Djokovic on Armstrong, cycling, doping etc - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #46
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic on Armstrong, cycling, doping etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by End da Game View Post
weird how so much questioning by the press put to djokovic was on lance armstrong, who knew cycling was even that big?
because the implications are even bigger
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #47
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
weird how so much questioning by the press put to djokovic was on lance armstrong, who knew cycling was even that big?
tennis players practice uphill cycling to improve their stamina.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #48
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because the press, instead of watching the match, watched Oprah's interview. They can't ask anything about the match as they did not watch so they had to ask about Lance.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #49
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, the press gets pretty sick and tire asking the top players. For Nole, this is at least the 4th press in less than a week. Even in his last post match interview, the press asked mostly about Harrison than Nole. But there's hardly anything else to ask other than repeating the same old same old.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #50
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Because the press, instead of watching the match, watched Oprah's interview. They can't ask anything about the match as they did not watch so they had to ask about Lance.
Bingo
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #51
country flag sanshisan

sanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond reputesanshisan has a reputation beyond repute

The interview repeatedly asked about increasing BLOOD TESTING. That would literally be a real pain. As anyone can tell you who has had frequent blood tests, the needle can result in bruising and muscle soreness. Injection points are also in danger of infection. I think its unfair to ask athletes to endure this kind of invasive testing.

Urine or perhaps saliva testing is the only other way. However part of the problem is that the technology for testing is always behind the latest performance enhancing drug.

Steroids don't do that much for tennis players who rely more on reflexes, balance, quickness and skill rather than strength. It is the oxygen enhancing PEDs which Dr. Fuentes is said to have used on some Spanish players which are the most concerning. This type of PED allows body to make greater use of oxygen in the blood. This increases endurance for long grinding 5 setters. You still have to be a great tennis player to win, but the enhanced oxygen PED gives a player vastly increased endurance.
sanshisan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #52
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
As far as Armstrong goes, is it really cheating everyone in the sport was all taking the same stuff? That's like saying I scored a 78 but the teacher curved that letter grade from a C+ to a be B+...it's not cheating because everyone was graded on the same curve. Lance Armstrong is a hero and also one of the greatest athletes of our generation. He was the best cyclist the world has ever seen, even if he and athletes he competed against took substances deemed "illegal" by the sport.
A certain Mr. Eddy Merckx send his warm regards. Armstrong is no more than a psychopath obsessed with winning at any cost.

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietè)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #53
country flag NID

NID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond reputeNID has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As far as Armstrong goes, is it really cheating everyone in the sport was all taking the same stuff? That's like saying I scored a 78 but the teacher curved that letter grade from a C+ to a be B+...it's not cheating because everyone was graded on the same curve. Lance Armstrong is a hero and also one of the greatest athletes of our generation. He was the best cyclist the world has ever seen, even if he and athletes he competed against took substances deemed "illegal" by the sport.
so...djokovic is a hypocrite and armstrong is a hero.

ok.
NID is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #54
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanshisan View Post
The interview repeatedly asked about increasing BLOOD TESTING. That would literally be a real pain. As anyone can tell you who has had frequent blood tests, the needle can result in bruising and muscle soreness. Injection points are also in danger of infection. I think its unfair to ask athletes to endure this kind of invasive testing.

Urine or perhaps saliva testing is the only other way. However part of the problem is that the technology for testing is always behind the latest performance enhancing drug.

Steroids don't do that much for tennis players who rely more on reflexes, balance, quickness and skill rather than strength. It is the oxygen enhancing PEDs which Dr. Fuentes is said to have used on some Spanish players which are the most concerning. This type of PED allows body to make greater use of oxygen in the blood. This increases endurance for long grinding 5 setters. You still have to be a great tennis player to win, but the enhanced oxygen PED gives a player vastly increased endurance.
Thanks for the insight
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #55
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Americans believe anything their media feeds them
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #56
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
That's a cop-out. I understand he doesn't want to make headlines, but he was put the question as the number 1 player in the world. He had a big opportunity to have an impact here and he took the easy way out.
I don't think so. Even though he's #1 at the moment, don't think he can exert much of an influence, don't think even someone like Federer could change things single-handedly, and could probably just damage himself and/or make the tournament look bad. Remember that place wasn't some anti-drug panel, it was just a regular post-match interview, and they almost ignored the match.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #57
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I presume this is meant sarcastically, but just in case someone misunderstand and believes it - Armstrong was never listed among the ten best cyclists ever by merits before his titles were stripped away. This from lists made by cycling aficionados.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #58
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I don't think so. Even though he's #1 at the moment, don't think he can exert much of an influence, don't think even someone like Federer could change things single-handedly, and could probably just damage himself and/or make the tournament look bad. Remember that place wasn't some anti-drug panel, it was just a regular post-match interview, and they almost ignored the match.
Look at how much publicity his nothing-comments about doping have received. Can you even imagine how big a story it would have been if he'd come out and said "testing is 20 years out of date, the system's a joke, it needs to change"?

The guy has massive influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko05 View Post
But, he's been straightforward about the huge gap in blood testing. Is it his job to conduct those tests and find possible culprits? And don't give me that crap about conspiracy or they don't know how to do it. If there is such a widespread notion about doping in tennis they'd know how to isolate the suspects and not by the means of testing or such.There are professionals who know how to conduct a probe, involve informers, create a network...
There is an overriding perception by the general public that tennis is a clean sport. The problem is that we don't know because the testing is so bad.

If it is going to change, it needs top players bringing attention to how pathetic the system is. That doesn't just mean Djokovic, but he was the one who the question was put to in this instance. He had the opportunity to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
uh, oh, you assume. what a silly post. because you assume we are supposed to believe that Nole, Fed and Nadal or whoever are doping. Maybe they've worked hard to get where they are. Let's assume that Borg and JMac were doping too ? sorry for my sarcasm but Armstrong is a proven doper/cheater. use some logic before you post.
Modern tennis is a highly competitive and increasingly physical sport, where the athletes have big injury problems, and there is massive amounts of money at stake. There are also pretty much zero effective doping controls. From what we have seen in other sports with stronger controls it is natural to assume that people are taking performance enhancing drugs, probably on a large scale. There is no reason to think that the top players would be exempt from that.

If you are assuming that doping is practically nonexistent on the tour (as the ATP/ITF would have you believe) then really, you are the silly one.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #59
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Look at how much publicity his nothing-comments about doping have received. Can you even imagine how big a story it would have been if he'd come out and said "testing is 20 years out of date, the system's a joke, it needs to change"?

The guy has massive influence.
This might be naivete on my part, but can we be certain tennis players are even aware of the deficiency of the doping testing in tennis? Several posters here are very knowledgeable on this subject and wish to see tennis in an as clean state as possible (and I salute them for that), but to assume the players themselves possess this knowledge is overly cynical in my opinion.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #60
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Those claiming all top level tennis players have doped at some point in their careers - are you including Nadal in that population?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote