Courier: Olympics = 5th major! - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #31
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
Olympics is greater than WTF because of two key reasons:

1. It is held once in four years, making the chances to get the title less in a player's career.
2. Getting an Olympic gold medal is much more popular around the world than getting the WTF title. Non-tennis fans can appreciate the medal more than the WTF title. It's more prestige gained inside the biggest sporting competition on the planet.
But we are hard-core tennis fans and we know better!
Quote:
Originally posted by SheepleBuster
At least, the pro trolls use Nole's picture in their avatar to show their support. The really low level ones stick with a Gustavo Kuerton... loooooooool
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
country flag The Fearhand

The Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fearhand has a reputation beyond repute

Olympics are more important than Slams. Like mentioned before you represent your nation in the biggest sporting event for a competition that is every 4 years. So a player getting one is incredibly difficult. You barely have 2-3 times to get it which is insanely hard considering you go up against the best of the best especially these past 10 years. You ask the top 4...a slam title or singles olympic gold ? All 4 wouldn't even hesitate.

So in that sense you can't call it a slam because it's a different breed. Olympics are olympics, slams are slams.
The Fearhand is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #33
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
WTF has always been the closest to a 5th slam, sometimes even a 4th slam when the AO was a joke (WCT finals would be the 5th slam). But I don't expect someone who just started watching tennis to know anything about what makes the slams important other than what ESPN tells you...

Olympics is a joke, besides all the many problems there are qualifying it as even a tournament (every 4 years, changing venue and surface and country, no history) the biggest issue is that winning isn't the most important goal, getting a medal is. The real fights were in the SF between Del Po/Federer and Del Po/Djokovic in the Bronze medal match, once you medal it doesn't really matter.

I understand hyping the olympics before the USO win, Murraytards were desperate for years for anything. But now it's just pathetic, the USO was a disgrace but at least it was a slam not a media creation.
Clown. It is much more important to get gold than silver or bronze.... oh wait Olderer only has a silver in singles, how convent of you, an Olderer tard, to say something like that. You can be sure if Fed had a singles gold medal you would be singing a very different tune.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!+ Humanitarian world no.1 2014
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
country flag Fed Muzza Killer

Fed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond reputeFed Muzza Killer has a reputation beyond repute

There are only 4 GSs outthere.

GOATerer
Fed Muzza Killer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #35
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
During tonight's coverage, Jim Courier stated that in his mind the Olympics is the 5th major and the reason why? Because the players certainly treat it that way! He goes on to state that therefore in his opinion Murray was the player of the season 2012. He also says that it's a big reason for Federer to be motivated to make it to the Rio 2016 games.

I'd also rate it as the next important tournament after the 4 majors as well, you can see how much it means to the players and the final is best of 5.
A tournament which doesn't even include close to as many players as a Grand Slam and is best of 3 up until the final can never be spoken of in the same light as such.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
country flag SliceAce
Banned!

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
Clown. It is much more important to get gold than silver or bronze.... oh wait Olderer only has a silver in singles, how convent of you, an Olderer tard, to say something like that. You can be sure if Fed had a singles gold medal you would be singing a very different tune.
I don't think there's a single Murraytard, including Murray himself who would not trade the OG win and Wimbledon loss for the reverse. The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon, but that's all it will ever be, a slam warmup and inconvenience in the schedule every 4 years.

If Federer hadn't won silver in 2012 or gold in 2008 I wouldn't care, just like I don't care that he hasn't won Abu Dhabi, the Challenger tour finals, and other meaningless events with about as much history as the Olympics. I also don't care that he hasn't won Davis cup the same reason Murray shouldn't care, it's not an individual event (neither is the Olympics btw) and has very little to do with how good you are as a player. Winning the Olympics is like winning the Davis Cup, it's mostly down to luck and surface choice.
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

SliceAce is making sense.............am I being punk'd?
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #38
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon
How could it be a warm-up when it was after?
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #39
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think there's a single Murraytard, including Murray himself who would not trade the OG win and Wimbledon loss for the reverse. The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon, but that's all it will ever be, a slam warmup and inconvenience in the schedule every 4 years.

If Federer hadn't won silver in 2012 or gold in 2008 I wouldn't care, just like I don't care that he hasn't won Abu Dhabi, the Challenger tour finals, and other meaningless events with about as much history as the Olympics. I also don't care that he hasn't won Davis cup the same reason Murray shouldn't care, it's not an individual event (neither is the Olympics btw) and has very little to do with how good you are as a player. Winning the Olympics is like winning the Davis Cup, it's mostly down to luck and surface choice.
It was after Wimbledon.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbg View Post
How could it be a warm-up when it was after?

Because SliceAce is a living mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
SliceAce is making sense.............am I being punk'd?
Yeah, he really made sense

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #41
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The OG last year was probably the most important it will ever be because it was a warm up for Wimbledon, but that's all it will ever be, a slam warmup and inconvenience in the schedule every 4 years.
You know the Olympics were after Wimbledon, right?

Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisCup2014 View Post
Then get him out of your avatar and sig talking about him like that, disgrace.
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Criticism of Federer = Thoughtcrime
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #42
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, Wimbledon was the warm-up for the Olympics Anyway, there 4 majors, full stop. Beyond that it's all individual, some would like more slams, some to win something for the country, or to win for the country as part of a team etc
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #43
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Olympics is the 5th major and anyone who disagrees needs to get their head checked.

While we are at it, let's not forget that Miami, Indian Wells and Abu Dhabi are also the 5th major. So, we have 4 "main" majors, and 4 5th majors.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

olympics rank leser than WTF because tennis is an annual sport and not a 4 year sport like atletics and swimming . SO an annual event which the top players play will be more important .

It tougher to win yes but it also needs luck that you play your best tennis in those 2 weeks . Novak was in God mode in 2011 and would have won the gold blind folded but it wasnt held that year . Why should 2011 Nole get penalised for not winning a gold when he never got a chance to do it that year . It just seems wrong
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #45
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
olympics rank leser than WTF because tennis is an annual sport and not a 4 year sport like atletics and swimming . SO an annual event which the top players play will be more important .

It tougher to win yes but it also needs luck that you play your best tennis in those 2 weeks . Novak was in God mode in 2011 and would have won the gold blind folded but it wasnt held that year . Why should 2011 Nole get penalised for not winning a gold when he never got a chance to do it that year . It just seems wrong
Yes, so sad for Djokovic. The fact that Federer has won 6 WTF's and 0 gold medals in singles (as opposed to his arch nemesis Nadal) obviously has no effect on your judgement
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisCup2014 View Post
Then get him out of your avatar and sig talking about him like that, disgrace.
Fedtardism = Ingsoc

FEDERER IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS FEDERER

FEDERER IS STRENGTH

Criticism of Federer = Thoughtcrime
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote