Tim Smyczek Thread - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #106
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tim Smyczek Thread

Williams/Smyczek To Battle Yet again, This Time For A Ticket To Melbourne

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #107
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

10 Things: Tim Smyczek

Tim Smyczek is knocking on the door of the top 100. Learn more about this rising American player.

Quote:
By Erik Gudris

Tim Smyczek (December 20, 2012) -- Tim Smyczek has a unique last name (that's SMEE-check) and is probably familiar to some fans because he's been on the tour for a few years. Smyczek famously took a set off Andy Murray at the Countrywide Classic in 2010. This year, he's won two Challenger-level events: in Tallahassee in the spring and last month in Champaign. Smyczek also participated in last week's USTA Australian Open 2013 playoffs, losing to Rhyne Williams in the final.

Here are ten things you may not know about Smyczek:

1. Milwaukee Man: Smyczek was born on December 30, 1987 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He still resides there.

2. Turning Pro: Smyczek turned pro in 2006.

3. Friend of Fish: Smyczek is good friends with fellow American Mardy Fish. Smyczek even stayed at Fish's house for a year during his early years on tour.

4. 2012 Results: Smyczek qualified for this year's U.S. Open and won his first ever main draw match at a Major when he beat Bobby Reynolds in five sets. He later went on to win the ITF event in Champaign, Illinois.read more

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #108
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/339/qs.pdf

(1) Gilles Muller vs Igor Kunitsyn (RUS)
James Duckworth vs (WC) Nick Kyrgios (AUS)
Denis Kudla vs (WC) John-Patrick Smith (AUS)
Dominik Meffert (GER) vs (5) Ricardas Berankis (LTU)

(2) Ryan Harrison (USA) vs Ivan Sergeyev (UKR)
(WC) Matt Reid (AUS) vs Bastian Knittel (GER)
Ivo Minar (CZE) vs Simon Greul (GER)
Di Wu (CHN) vs (7) Tim Smyczek (USA)

(3) Olivier Rochus (BEL) vs Donald Young (USA)
Ryan Sweeting (USA) vs Mischa Zverev (GER)
John Millman (AUS) vs (WC) Luke Saville (AUS)
Robert Farah (COL) vs (8) Alex Bogomolov Jr. (RUS)

(4) Jesse Levine (CAN) vs Oleksandr Nedovyesov (UKR)
Frank Dancevic (CAN) vs Rhyne Williams (USA)
Jack Sock (USA) vs Hiroki Moriya (JPN)
Steve Johnson (USA) vs (6) Thiemo De Bakker (NED)

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #109
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

I was really disappointed in Tim. I thought he would defeat Wu, but no

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #110
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Tim def. Barton 36 64 61 and will play Stebe for a spot in the AO maindraw.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #111
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Tim got in as a LL, will take on Karlovic, good luck.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #112
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Tim Smyczek jumps on opportunity

http://espn.go.com/tennis/aus13/stor...ps-opportunity

Quote:
MELBOURNE, Australia -- Tim Smyczek owes his good friend John Isner dinner.

The 25-year-old Milwaukee native twice came within a match of earning a slot in the main draw in the season's first Grand Slam event -- first in last month's playoff for the wild card allotted to the Americans and again in the qualifying tournament a few days ago.

But Smyczek did win a mini-game of chance by drawing No. 1 in the "lucky loser" draft and filled the one and only vacancy left by the withdrawal of none other than Isner, sidelined by bone bruising in his right knee.

Elsa/Getty ImagesIf not for John Isner, Tim Smyczek might be on a different continent right now.

That was an interesting enough coincidence, but the wiry 5-foot-9 Smyczek then found himself paired with Croatia's 6-10 Ivo Karlovic in the first round and his hours of practice with the 6-9 Isner suddenly came in very handy. Smyczek didn't lose a single service game, hung in and broke twice against Karlovic's out-of-a-tree delivery and won in straight sets 6-4, 7-6 (5), 7-5. Isner texted his pal shortly afterward and implied there should be a quid pro quo.

"I knew I was going to be watching the ball go by me a lot, so I just prepared myself for that mentally, and really just tried to get myself in a calm place and tell myself if I did get any opportunities, I was just going to have to be ready for them,'' said Smyczek, who trains in Tampa and is part of a close-knit group of pros there, including veteran Mardy Fish.

"With Ivo, it wasn't so much the speed of the serve as really just the angle it was coming from. He can put it real short in the box. A lot of times I covered one serve and it just didn't matter; he hit it too good. Practicing with John a lot did prepare me for that, for sure.''

Smyczek, ranked 125th in the world, will next play Spain's relentless fourth-seeded David Ferrer, who is more his size but obviously many cuts above him in stature. Smyczek said he was looking forward to the "thrill" of facing Ferrer on a show court.

"I've watched a lot of video of Ferrer over the last couple of months,'' the American said. "He's a guy I look up to a lot; he's more my body type. He's got a game I'm working toward.''

Smyczek's upset was part of a generally strong day for the six U.S. men in action -- although the draw now pits two of them against each other.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #113
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Smyczek, a ‘Lucky Loser,’ Records a Big Victory

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.co...Sets&seid=auto

Quote:
MELBOURNE, Australia — Roommates often share all sorts of things with one another, from bathrooms to cable bills to peanut butter.

On less frequent occasions, they can even share berths in major tennis tournaments.

Tim Smyczek, ranked 125th, appeared on his way out of the Australian Open in Melbourne after a 6-4, 6-2 loss to Cedrik-Marcel Stebe in his final qualifying round match. Smyczek had also lost in the final round of the wild card playoff held by the U.S.T.A. in December, which would have also given him a spot in the main draw.

But the 125th-ranked Milwaukee native’s name was pulled first out of a drawing of those who had fallen at the final qualifying hurdle, and he was entered into the main draw as a so-called “lucky loser.”

The spot Smyczek entered had been vacated by his Florida housemate John Isner, the top-ranked American who pulled out of the tournament with an injury shortly after qualifying had begun.

“He sent me a text that said I owe him a dinner,” Smyczek said after his first-round match, which he won in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6(5), 7-5 over big-serving Croatian Ivo Karlovic.

Smyczek, 25, who at a listed height of 5 foot 9 is over a full foot shorter than the 6 foot 10 Karlovic, said he benefited from having practiced often with Isner, who is 6 foot 9.

“I think that does help,” Smyczek said of having a similarly tall practice partner. “Because with Ivo it wasn’t so much the speed of the serves, really, just the angle it was coming from. He can put it real short in the box, and a lot of times I covered one serve and it didn’t matter, he just hit to good. And yeah, practicing with John a lot did prepare me for that, for sure.”

Smyczek next gets to try to pick on someone his own size, when he faces fellow David Ferrer, the fourth-seeded Spanish veteran, in the second round. Ferrer is also listed at 5 foot 9.

“I’ve watched a lot of video of Ferrer in the last couple of months,” Smyczek said. “He’s a guy I look up to a lot, because he’s more my body type, and he’s got a game that I am working towards.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15smyczek-blog480.jpg (43.4 KB, 2 views)

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #114
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

He is now in the Maui Challenger and winning there so far!

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #115
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Def. Williams in 3, up next is Johnson or Alves in the 1/4

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #116
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Dallas Challenger

(1) Jesse Levine (CAN) vs Bradley Klahn (USA)
Marcelo Demoliner (BRA) vs Izak Van Der Merwe (RSA)
Michael Yani (USA) vs Qualifier
Frank Dancevic (CAN) vs (7) Vasek Pospisil (CAN)

(4/WC) Rajeev Ram (USA) vs Daniel Kosakowski (USA)
(WC) Austin Krajicek (USA) vs Rhyne Williams (USA)
Tennys Sandgren (USA) vs Mischa Zverev (GER)
Alex Kuznetsov (USA) vs (5) Matthew Ebden (AUS)

(8) Alex Bogomolov Jr. (RUS) vs Denys Molchanov (UKR)
Steve Johnson (USA) vs Bobby Reynolds (USA)
(WC) Robby Ginepri (USA) vs Rik De Voest (RSA)
Ryan Sweeting (USA) vs (3) Tim Smyczek (USA)

(6/WC) James Blake (USA) vs Qualifier
Denis Kudla (USA) vs Qualifier
Pierre-Hugues Herbert (FRA) vs Qualifier
Jimmy Wang (TPE) vs (2) Michael Russell (USA)

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #117
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Will play Chvojka for a spot in the main draw of San Jose, good luck.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #118
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Into the maindraw with a 3-set win

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #119
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

63 63 over Verdasco totally unexpected, congrats

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #120
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

http://www.sapopentennis.com/gallery.asp?section_id=76#

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 02-15-2013 at 03:13 AM.