sure
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #1075
country flag choppaa

choppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond reputechoppaa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Novak gets through another match not on shotmaking or technical ability but grinding out his opponent a way only possible on ultra slow courts.

Disgusting stuff, Stanislas should've won today but the courts and umpiring is rigged to prevent clowns like Djokovic from ever losing a match before SF.
No, Novak should've won way earlier, he gave Stan many easy misses on Stan's serve. Many second serve returns he dumped at the net, played too aggressive when he didn't need to, too passive when he had to. That point in tie-break, 6-5 on Stan's serve, he had him so wide on the right side only to bash the ball 5 meters long when he had open court. Stan played great but a Novak wasn't very good. That's why Stan was so close.

Btw Federer said it's playing a tiny bit faster this year and I believe him, he is always very vocal about court speed.
choppaa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #1076
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
I assume you've never played tennis.

Serving well is just a developed talent as any other shot and aspect of the game. You speak as if it were something "cheap". It's probably the hardest shot to master in this sport and whoever manages to have a level of execution as good as players like Raonic in the present and Sampras in the past have must have a chance to use it to win points.

Taking away the second serve would turn the ATP into the WTA, that is: crap.
I play a lot of tennis, and I am primarily a S&V player with a big serve.

I am just saying that I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to get rid of the second serve and eliminate all the servebots. Speed up the courts and single serves would still be a lot more effective than their current second serves. You would get a lot less aces / unreturnables but then it's more enjoyable to watch people win points with their ground games.

Yes, it would change the game substantially. But that is not necessarily always a bad thing.

Saying it would turn the ATP into the WTA is just silly talk. Do you really think that big servers is the only reason men's tennis is better than women's?
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #1077
country flag Kooyong

Kooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the court was that slow when Stan lead 61 52

I'm not sure how they can speed the court up, maybe change the balls.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #1078
country flag Kooyong

Kooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond reputeKooyong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
There was nothing wrong with the surfaces in 2002-03. So why continue to slow them?
I might be mistaken but I recall the courts were slowed down to help Hewitt.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #1079
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yup, it's very sad for the sport though that defense has become so prevalent over attack. That's two points right there where the biggest hitter on tour kept crushing forehands at full power and they just kept coming back.

Big 4 bias is NID
Get on to the ATP lenders

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #1080
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

It is difficult to watch as Novak runs down balls that would once have been good enough for winners and sends them back for winning lobs or passing shots. It is clear that being defensive and able to slide and run down balls on hard courts is more rewarded than great shotmaking and aggression. I thought slowing down the courts was partly to stop the dominance of big serves and first strike tennis on fast courts but it has gone too far the other way. Now the actual tennis skills with the racket are secondary to grinding athleticism.
And while the rallies are gasp worthy, they always were.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/07/novak-...s-open-series/
Djokovic and Nadal rivalry enters another chapter as US Open Series begins
fluffyyelloballz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote