Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 25 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #361
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Kuerten won Roland Garros at 20, so no.

And about the 24 year old vs. "youngster", carrying the potential to be more physically superior is also completely irrelevant. I'm not going to repeat myself, so I shall leave it at that.
he was 20, nearly 21, not a teen, I should not have used the word "more" (which in my mind means "after the 20th birthday).

But I see that you've decided to refuse any reading/listening to me and arguing anyway, which is a popular method at the moment, OK let it be.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #362
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
they are marginal cases, and there have always been marginal cases like that, but I see that you associate stamina and endurance with oldies, which was precisely my concern in this debate which I mentioned in previous post.
Not really, I'm merely using them because if someone at 35 can keep up, surely someone at 19 or 20 shouldn't have that much problem to do the same. I mean, it's just best of 2 most of the times, and often they don't even go further then R2, they can't be that tired unless they don't really train too hard.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #363
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
he was 20, nearly 21, not a teen, I should not have used the word "more" (which in my mind means "after the 20th birthday).

But I see that you've decided to refuse any reading/listening to me and arguing anyway, which is a popular method at the moment, OK let it be.
Well if you had read my posts, you'd have seen that I was referring to anyone under the age of 21, as I had clearly stated.

I have covered every detail of your post in my initial posts, which are based on scientific evidence and educated analysis, unlike yours, so if you'd like to have a sensible discussion, I'd suggest you address my points instead of ignoring them and stating what really is guesswork and in regards to the doping comment, juvenile and ignorant nonsense.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #364
country flag Game.Petzschner

Game.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond reputeGame.Petzschner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
Isnt it obvious? Tennis has become extremely physical. Only athletes with peak endurance and strength can compete. And it takes time to reach that level. No 19 year old is winning the tour de france any time soon either.
this
Game.Petzschner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #365
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Well if you had read my posts, you'd have seen that I was referring to anyone under the age of 21, as I had clearly stated.

I have covered every detail of your post in my initial posts, which are based on scientific evidence and educated analysis, unlike yours, so if you'd like to have a sensible discussion, I'd suggest you address my points instead of ignoring them and stating what really is guesswork and in regards to the doping comment, juvenile and ignorant nonsense.
no I had read your posts back and hadn't seen in your posts anything related to what I mentioned in my post about youngsters vs 24-28 year old guys.

You're contemptuous, which is a popular attitude in this forum at the moment (Lenders, Latso, now you), but which is a negation of the interest of a forum imo.

Anyway I give up, despise whoever you want if you like it.

Last edited by duong : 01-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #366
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no I had read your posts back and hadn't seen in your posts anything related to what I mentioned in my post about youngsters vs 24-28 year old guys.

You're contemptuous, which is a popular attitude in this forum at the moment (Lenders, Latso, now you), but which is a negation of the interest of a forum imo.

Anyway I give up, despise whoever you want if you like it.
I had already explained why those 30 years old, or older have in an advantage of attaining high VO2 max and Lactate threshold scores is irrelevant, so why would it be any different in regards to 24 year olds? Sometimes you are required to use your brain, instead of having information spoon fed.

And thank you, I'll keep what I think (and have thought for some time, reading your posts) of you to myself.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #367
country flag AndyNonomous

AndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond reputeAndyNonomous has a reputation beyond repute

I see the Omerta is in full form at MTF.

The posts that expose the obvious reason for this phenomena are deleted, and all we are left with are fools with their denial trying to explain away the obvious.
AndyNonomous is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #368
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the Top 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
Not sure what Thomas Muster's comeback will be like and I don't know if he will break into the Top 50 next year like 40-year-old Kimiko Date Krumm did this year on the WTA-tour but it's obvious that players are getting older and older.

There are no teen-sensations at all. Yes, Filip Krajcinovic reached a semifinal at an ATP-event this year and looks like the next big thing from Serbia but it was not that sensationell that an 18-year-old reaches a semi at a small event. Grigor Dimitrov and Bernard Tomic struggle. Ryan Harris is not there yet.

Fact is, that there is no teen in the Top 100 right now!
The best teen is Federico del Bonis from Argentina - # 148.

Back in the 80ties Chang won his first Slam when he was 17, Becker did too, so Mats Wilander. Sampras at Edberg won their first Slams when they were teens. Then Hewitt was the youngest # 1 ever in the 90ties...

More and more players (like Melzer this year) have their breakthrough when they are almost 30. Most of the successful doubles players are way over 30 (although they still look like college-teens - e.g. the Bryan-brothers).*

This is definitly part of the demographic change.

But also I think that the very young players can't compete with the twens because the game got more and more physical. And the body needs time to develop.

The same on the women's side where players at 14 or 15 used to have their breakthrough in the 80ties and 90ties: Austin, Capriati, Hingis, ...

*By the way: I made a similar thread here a year ago:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=147308
... that was 2009 and 2010.

Now it's 2013 and the best teenager in the rankings is Jiri Vesely (# 251) followed by Dominic Thiem (# 304).

On the other side Roger Federer became the oldest # 1 in the ATP rankings last year and Serena Williams the oldest # 1 in the WTA rankings yesterday.

Kimiko Date will turn 43 this year but had her best Grand Slam run since 1995 last month and it looks like there will be more 40-year-olds than teenager within the next years.

Even on the ATP tour, 40-year-old Daniel Nestor (will turn 41 this September) is still # 4 in the doubles ranking and the best doubles team - the Bryan brothers - will turn 35 next month!

So - I guess you can't deny the demographic change anymore
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #369
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

well, that's life, avg life span for people gets longer too, we look younger for longer, we get married late and have first children in mid 30s

dunno why ppl have such a teen obsession in tennis

if they are boned by children winning medals, i suggest to watch china team in sports gymnastics or smth

tennis is the same cool sport whether slam winners are 18 or 28

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #370
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
well, that's life, avg life span for people gets longer too, we look younger for longer, we get married late and have first children in mid 30s

if they are boned by children winning medals, i suggest to watch china team in sports gymnastics or smth

Well said
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #371
country flag Serverer
Banned!

Serverer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
... that was 2009 and 2010.

Now it's 2013 and the best teenager in the rankings is Jiri Vesely (# 251) followed by Dominic Thiem (# 304).

On the other side Roger Federer became the oldest # 1 in the ATP rankings last year and Serena Williams the oldest # 1 in the WTA rankings yesterday.

Kimiko Date will turn 43 this year but had her best Grand Slam run since 1995 last month and it looks like there will be more 40-year-olds than teenager within the next years.

Even on the ATP tour, 40-year-old Daniel Nestor (will turn 41 this September) is still # 4 in the doubles ranking and the best doubles team - the Bryan brothers - will turn 35 next month!

So - I guess you can't deny the demographic change anymore
This just proves further that tennis has become way too physical now. You need to be a marathon runner more than a tennis player.
Serverer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #372
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Its not that cool when you in 2013 have 4 players born after 1988 with ATP titles, forget about teenagers
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #373
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisOnWood View Post
Its not that cool when you in 2013 have 4 players born after 1988 with ATP titles, forget about teenagers
and what exactly would make it so cool?
young boys are yummy and old meats like benneteau are unwatchable because they're over 30?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #374
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and what exactly would make it so cool?
young boys are yummy and old meats like benneteau are unwatchable because they're over 30?
To see some different faces and something new for a change.. we watched Benneteau and other oldtimers more then enough
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #375
country flag Nathaliia

if you want seeing new faces, switch to cycling, you get new heroes every season after previous ones get banned (maybe weightlifting and sprints are also the options)

chang won RG at 17, by the age of 30 he was done
borg won RG at 18, retired aged 26
wilander won RG at 18, was practically done at the age of 26

i don't really see the point

the players who really went well from a teenager to 30-something can be counted on one hand

i, personally, couldnt care less if someone peaks 17-26 or 26-34

the only problem for most of these guys is to get to the main stage they have to play a few years on the ITF horrible circuit