Roger Federer "South America is still far away of holding a MS but may organize WTF" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roger Federer "South America is still far away of holding a MS but may organize WTF"

Federer, as the President of Player Council, believes that South America is still far away of being able to hold the organization of a Master Series Event. He said that Rio de Janeiro is looking forward to become the city that may organize it but believes in first place that the following years will be a key ones with the organization of the Football World Cup as well as the Olympics. Secondly said that if a Masters Series Event is included in South America then another MS shoud be erased of the Calendar and he doesn´t seem to see that to happen.

Finally he added that Rio de Janeiro is looking forward aswell to organize the World Tour Final which he seems to find that quite more realistic to happen.

Source:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1...n-masters-1000
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer "South America is still far away of holding a MS but may organize W

Rio is getting the WTF?

Will it be on clay?
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
country flag producer88

producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88 producer88
Default Re: Roger Federer "South America is still far away of holding a MS but may organize W

I hope it moves to SA some day. I know a lot of friends and family members who play Tennis and love watching, but always have to come stay over with me to go to the US Open. They want to see the top players play in their countries for once.
producer88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

It was a far more generic answer than this thread makes it seem. Also he didn't mention Rio.

Quote:
Q. Now that you made the experience of playing in South America, can you explain the enthusiasm you felt there? Wouldn't it make sense to have a bigger tournament there that players like you could play every year there?

ROGER FEDERER: Look, this was obviously very unique because there was a big focus and emphasis on me showing up because they've never maybe seen me play live over there. So the excitement level was sky high, you know.

I was deeply impressed by the atmosphere, by the love for the game, for the appreciation they showed for me showing up. They made it one of the most fascinating trips of my life to South America.

So, of course, I'd hope to go there more often in the future. Obviously, this sport has gone extremely global in the last few years, or many years now, the ATP decided way back when. It looks like it's only going to happen more often. The more global it goes, the more grueling it becomes. Asia having the Masters 1000 there, having the Masters Cup back then, it spreads the world of the tour for us.

I think it will be ready. At least I think it's nice to see the top guys and top women going there for exhibition matches. That's also a way to showcase tennis and our talents down there. It seemed they were very happy.

Who knows, maybe exhibition tours like this are going to happen more often in the future if there's not going to be a tournament there.

Who knows, maybe they'll get the World Tour Finals eventually. It's not easy to get a Masters 1000, it's not easy to snatch up those sanctions. Time will tell. The next five years are obviously key for South America with the World Cup, the Olympics, and the good players South America has such as Del Potro and other players. I think it's a good time for South American tennis.

Q. Would you recommend to stage a Masters 1000 in South America?

ROGER FEDERER: It needs to make sense. Don't forget, if you add one, you almost have to take another one away. Who deserves to have one taken away from them?

It needs to be thought through thoroughly or you just add one. Then again, maybe other places also deserve one. I don't think it's right now on the agenda. I think South America are happy the way things are right now, they would like some minor improvements. That's all they care about. They just got Bogota, as well, which I think is a good thing. But we'll discuss more about those kind of things in the future, I'm sure. It's going to be interesting.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
It was a far more generic answer than this thread makes it seem. Also he didn't mention Rio.
Federer cree que Sudamérica puede ser, a medio plazo, sede del Masters de fin de año, un torneo que nunca llegó al subcontinente. Río de Janeiro, que el año próximo será sede de un Masters 500, ya dejó claras sus ambiciones de albergar el Masters, que reúne en el cierre de cada temporada a los ocho mejores del mundo.

"Quizás sean sede del Masters"' dijo el suizo. "Los cinco próximos años van a ser clave para Sudamérica, con el Mundial y los Juegos Olímpicos (ambos en Brasil) y los buenos jugadores que tiene Sudamérica, como (el argentino Juan) Del Potro".
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran70 View Post
Federer cree que Sudamérica puede ser, a medio plazo, sede del Masters de fin de año, un torneo que nunca llegó al subcontinente. Río de Janeiro, que el año próximo será sede de un Masters 500, ya dejó claras sus ambiciones de albergar el Masters, que reúne en el cierre de cada temporada a los ocho mejores del mundo.

"Quizás sean sede del Masters"' dijo el suizo. "Los cinco próximos años van a ser clave para Sudamérica, con el Mundial y los Juegos Olímpicos (ambos en Brasil) y los buenos jugadores que tiene Sudamérica, como (el argentino Juan) Del Potro".
Whoever wrote the article decided to say that but Federer didn't. I've posted the original transcript above.

Federer made no mention of Rio and the only thing he said about the WTF was "who knows, maybe they'll get the World Tour Finals eventually."
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q. Now that you made the experience of playing in South America, can you explain the enthusiasm you felt there? Wouldn't it make sense to have a bigger tournament there that players like you could play every year there?

ROGER FEDERER: Look, this was obviously very unique because there was a big focus and emphasis on me showing up because they've never maybe seen me play live over there. So the excitement level was sky high, you know.

I was deeply impressed by the atmosphere, by the love for the game, for the appreciation they showed for me showing up. They made it one of the most fascinating trips of my life to South America.

So, of course, I'd hope to go there more often in the future. Obviously, this sport has gone extremely global in the last few years, or many years now, the ATP decided way back when. It looks like it's only going to happen more often. The more global it goes, the more grueling it becomes. Asia having the Masters 1000 there, having the Masters Cup back then, it spreads the world of the tour for us.

I think it will be ready. At least I think it's nice to see the top guys and top women going there for exhibition matches. That's also a way to showcase tennis and our talents down there. It seemed they were very happy.

Who knows, maybe exhibition tours like this are going to happen more often in the future if there's not going to be a tournament there.

Who knows, maybe they'll get the World Tour Finals eventually. It's not easy to get a Masters 1000, it's not easy to snatch up those sanctions. Time will tell. The next five years are obviously key for South America with the World Cup, the Olympics, and the good players South America has such as Del Potro and other players. I think it's a good time for South American tennis.

Q. Would you recommend to stage a Masters 1000 in South America?

ROGER FEDERER: It needs to make sense. Don't forget, if you add one, you almost have to take another one away. Who deserves to have one taken away from them?

It needs to be thought through thoroughly or you just add one. Then again, maybe other places also deserve one. I don't think it's right now on the agenda. [B
I think South America are happy the way things are right now[/b], they would like some minor improvements. That's all they care about. They just got Bogota, as well, which I think is a good thing. But we'll discuss more about those kind of things in the future, I'm sure. It's going to be interesting.
No we are not, we want a MS.

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like if there were clay TMSs in Argentina and Brazil instead of two US hardcourt TMSs that don't make any sense at that point of season. And to prevent the number of clay TMSs getting too big, they could downgrade Mickey Carlo and replace it with a grass Masters before Wimby.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

So it's easier to hold WTF than any other MS event?
nole_no1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
Yes, all it needs is an 15,000-seat arena (and lots of money). An MS event needs an 15,000-seat arena plus multiple other courts. And quite often those 15,000-seat arenas are indoor arenas and there usually isn't space for many other indoor courts. I think that's the reason why Shanghai M1000 is played roof open, unlike Shanghai YEC.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
clearly, considering that the venue of the WTF is changing every few years.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
country flag bouncer7

bouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond reputebouncer7 has a reputation beyond repute

They have one, Miami is Latin America. Just check Roddick - Monaco match last year there
bouncer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #13
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we are still far from these achievements.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote