Fed/Tomic 2012 versus Fed/Tomic 2013 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
country flag mikeqq

mikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fed/Tomic 2012 versus Fed/Tomic 2013

Hi all,

Hope if it's ok if I start a separate thread on this. I just wanted to compare Federer's performance against Tomic in 2012 and 2013.

I thought he played a lot more relaxed and passively this year compared to 2012. The match last year was humiliating for Tomic, with Federer hitting winners left, right, and centre. Federer played with great intensity and urgency in 2012 against Tomic. Today it felt like he was just sitting on cruise control.

In today's match he seems happy enough just to get the ball back most of the time, and produced some loose errors. I was worried especially in set 2, as he was constantly playing BPs extremely passively and not converting.

I think Fed was purposely playing at half capacity today in order to conserve energy, a tactic he may use more and more as he gets older. I saw this in the match against Davydenko as well.

Hopefully he can pull out the intensity I've been missing in the later matches, especially if he meets Murray in the semifinal, or Djokovic in the final.

Cheers for reading.
mikeqq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed/Tomic 2012 versus Fed/Tomic 2013

federer is a year closer to retirement and tomic is a year closer to his 'peak' compare to in 2012, so its not surprising that the match this time was closer
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
country flag Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond repute

Courier and Hewitt said there has been no decline in Federer's game and the reason he hasn't been winning as many majors as he did from 04-07 and this is Hewitt's words btw "Rafa and Novak came along".

Courier also said that the only difference he can spot in Fed's game is with his FH. Against Rafa and Novak he believes that Fed is prone to making errors off the FH side against them mainly because Fed knows they are incredible at defending so he is under the illusion he has to go for more or else it's coming back.

I noticed tonight Fed was sliding a lot more than I usually see him slide on HC, but Tomic played much more aggresively tonight compared to last year and this was forcing Federer to have to play a bit more defensive. Tomic was at times dictating a lot of the play.
Sharpshooter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
Courier and Hewitt said there has been no decline in Federer's game and the reason he hasn't been winning as many majors as he did from 04-07 and this is Hewitt's words btw "Rafa and Novak came along".

Courier also said that the only difference he can spot in Fed's game is with his FH. Against Rafa and Novak he believes that Fed is prone to making errors off the FH side against them mainly because Fed knows they are incredible at defending so he is under the illusion he has to go for more or else it's coming back.

I noticed tonight Fed was sliding a lot more than I usually see him slide on HC, but Tomic played much more aggresively tonight compared to last year and this was forcing Federer to have to play a bit more defensive. Tomic was at times dictating a lot of the play.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
country flag Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Sorry Fedtard, I didn't realise you know more than Courier and Hewitt.
Sharpshooter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

No decline with Federer? He's a step and a half slower than he used to be. This affects so much of his game. He can no longer be as aggressive as he was, and he drops the ball short way more often than he used to.

OT: Tomic has improved alot, this much is clear. His footwork is alot better, and so are his serve and especially his forehand. If he keeps this up he might seriously threaten Fed next year.

"a place for vultures and mugs to express their opinions about other vultures and mugs"
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
country flag Gusztav

Gusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond reputeGusztav has a reputation beyond repute

OP, we must have been watching completely different matches, I have it exactly the other way around.
Gusztav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With that reply, you claim to be unbiased. Let me guess - you're a Djokotard .

EDIT: This is what Fed thinks about your logic.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

When Federer retires, he can sell his anti-ageing formula, and make millions.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Before attacking other poster about this, you should realize that tennis "experts", commentators, retired players, even some active players have an agenda to promote tennis. They need to say stuff that give a positive light on current tennis (Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and younger generation). Fed is a declining legend on his way out. If they say stuff like "This Federer, even in his 30s and a step slower, still owning these youngsters with ease", it would not have a positive impact on casual and potential fans.

Murray in a recent interview (I forgot where I watched the video) was saying along the lines where he likes to find weaknesses in Fed's game when Fed was still at his best. And then, as though he doesn't want to came out sounding like he was dissing the current Federer, said something like "well, he's a still great player now". It can be implied that Murray think that Fed is not as good as he once was.

If you think I'm reaching with the Murray story, then there's a very easy way to know how Fed has declined. Use your eyes. Watch videos of Fed at his prime. Or just remember it, if you followed tennis long enough.
paseo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

We all know how Fed/Tomic 2014 is going to end:

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote