Courier: Olympics = 5th major! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Courier: Olympics = 5th major!

its a simple Q, what do u think a play would like to win - the OG or a slam?
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
so you'd rather for Fed to have 7 Davis Cup titles than 7 Wimbledons?
Of course he would! But reality is one cruel bitch and one can only wish
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't read the replies, but I suppose there are some clowns saying the WTF are more important than the Olympics.
Ruben Ramirez was in a hotel in Rio Preto Brasil last year when his doubles partner Ferreiro decided to go see the night in the city. He opened his arms widely and said: que pasa man? we have match tomorrow.

Legend.
Quote:
“Some players say to me, ‘Why are you still playing?’ ” Ramirez Hidalgo said. “I still play because tennis is my life. Tennis gives me everything, more than I dreamed when I was young.”
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
country flag SliceAce
Banned!

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

When Nadaltards said this, it was dumb. When Murraytards say it, it's even dumber. ESPN clowns at least have an excuse, they've been hyping the media creation of the 'big 4', and it's only gotten worse since the USO travesty. Olympics isn't even masters series level, there is no big 4, and Murray hasn't improved under Lendl
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Here is why the Olympics will never be held in the same esteem as GS because even though most players seem to love it now, it was never the case in 90's... when Agassi won his gold in 96 something like only 3 of the top 20 played and it wasnt much better in Sydney 2000

not to mention the fact they never even had the event till 1988, so all the greats from 50's, 60's, 70's ala Rod Laver, never played so therefore is no chance Olympic achievment can be used in any discussions when comparing tennis greats achievemnts (not something you can say about the WTF championships)

Courier was right about one thing though - Murray was the best player of 2012 as I said in my thread here at the end of last year.
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
country flag SliceAce
Banned!

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Kuerten View Post
Didn't read the replies, but I suppose there are some clowns saying the WTF are more important than the Olympics.
WTF has always been the closest to a 5th slam, sometimes even a 4th slam when the AO was a joke (WCT finals would be the 5th slam). But I don't expect someone who just started watching tennis to know anything about what makes the slams important other than what ESPN tells you...

Olympics is a joke, besides all the many problems there are qualifying it as even a tournament (every 4 years, changing venue and surface and country, no history) the biggest issue is that winning isn't the most important goal, getting a medal is. The real fights were in the SF between Del Po/Federer and Del Po/Djokovic in the Bronze medal match, once you medal it doesn't really matter.

I understand hyping the olympics before the USO win, Murraytards were desperate for years for anything. But now it's just pathetic, the USO was a disgrace but at least it was a slam not a media creation.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

What irony for a guy that works at AO. Most players didn't give a shit about Australian Open until they did this 4 slams innovation and that's the very reason he stands there as a tard doing his interviews. How much did top players care about AO before 1980s? It was a vulture event.

as for Olympic being a slam it's just stupid. It's played every 4 years and it's played for your country. No one gave a shit about Olympics until it got more $$$ and started to become important with sponsors and to market yourself as a player. How was it with Olympics in 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000? Vulture event with many top guys not bothering.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
Here is why the Olympics will never be held in the same esteem as GS because even though most players seem to love it now, it was never the case in 90's... when Agassi won his gold in 96 something like only 3 of the top 20 played and it wasnt much better in Sydney 2000

not to mention the fact they never even had the event till 1988, so all the greats from 50's, 60's, 70's ala Rod Laver, never played so therefore is no chance Olympic achievment can be used in any discussions when comparing tennis greats achievemnts (not something you can say about the WTF championships)

Courier was right about one thing though - Murray was the best player of 2012 as I said in my thread here at the end of last year.
well some people still think God exists and there is the same amount for that as for Murray's 2012 being the best
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

it is funny however that Fed, Nadal, Murray are OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS

.....and Djokovic is not
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #25

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
WTF has always been the closest to a 5th slam, sometimes even a 4th slam when the AO was a joke (WCT finals would be the 5th slam). But I don't expect someone who just started watching tennis to know anything about what makes the slams important other than what ESPN tells you...

Olympics is a joke, besides all the many problems there are qualifying it as even a tournament (every 4 years, changing venue and surface and country, no history) the biggest issue is that winning isn't the most important goal, getting a medal is. The real fights were in the SF between Del Po/Federer and Del Po/Djokovic in the Bronze medal match, once you medal it doesn't really matter.

I understand hyping the olympics before the USO win, Murraytards were desperate for years for anything. But now it's just pathetic, the USO was a disgrace but at least it was a slam not a media creation.
Yet every player would rather win the Olympics than have a WTF title.
Ruben Ramirez was in a hotel in Rio Preto Brasil last year when his doubles partner Ferreiro decided to go see the night in the city. He opened his arms widely and said: que pasa man? we have match tomorrow.

Legend.
Quote:
“Some players say to me, ‘Why are you still playing?’ ” Ramirez Hidalgo said. “I still play because tennis is my life. Tennis gives me everything, more than I dreamed when I was young.”
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
it is funny however that Fed, Nadal, Murray are OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS

.....and Djokovic is not
to be an Olympic champion you have to win it in Singles you know and it's also funny how Fed,Nadal,Nole are Wimbledon champions and Windy Mandy is not
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #27
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Olympics is greater than WTF because of two key reasons:

1. It is held once in four years, making the chances to get the title less in a player's career.
2. Getting an Olympic gold medal is much more popular around the world than getting the WTF title. Non-tennis fans can appreciate the medal more than the WTF title. It's more prestige gained inside the biggest sporting competition on the planet.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
country flag SliceAce
Banned!

Quote:
Yet every player would rather win the Olympics than have a WTF title.
But that's not true? Many players chose to play low level tournaments in the USA instead of the Olympics, Nadal didn't care to play at all, and that's in 2012 when the full force of the British media were trying to pretend it matters. Do you really think Federer put his best effort to win the gold instead of the silver? Especially after we saw what he can do against Murray on the exact same court if he really cares.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Negative.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
But that's not true? Many players chose to play low level tournaments in the USA instead of the Olympics, Nadal didn't care to play at all, and that's in 2012 when the full force of the British media were trying to pretend it matters. Do you really think Federer put his best effort to win the gold instead of the silver? Especially after we saw what he can do against Murray on the exact same court if he really cares.
Nadal was injured and a lot of those players weren't eligible to play in the Olympics.

And please don't try to claim that Federer tanked the Olympic final, because that's one of the most delusional things I have ever heard

Legend.
Quote: