Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 22 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #316
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No teens in the top 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
maybe there are more players in their 30s still playing than there used to be. They simply take up spaces. The ones taking up the ranking spots 75-250 -- probably about 40-50 spots. If they retired, spots would open up and younger players would trickle down.
They need to work for it and pretty hard, no one will let then if they won't step up

I really don't mind the fact there's no teen in sight, I don't care about the age I just wanna see 2 things
Fed
Good tennis
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #317
country flag Serverer

Serverer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it obvious? Tennis has become extremely physical. Only athletes with peak endurance and strength can compete. And it takes time to reach that level. No 19 year old is winning the tour de france any time soon either.
Serverer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #318
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
Isnt it obvious? Tennis has become extremely physical. Only athletes with peak endurance and strength can compete. And it takes time to reach that level. No 19 year old is winning the tour de france any time soon either.
the didn't believe me the 5 times I've said it, don't expect them to believe you either

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #319
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rodger the Dodger but this thread was just done. It was merged with a 2009 thread which was a shame, because 2009 is 4 years ago and the new thread maker did a lot of work on his thread. But then again I never got why the mods keep merging threads. They do it to me all the time.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #320
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
the didn't believe me the 5 times I've said it, don't expect them to believe you either
That's an overused excuse. You had Baker coming after 7 year retirement and major surgeries, and still almost broke in the top 50, Pashanski is 30 and almost in the top 150, surely a fit 18 or 19 year old should be able to compete in best of 2 with some washed up and injured 30 yr old.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #321
country flag peRfect-Tennis

peRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRfect-Tennis has a reputation beyond repute

I posted about this last week:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...9&postcount=73

Next.

Follow me on Twitter: @peRFectTennisUK
peRfect-Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #322
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peRfect-Tennis View Post
I posted about this last week:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...9&postcount=73

Next.
Affirmative. Dunno why they cut you off man.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #323
country flag Serverer

Serverer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
That's an overused excuse. You had Baker coming after 7 year retirement and major surgeries, and still almost broke in the top 50, Pashanski is 30 and almost in the top 150, surely a fit 18 or 19 year old should be able to compete in best of 2 with some washed up and injured 30 yr old.
Then why isnt it happening? surely 18-19 year olds are no less talented now than in years past.
Serverer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #324
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
surely 18-19 year olds are no less talented now than in years past.
And why not? You think in USA tennis is going to get top talents before NBA, NFL, MLB, Track and Fields etc, in Europe football, basketball and so on? All those sports got giant boosts in cash and popularity compared to the past, tennis probably not nearly so.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #325
country flag Felixavier10

Felixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond reputeFelixavier10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quinzi ITA 19y ATP-25
Coric CRO 19y ATP-45
Kokkinakis AUS 19y ATP-75
Halys FRA 19y ATP-95
Zverev GER 18y ATP-122
Garin CHI 19y ATP-135
Chung KOR 19y ATP-155
Ymer SWE 19y ATP-177
Mmoh USA 17y ATP-180
Kozlov USA 17y ATP-195
Luz BRA 17y ATP-220
Lee KOR 17y ATP-240
Felixavier10 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #326
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then why isnt it happening? surely 18-19 year olds are no less talented now than in years past.
Why would things have changed so much since when Nadal, Gasquet, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Cilic, Gulbis were teens ? it was only 5 years ago

and it's still possible : see Tomic and Harrison, they did it quite quickly, Krajinovic before his injuries as well.

no there are clearly generation gaps ... plus structural problems which have been described for long.

Both phenomenons happen.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #327
country flag GasquetGulbis

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has something to do with the evolution of the Junior tour. The juniors who get into the senior tour at a younger age are the one's who become top players nowadays. Someone who sticks to juniors until they're 18, with no futures experience, won't be able to develop into a top 250 player in 1 year. Kokkinakis, Quinzi, Zverev, Garin, and probably a few others who I haven't mentioned, will be in the top 250 as teenagers.

That being said, someone like Yuki Bhambri, who was top 500 as a 16 year old, never made the transition
GasquetGulbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #328

GasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

Someone like Nikola Milojevic who is now "the number one junior" but hasn't touched the senior tour is going to spend his career as a 19 year old getting wildcards into futures, and scrapping up points. It's hard to get the ball rolling, because of the draws in futures, most top juniors can beat most future players, but there are some good ones in there.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #329
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis View Post
Someone like Nikola Milojevic who is now "the number one junior" but hasn't touched the senior tour is going to spend his career as a 19 year old getting wildcards into futures, and scrapping up points. It's hard to get the ball rolling, because of the draws in futures, most top juniors can beat most future players, but there are some good ones in there.
Yup, Nikola said in his last interview he doesn't want to join senior tour before he's sure he can make some waves, i.e. not join just for joining sake. Not sure whether that approach is the right one though
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Yup, Nikola said in his last interview he doesn't want to join senior tour before he's sure he can make some waves, i.e. not join just for joining sake. Not sure whether that approach is the right one though
Nikola confuses me a lot. He plays all of these small tournaments with low ranked players in them and wins them all, but then he skipped Orange Bowl and Eddie Herr. His number 1 isn't real in my opinion, as I don't think he's beaten a top 20 player in the last 6 monthes.

Surely if he wants to make the jump he should be playing the best competition he can.