33 combined slams vs 1 - does Murray have the right to be in a "big four"? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Does Murray have the right to be referred to as being part of a "big four"?

Yes 46 51.11%
Nope 30 33.33%
No, he needs X (arbitary) number of slams to be there 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 combined slams vs 1 - does Murray have the right to be in a "big four"?

5 slam finals

Yes
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 combined slams vs 1 - does Murray have the right to be in a "big four"?

yeah, but personally I think delpo is the more legit 4th member of this 'big four' club
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #18
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

No. Big four is media hype. ATP like it because it means Majors are not big two and then the other big one gets a bye. Murray is certainly a fine player don't get me wrong but he does not belong to be in the same group as the big three where the weakest of them has five Majors.
It reminds me of Clisters in the women. She was called one of the big four but she was a good few majors away from Venus or Henin when all that started.

http://www.thetennisreview.com/roger...r-and-against/
Federer, the US Open 2014 and Slam No.18- The Case For and Against
fluffyyelloballz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #19
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about Slam titles, it's about competitiveness.

For a long time those four players have been well above the rest of the pack. I mean, there are pretty much 4 'big' tournament types in tennis that (if fit) all the top players will be there and want to win - Slams, Masters, YECs and Olympics. If you visually represent how many of those each player has won in the last 4 years you get this:

15 - Nadal
14 - Djokovic

8 - Murray

6 - Federer

2 - Davydenko
1 - Soderling, Ferrer, Del Potro, Lubijic

i.e. the big 4 have won 43 of the 49 blue ribbon events in tennis in that period. Murray has won 8 of those. Yeah there is only one Slam in there, but it is still more than double what the rest of the tour has been able to take off the top 3. That means he is the only one consistently able to play with the big boys. He is further above the rest of the tour than the other 3 are above him.

So yeah, although he is the runt of the group, Muzz is definitely part of the big four dominating the tour. Has been for a long time. The rest of the tour are playing for scraps.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #20
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

No he doesn't.

He doesn't have the grand slams, World No. 1 ranking or dominance factor to join that group.

Quite simple.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #21
country flag NJ88

NJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond reputeNJ88 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course he does. He deserves to be in the 'top four' because firstly...he's been in the top three or four for five years or so, second, he's a constant grand slam contender and has now been in five finals, third, he's the only guy (aside from Del Potro) to break the usual three who win the slam and fourth...he's won a grand slam...by beating one of the top three.

If he's consistently talked about as being a contender, of course he's in the top four. Other players talk about him being in 'the top four', he's one of those players that anyone hoping to win a slam NEEDS to beat.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Mugray could fluke/vulture another 10 slams and he still has no right to be mentioned in the same sentence as legends as Federer and Nadal, and to a lesser extent Djokovic.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #23
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Highlander's career just beginning. After winning AO, he'll have 4-6 years where he wins 2-3 slams a year. Which puts him roughly above Noserer. He also has that impeccable playstation record where he has no peer.
minimum: 4 x 2 = 8 + 1 = 9
Maximum: 6 x 3 = 18 + 1 = 19

So you say it'll put murray above Federer meaning you believe murray will win 3 slams in 5 of the next 6 years and 2 in 1 of the next 6 years. With Murray being 25 this means you believe he will have a 3 or 2 slam season while being 30 and 31 years old.

Seems legit.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
Mugray could fluke/vulture another 10 slams and he still has no right to be mentioned in the same sentence as legends as Federer and Nadal, and to a lesser extent Djokovic.
Negative. Murray has been in the top 4 for several years now. If he wins some more slams to put him at 5+ and has some period at #1 then I guess he has the right to belong to the big 4.

As of right now, no.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

29 combined slams vs 5 - does Djokovic have the right to be in the Big 4?
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
29 combined slams vs 5 - does Djokovic have the right to be in the Big 4?
23 combined slams vs 11 - does nadal have the right to be in the Big 4?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

17 combined slams vs 17 - does Roger Federer have the right ti be in the Big 4?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

For me, Murray deserve to be there since Wimbledon 2008.
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #29
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a form thing.
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I'm not sure.. depends how you judge things.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using VerticalSports.Com App
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote