Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar - Page 59 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will he return?

He will recover and win 2 or more slams 142 58.44%
He will recover, and win 1 more slam 44 18.11%
He will recover, but never win another slam 37 15.23%
He will recover, but never get back to top 10 3 1.23%
He will never play another match again 17 7.00%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #871
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal out of Abu Dhabi exho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Agree with your assessment VamosRafaNadal. I think if push came to shove he could have played and maybe won a match or two in Australia -- after all he was practicing with Moya who said that he was playing well; Toni said his level was good etc.; and Nadal said that though his knee was still a bit of a problem, it was a lot better than before. However ultimately as he could not have the "test" he wanted in Abu Dhabi and Doha they decided to be more conservative - why risk 5 set matches on hard court in 30C heat to get to the 4th round or QF? What is that worth to Nadal? Not much. He wants to either be able to fight for the big titles or not be on court at this stage in his career I think.

So I think the plan to return on the South American clay and get enough matches and rhythm in the run up to Monte Carlo makes sense. His PR manager Benito tweeted to a fan that Nadal was practicing on clay; Moya again gave an interview saying he thinks Nadal will be back at his usual/normal level this year; Toni has said the same -- said he doesn't know when he'll get there but that Nadal's time on court has been good. And finally his agent Carlos Costa was reported to be in discussions with Vina del Mar this week. There have been reports from Argentina and Brazil too about him playing. Obviously he won't play all 4 tournaments in the Golden Swing, but think they're sounding out who offers the best package/appearance fees and also keeping doors open in case he crashes out early for example and wants some matches in another tournament unexpectedly.

If we don't see him in February, then there will be deeper questions I think. But for now I think in a month or so we should have some idea of how he is and how he's playing.
Quote:
He was going to fall out of the top 4 regardless really. Ferrer was very close -- getting to the Final again and defending the points in his first tournament back was a long shot really. Whether he lost no.4 at the AO or at IW or Miami etc. the likelihood of him being able to avoid it was low. As for avoiding Djoko in the QFs - he'll play 1 or 2 HC tournaments (IW and/or Miami) and after that it'll all be clay. Think Novak might not be as happy to see him as a QF opponent either. Fact is on clay not being top 4 is the not the biggest thing for him.

Ranking alone is not a good enough reason to risk his body in the heat on those hard courts over 5 sets. He has nothing to defend after RG practically so makes more sense to focus on clay so he can defend a lot of those points (and win more in South America) and then gain points for rest of year after RG.
I totally agree with you. There is no need to come back early. Rafa has to feel that he is really ready to compete and play to win tournaments (otherwise, there is not a strong reason for Rafa to play tennis (apart from having fun) as he has won almost everything).

He said that the ranking for him it is not important. It's important to be the number one of the world, but if you had reached the nº1 and now you're out of this position, there is not a strongly reason to be worried of being nº2 or nº5. Of course draws will be more hard with a lower rank than nº5, but I don't that Rafa's rank will fall out of the first six players of the ATP ranking. And if he feels that he is able to compete, it is a good challenge for him. He plays for winning tournaments, and in a tournament you've to beat the best players. I think that Djokovic will be worried if he meets Nadal on a QF of Roland Garros, for example. Nadal has nothing to proove on clay, but Djokovic wants to complete the Grand Slam in career.

We'll see. There are reasons to think in positive. Barbadillo said that "Rafa is better now he is recovering and expected to return to the South American tour on clay Acapulco probably or possibly earlier. Indeed, he began to feel ill about 20 December. Doctors diagnosed a virus and recommended three weeks of rest. perhaps he was able to play here at the Australian Open, but, frankly, come unprepared, after six months of absence, it would be very unwise. In my opinion, this is the right decision. Anyway, this has nothing to do with the knee. I know that no one believes it, but it's true! He caught a virus that is painful, but it is not very serious.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurajCrane View Post
What a level-headed poster this "VamosRafaNadal" is.
Thanks a lot. I'm a Nadal fan, of course, but I'm not a Nadaltard. My love for tennis is more important than any tennis player that can play this game. I like all these guys on court, with their different game styles (but it is true that I preffer some kind of play among others). I think that tennis is a high-technique sport that allows us to have some great talks and new friendly discussions almost every day (as tennis is played almost every day) that can enrich us a lot. Of course that we can do some friendly trolling sometimes, be serious always is boring, but I think that in tennis there is not place for fanaticism and there is always a lot to learn. One of the synonyms of tennis is respect, and we can see it on the tennis court (where the croud supports more the game than the players). I'm in MTF to learn more about tennis and have a great time (and I think that this forum has some nice users that are interesting to read). Otherwise, I'll dedicate my free time to be a football extremist (something very common here in Spain).
FITD: #12 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #3 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Richard Gasquet: The most beautiful and talented backhand of the tour (after De Schepper).

De Schepper - Thiem - Giraldo - Cilic - Youzhny - Nishikori - Gulbis - Haas - Berlocq - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - McGee
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #872
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal practicing on clay in Barcelona

Irish play James McGee (https://twitter.com/jamesmcgee01) posted on twitter today:

Quote:
Great to get 2 hours of hard practice in today with @RafaelNadal Loved every minute of it. More tomorrow! #Vamos

Flavia Pennetta also posted some photos:

Quote:
Today's workout in the gym has been more fun... I was in good company @RafaelNadal

Ash86 is online now View My Blog!  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #873
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal practicing on clay in Barcelona

Looks like he will be back, finally.

Another FO in the bag? Good luck, Djokovic
bounccer is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #874
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

I like the face fuzz.
niff is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #875
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Irish play James McGee (https://twitter.com/jamesmcgee01) posted on twitter today:

Flavia Pennetta also posted some photos:

Nadal is looking good here.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #876
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Some Nadal fans here posted video/pictures of Nadal in training late November/early December. (Can't remember who exactly.) I remember some posters commenting how sharp he looked in training and how he might well have a good AO tournament.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: don't get too excited until he's actually back playing properly...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #877
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, Nadal is looking really nice with the scruff. I'm impressed. I didn't think he could pull it off.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #878
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post

Some Nadal fans here posted video/pictures of Nadal in training late November/early December. (Can't remember who exactly.) I remember some posters commenting how sharp he looked in training and how he might well have a good AO tournament.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: don't get too excited until he's actually back playing properly...
I agree who knows where is form will be at but seems safe to say he will be back playing on clay in a few weeks in South America. will be exciting to see how good he is, certainly he is putting some effort into getting back into shape

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #879

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

A pic training this morning (from @XaviBonastre). He is in Barcelona for three days (today is his second day) practicing at the Real Club de Tenis de Barcelona (the Tennis Club that he belongs), where the ATP Barcelona 500 is hosted.

This morning, Sao Paolo tournament organization confirmed that Nadal will be in the Brazil Open. The rumours of Nadal being in Viña del Mar are strong. It seems like Nadal will play on Viña del Mar, Sao Paolo, one week of rest, Acapulo, MSG exhibition, Indian Wells and Miami. Very exhausting calendar for him, but nice to have him back on court.
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Richard Gasquet: The most beautiful and talented backhand of the tour (after De Schepper).

De Schepper - Thiem - Giraldo - Cilic - Youzhny - Nishikori - Gulbis - Haas - Berlocq - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - McGee

Last edited by VamosRafaNadal : 01-15-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #880
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't playing Miami, right?
But thanks for the info.
Ad Wim is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Wim View Post
He wasn't playing Miami, right?
But thanks for the info.
Nadal IS playing Miami. For the moment, we will see if he can deal with his exhausting calendar in February-March). There was an error with some declarations involving that Federer won't participate in Miami but Benito Perez Barbadillo (Nadal spokesperson) said yesterday that this information wasn't correct and Nadal is, fortunately, going to Miami

Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #882
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

He looks happy, thats the main thing.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #883
country flag theseth1119

theseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond repute

So far Sao Paulo (confirmed now), Acapulco, MSG exhibition, Indian Wells, and Miami. Definitely not Buenos Aires, but Vina Del Mar is still a possibility.
theseth1119 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #884
country flag swebright

swebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond reputeswebright has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like Juan Monaca would like to join Nadal training camp for clay season than playing at AO.
swebright is offline View My Blog!  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #885
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

rafa is looking so much thinner then b4...

hope he is ok
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread