Djozniacki...doomsday prepping? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #46
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djozniacki...doomsday prepping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Even your last statement is questionable. The Nadal case is a bit tricky to use, since he well, hardly played at all. But what if Player A has 3 slams and Player B has 1 or zero, but better results in other tournaments and thus more points. I wouldn't call that Player B has performed better in the past 52 weeks.
No way can such situation happen outside theory, holder of 3 slams was always comfortable #1.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #47
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
No way can such situation happen outside theory, holder of 3 slams was always comfortable #1.
Sure it can. Nearly happened in 2011.

Nadal held Wimbledon, US Open and Roland Garros. And before Wimbledon 2011 he had a very small lead.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #48
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

But it was still a lead. If he won Wimbledon he would've stayed #1.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #49
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
All the Fedtards that were defending him when I and others claimed that Djokovic was clearly the better player during the fall of 2012. But no, 'Rankings don't lie'

Even your last statement is questionable. The Nadal case is a bit tricky to use, since he well, hardly played at all. But what if Player A has 3 slams and Player B has 1 or zero, but better results in other tournaments and thus more points. I wouldn't call that Player B has performed better in the past 52 weeks.

Rankings reward slams with more points, but this is still nowhere representative to importance for my liking. No way do 2 masters equal 1 slam.
That has to do with the weight given to each tournament and each round in each tournament. Slams are important but are not everything. You still have the WTF and 9 masters 1000 tournaments. The weights are what they are.

If you don't like it take it up with the ATP.

I revise my "questionable statement": "Rankings tell you how a player has done in terms of results in the past 52 weeks, according to the way points are distributed which may be a subjective topic.

Right now nadal has had better results in tournaments in the past 52 weeks. After the AO Ferrer will have better results in tournaments in the past 52 weeks. Seems pretty accurate to me."

Also, about player A being better than player B, usually (barring injury lay offs) when a player has amassed more points in tournaments in the past 52 weeks than player B then player A is the best player when looking at the past 52 weeks.

In Roger's case last year he took advantage of having won 3 tournaments in the end of 2011 (3000 points) and build up his ranking from that. You could say that those results meant little when talking about the best player in a certain point in time in 2012 when those results are still counting. Maybe yes maybe not but we have to have a time frame and right now is 1 year for the rankings.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
country flag dazed1

dazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
while sending Noserer into retirement along the way.
Another of your "great predictions"?

P.S. for any additional info, check out my sig.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #51
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
Another of your "great predictions"?

P.S. for any additional info, check out my sig.
Great quote. What year is it from?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #52
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But you said it was only possible in theory and the holder of 3 slams always had a comfortable lead. And well, that's just not true. It's very well possible given how the rankings are, and it nearly happened.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #53
country flag dazed1

dazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond reputedazed1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
Great quote. What year is it from?

Last edited by dazed1 : 01-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.
dazed1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #54
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
Surely this is a typo.

Also:

ATP Rankings the week of: February 14, 2011
1. Nadal (slams won in last 52 weeks: 3)
2. Federer (slams won in last 52 weeks: 0)
3. Djokovic (slams won in last 52 weeks: 1)

"Slamless" Fed was ahead of Novak even though Novak was holding a slam.

The rankings are what they are. Whoever holds the No. 1 ranking probably already won a slam at some point in their career, which more than justifies the top ranking. Whether you won one in the past 52 weeks is irrelevant.
You explained it perfectly. That the other clowns listen is a completely different matter.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #55
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic fans saying "the rankings are what they are" is really funny.

They seem to have forgotten that just a few months ago, they were insulting the very same system and calling Federer the "Computer #1"
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #56
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

What a dumb thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
You never know with Djokovic. He is as predictable as Calgary weather.
Nole Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #57
country flag Alcibiades

Alcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond reputeAlcibiades has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually,no.Djoko would have been #1 even had he lost the Wimby 2011 final.

Krajinovic - Dodig - Dolgopolov - Baghdatis - Raonic - Fish - Soderling - Ferrero

Novak Djokovic
4 AO; 2 Wimbledon; 1 USO; 19 MS; 3 WTF; 45 Career titles; Olympic Bronze Medalist; Davis Cup 2010; YE #1 2011,2012
Alcibiades is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #58
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
Djokovic fans saying "the rankings are what they are" is really funny.

They seem to have forgotten that just a few months ago, they were insulting the very same system and calling Federer the "Computer #1"
listen, there are silly tards in all fan basis. you can't generalize things like this. I can see you are only 22yo but think before you post.

Fed was a very legit #1 after Wimbledon. and this is coming from a Nole tard (who became his 'tard' back in 2006 when Novak was a nobody).

rankings simply reflect how consistent you are. again, thank God, guys are doing a great job and God forbid if the ATP ever turns into that WTA mess.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #59
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
listen, there are silly tards in all fan basis. you can't generalize things like this. I can see you are only 22yo but think before you post.

Fed was a very legit #1 after Wimbledon. and this is coming from a Nole tard (who became his 'tard' back in 2006 when Novak was a nobody).

rankings simply reflect how consistent you are. again, thank God, guys are doing a great job and God forbid if the ATP ever turns into that WTA mess.
What has my age got to do with this?

I have nothing against the ranking system. I even like it. If you dig up my older posts you will see me defending the system many times when people talk about Player X not deserving to be in the top 10 or Player Y "vulturing" tournaments. I believe Federer was a "legit #1" after Wimbledon, and even if he does not win AO, Novak will be so too.

That said, my point remains the same. I find it funny that the very same group that was attacking the ranking system a few months ago is now defending it, and vice versa. It may be (partially) a different section of the fanbase doing the respective activities. It doesn't matter. I do not recall seeing any Djokovic fans defending the system back when Federer was #1.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #60
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
Only Murray can defeat Djokovic in AO, them both boring each other to death like they did in Usopen.

It is too slow for Federer to defeat Djokovic, I think he is favorite against Murray but he wont beat Djokovic here.
It's faster than the last USO. Check the stats
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote