Courier: Olympics = 5th major! - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #61
country flag Crystalised.

Crystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond reputeCrystalised. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Even if it is the 5th most important event in tennis the gap between the Olympics and the actual majors is way too big for it to be called the "5th major".

I'm not sure if I'd put Olympics ahead of WTF. A few years back definitely not but after the games last year I'd say it's becoming the 5th biggest event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Olympics is greater than WTF because of two key reasons:

1. It is held once in four years, making the chances to get the title less in a player's career.
2. Getting an Olympic gold medal is much more popular around the world than getting the WTF title. Non-tennis fans can appreciate the medal more than the WTF title. It's more prestige gained inside the biggest sporting competition on the planet.
Non tennis fans might even think that Olympics>slams. Recognition matters more when it's actually from people that know about tennis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #62
country flag Lemon Water
Banned!

Lemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond reputeLemon Water has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
The correct answer is that the Olympics are a different entity with a different aura to the slams and WTF, and the prestige of it can be decided by anyone. For example how much it meant to Delpo to win a bronze, whereas other players like Roddick and Hewitt skipped previous Games.

The gold is a unique prize to have though especially given you can only win it every four years
Hewitt and Roddick knew they stood no chance in 2008 the year of the Gladiator.
Lemon Water is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #63
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Water View Post
Hewitt and Roddick knew they stood no chance in 2008 the year of the Gladiator.
Hewitt didn't play in 2004. He played in 08 and lost to Nadal en route to his gold.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #64
country flag Gullyfoyle

Gullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond reputeGullyfoyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
But that's not true? Many players chose to play low level tournaments in the USA instead of the Olympics, Nadal didn't care to play at all, and that's in 2012 when the full force of the British media were trying to pretend it matters. Do you really think Federer put his best effort to win the gold instead of the silver? Especially after we saw what he can do against Murray on the exact same court if he really cares.
Oh' the bollock's in this post is astounding
Gullyfoyle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #65
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Tend to feel that none of the events should be called a 5th GS.

7 rounds of best of 5 set matches is unique to GS events.

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 21 Master Series.
Nadal 13 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 26 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 6 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 18 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #66
country flag Albatoss

Albatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatoss has a reputation beyond repute

It's only every 4 years though so it can't be considered a major in my mind.
Albatoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #67
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Not the 5th GS, by any stretch of the imagination. But it's a matter of opinion.

It's special and unique. It's an individual event that greatly represents the success upon the medalists' country. Winning it is one of the hardest things to do in a Tennis players' career due to the 4 years it takes for the next one, no matter how hard trolls try to belittle it because their favourite flopped and a player they despise was victorious.

I personally preferred Murray winning Olympic Gold over Wimbledon last year. Djokovic and Federer will probably never win it for their country, while Andy still has several opportunities to win Wimbledon now that he has already given his country the greatest victory of all.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #68
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Water View Post
Makes no sense. The fact that entry is restricted to certain number of players from each country highlights how difficult it is to enter Olympics, let alone win it. They have to be the best in their countries.
same goes about the WTF no? have to be the 8 best of the world no?

a slam is a slam and not so long ago o one cared about tennis in the OG
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #69
country flag Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond reputeSharpshooter has a reputation beyond repute

Federer obviously cares about it, so much so, that he wants to make it to Rio 2016.

It shouldn't be considered an actual 5th major, but I don't think that's what Courier meant. I think he meant that it is (in his mind) definitely the next most important tournament to the players AFTER the 4 majors.

WTF is important too, more important than a regular Masters shield but less than Olympics imo. I just can't justify how it is POSSIBLE to lose twice and still win the title. Not sure if that's ever happened BUT it doesn't change the fact that it's possible. This format does make it seem like a glorified exhibition at times especially when you can see players don't really care about it that much these days. (Novak a couple years back was more focussed on Davis Cup as was Nadal at the end of 2011)

THere is however one thing I know for certain, if the WTF was on clay and Rafa had won 6 of them, I'm sure the Federer fans would be singing a different tune...
Sharpshooter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #70
country flag Murray Mint

Murray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond reputeMurray Mint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
the biggest issue is that winning isn't the most important goal, getting a medal is. The real fights were in the SF between Del Po/Federer and Del Po/Djokovic in the Bronze medal match, once you medal it doesn't really matter.

This is actually funnier than the desperate attempts to convince people that Rog didn't care about winning the gold medal.

Nowadays, the Olympics is obviously the next biggest win after the 4 slams. The players know it, anyone with a clue knows it, the only people that don't are the 'experts' that think a lower status historically means that it must have a low status today... like people on this forum that claim a masters title is bigger, etc. As someone has already suggested, look at what the Australian Open used to be perceived as... yet I'm sure when Novak won his first slam we didn't have people suggesting that it was a Mickey Mouse win and he still had everything to prove. Though actually, on this forum I wouldn't be surprised if there were such suggestions.

Rafa was devastated that he couldn't go for gold again, Novak went off and took a saw to his rackets after losing, Roger is desperate to play in Rio when he's 34......... but they don't care about the Olympics, of course not!
Murray Mint is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #71
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post
The Olympics and the Davis Cup are the most prestigious events in tennis. Anyone with two brain cells knows that.
Still bitter Noserer got thrashed by Annie Mugray for Olympic gold and got humiliated by Blake and Berdshit during previous OGs? Keep the bitterness coming, bro. At least your idol has doubles gold with his pet, not to mention the super prestigious silver
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #72
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
to be an Olympic champion you have to win it in Singles you know and it's also funny how Fed,Nadal,Nole are Wimbledon champions and Windy Mandy is not
Err, no, you don't.

You need to win a gold medal in an Olympic event to be an Olympic champion.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #73
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
This. Olympics therefore equal value of 4 slams.
But there's 4 slams each year, so make that 16.

Wow, Mandy already has as many GSs as Fed!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #74
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
But there's 4 slams each year, so make that 16.

Wow, Mandy already has as many GSs as Fed!!!
Highlander destroyed Noserer in finals, loved bitter fangirls like Durr crying because their idol was denied yet again. But, really doubles gold is just as good
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #75
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

It sure is after Massu won it
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
23 consecutive slam SF
Proving the haters wrong...priceless
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote