If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal... - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #286
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Maybe I was not polite, but you have not shown that any of my arguments were wrong.
Quote:
Maybe it's strange, but as I said above, you have not demonstrated that any of my arguments were incorrect.
I wasn't trying to show your 'argument' was incorrect; I was merely commenting on the way in which you have conducted yourself in this thread.

Your 'argument' is that you yourself do not have the knowledge to make a judgement on this issue, so have to rely on experts. And really no one can disagree with that, because no one has any special insight into your knowledge or mental state.

Quote:
I agree.
This was your original argument: "Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. Tennis expert is a person who is very knowledgeable about tennis. Therefore, Sampras is an tennis expert".

Now we have established that being a "tennis expert" does not make you "tennis predictor" and thus does not qualify you to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events". This means that in order to rely on Sampras to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events", proving that he has a high level practical understanding of tennis, is not sufficient.

You must also prove that he has "a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables". You have not done this.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #287
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Your argument is not based on fact but on your opinion that I am "giving impression...". Can you provide fact-based argument?
As you have yet to give us any facts in this discussion, you should not demand of others what you are unable to deliver yourself.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #288
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

I think he will. Roger is not as motivated to get #1 back as he was last year. He'd need to win 2 slams probably to do it, and that's a tough ask. If he doesn't it's dull
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #289
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Given the new development of events and if Nadal keeps avoiding HC tournaments, it doesn't look like Nadal is going back to #1 anytime soon. Also I don't think Fed is going to overplay and chase the points everywhere, so Nole has pretty good chance of staying at #1 either until October or not far from it
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #290
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Given the new development of events and if Nadal keeps avoiding HC tournaments, it doesn't look like Nadal is going back to #1 anytime soon. Also I don't think Fed is going to overplay and chase the points everywhere, so Nole has pretty good chance of staying at #1 either until October or not far from it
I would agree. Nadal will likely never have number one again, Fed doesnt really care at this point now that he's broken the record, as evidenced by his reduced schedule for the year. He got that goal crossed off his list. Fed is all about winning some more slams at this point. He's not really worried about the rest.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #291
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute

until he overtakes him in GS and Masters titles, this stat is not worth much. Weeks on top is a good tie breaker when there is a balance in major titles won.

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #292
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon he will stay at number one til 2014, probably longer
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #293
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I'm not convinced Djoker can stay № 1 till October - he's not that good of a number one.

He's more of a computer number one type: consistent, but not dominant front runner type who amasses far more point relative to the one ranked below him.

However I do believe some time in 2014 (or later) he will catch up with Nadal.
If his ranking doesn't take a hit at AO, he's halfway there. Both Fed and Murray defend a lot during summer, Fed also defends a lot in spring - Dubai, IW and Madrid. If Nole is #1 after Miami, more-less he's good until autumn.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #294
country flag sunsfuns

sunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
If his ranking doesn't take a hit at AO, he's halfway there. Both Fed and Murray defend a lot during summer, Fed also defends a lot in spring - Dubai, IW and Madrid. If Nole is #1 after Miami, more-less he's good until autumn.

Nole's got RG final and Wimbledon SF to defend. On the other hand short of a complete disaster at AO and Roger winning the title, he is safe until after Miami.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #295
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfuns View Post

Nole's got RG final and Wimbledon SF to defend. On the other hand short of a complete disaster at AO and Roger winning the title, he is safe until after Miami.
It's pretty unlikely Nole will take a big hit at RG or Wimbledon. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with identical results actually.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #296
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfuns View Post

It would be a big surprise if he doesn't make it to SF at least at both events, shouldn't lose any points there.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #297
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

He will definitely overtake Nadal and Borg. McEnroe is a different story though.

BRAVO MARINE, SAMO NAPRED MAJSTORE !!

Marin Cilic ~The Greatest Ballstriker of All Time
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #298
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
He will definitely overtake Nadal and Borg. McEnroe is a different story though.
This.

Although Borg should have a lot more weeks at 1 and Connors a lot less. The ranking system was ridiculous back then.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #299
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
This.

Although Borg should have a lot more weeks at 1 and Connors a lot less. The ranking system was ridiculous back then.
Definitely. The ATP knows how bad it was then and are quietly disowning it. Just try to find rankings released in the 70s or very early 80s now. The ATP will not help you. I know, I've been looking for these rankings for years.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #300
country flag 5555

5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
I wasn't trying to show your 'argument' was incorrect; I was merely commenting on the way in which you have conducted yourself in this thread.

Your 'argument' is that you yourself do not have the knowledge to make a judgement on this issue, so have to rely on experts. And really no one can disagree with that, because no one has any special insight into your knowledge or mental state.

This was your original argument: "Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. Tennis expert is a person who is very knowledgeable about tennis. Therefore, Sampras is an tennis expert".

Now we have established that being a "tennis expert" does not make you "tennis predictor" and thus does not qualify you to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events". This means that in order to rely on Sampras to "make accurate predictions about future tennis events", proving that he has a high level practical understanding of tennis, is not sufficient.

You must also prove that he has "a good understanding of past statistical trends, and the ability to take into account unknown variables". You have not done this.
I did not say that Sampras makes accurate predictions about future tennis events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
As you have yet to give us any facts in this discussion, you should not demand of others what you are unable to deliver yourself.
Not true. For example, my argument that Sampras is a tennis expert was based on fact that he was an top professional tennis player. I ask you again:

Can you provide fact-based argument to support your claim that I blindly follow Sampras?

Last edited by 5555 : 01-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote