The Wire is the best TV-series ever - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #46
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wire is the best TV-series ever

I had been sitting on this one for months, but I decided to give it a go just before this Christmas. Long story short, I'm almost halfway into season 4. It's very good.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #47
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic show. TOP 3 or 4 for me, but not the best one.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #48
country flag Ajk822

Ajk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond reputeAjk822 has a reputation beyond repute

The best show ever. Followed closely in my book by Breaking Bad. Love that show too, but I've never cried over a character dying the way I did with the Wire. Bodie...poor Bodie. Loved that guy.

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm also a huge Omar fan. The courtroom scene from season one? Some of the best 7 minutes of television ever made. As was his famous scene with Brother Mouzone.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #49
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post
The best show ever. Followed closely in my book by Breaking Bad. Love that show too, but I've never cried over a character dying the way I did with the Wire. Bodie...poor Bodie. Loved that guy.

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm also a huge Omar fan. The courtroom scene from season one? Some of the best 7 minutes of television ever made. As was his famous scene with Brother Mouzone.
thanks for the spoiler about bodie.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #50
country flag rutinos harcos

rutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond reputerutinos harcos has a reputation beyond repute

What?Not even close.

ANTI DISGUSTING CHEATDULL
Balding,butt picking moonballer,the biggest cheater in the history of the sport.
THE MOST DISGUSTING WORD IN THE UNIVERSE:vamos, closely followed by chum jetzt
Endless DISGUSTING luck:rain, net, sick opponent.
Denying vulturer from no18 & Year's End No1 in the same year, the legend, the warrior, the one & only DJOKO KING.
Proud hater of disgusting BORING defensive moonballer from some island.
BEST SHOT EVER:USO SF 2011 Djoko King's CC FH on Fed's match point.
rutinos harcos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #51
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

The first 4 seasons are top notch police/gang/political/school( 4th season) TV. The fifth season is great for all parts but the police one. And this at the core a police show. What a let down. You almost wish they salvaged that part à la Roseanne or Dallas and it was all just a dream.

Nevertheless, brilliant cast. Glad I watched it.

Snoop was the best character, until you realize it was not an act at all. That girl is an actual murderer and was still involved in gangs in 2011.

Bubbles is the heart of the show, especially true after watching the 5th season debacle of the McNulty character.

I really enjoyed the Michael/Duquan story arc. Too bad Tristan Wilds followed it up with the reboot of 90210. WTF? Wasted talent. I'm sure he's filthy rich, but man, that kid should be doing better work than that.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #52

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

5th season is not that great compared to the first four (specially 1 and 3) but it's not bad. I didn't think the police part wasn't enjoyable or McNulty's character declined. I agree with what he did, Gregs did let me down though.

The actress playing Snoop wasn't the only one playing a character she pretty much is in real life. Most of the gang members and street people were. And all the politicians were insipired in real life people (most of the plots too).

The best character and the heart of the show is Omar definitely.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #53
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

Don't get me wrong, I liked Omar a lot.

You don't think McNulty evolved from a loveable smartass top notch cop to a happy familly man only to turn into an idiotic ass during the 5th season?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Don't get me wrong, I liked Omar a lot.

You don't think McNulty evolved from a loveable smartass top notch cop to a happy familly man only to turn into an idiotic ass during the 5th season?
He was kinda an ass the whole show(but likable anyway). Maybe in the 5h season more than before, but he did risk his career/freedom just to put Marlo and his crew behind bars.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #55
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

The fuck did McNulty do?
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #56
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

SPOILERS

The whole fabricating evidence, strangling corpses, creating a false serial killer... You know, stuff you don't expect from a top detective. That is professionally. In his personal life, throwing away his new found happiness, with his new family, almost making a conscious decision to embrace alcoholism... Basically, that character became a full blown loser in season 5. But that is me.

That is why I think the cop part of the show was disappointing. The rest was great.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #57
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond reputeBen. has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I don't know how I feel about the serial killer storyline. I've never been completely sold on it. If nothing else it is too sensational when compared to the rest of the show. There is that great scene with the FBI profilers though

Plus the newspaper doesn't get as fully developed as the institutions in the other seasons. Damn HBO only giving them 10 episodes

What series have you got lined up next?
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #58
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

Actually, watching The Wire gave me the urge to look if the first season of Murder One was available on DVD and it was! And one seller on Amazon had it new for 20$. So Murder One.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #59
country flag Droog

Droog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond reputeDroog has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to watch it but if it tops Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad I'll be very impressed. Sopranos, Deadwood and Carnivale were also very good.
to perform well beyond usual levels and achieve legendary status in the process

Federer, Murray, Dimitrov, Tsonga
Monfils, Goffin
Djokovic, Gasquet, Dolgopolov, Tomic, Haas
Droog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #60
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Nr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajk822 View Post

I have always found Brother Mouzone to be a character that didn't really contribute much to the series. My favorite was by far Stringer Bell (as you can tell by my avatar ), especially in season 3 were he and Avon get more and more opposed and eventually betray each other. Season 3 was maybe the best in my opinion (although it is very hard to pick one out) also with Colvins 'Hamsterdam' experiment. Bunny Colvin and Stringer Bell were two revolutionary (potential) game changers, and it was sad to see how office politics make any plan for changes impossible. "The game stays the game".
Nr 1 Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote