The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #61
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc.

Good read, Clydey.

Don't really like Jones but he's an amazing athlete. Naturally talented and built for the sport.

Haven't watched that many events recently since I haven't been drunk on Saturday nights that often, usually then I tend to stay up for the UFC (which starts at 5 am here usually). Maybe next time I'll try to get up earlier
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #62
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Good read, Clydey.

Don't really like Jones but he's an amazing athlete. Naturally talented and built for the sport.

Haven't watched that many events recently since I haven't been drunk on Saturday nights that often, usually then I tend to stay up for the UFC (which starts at 5 am here usually). Maybe next time I'll try to get up earlier
Jones is indeed an amazing athlete but i'm still not entirely sold on his hype and how some people consider him to be in 'GOAT' contention. Excluding Evans and Machida, his remaining wins are against fighters way past their prime unfortunately and it's tough not to notice and point out his huge physical advantage (longest reach in MMA and as tall as most HWs). If he goes up to HW like he plans to, i definitely think he'll have a very hard time but, actually, he's got no obligation to do it so one would think he'll continue with the domination.

I actually never watch the events live for the same reason, there's a great free web page that uploads pretty much all MMA, kickboxing and boxing events though (right after they finish) so I watch them on sundays. Maybe you know which one i'm referring to, initials are 'F4A'. I don't know if it's within the rules of the forum to post the actual link so if you want I can tell you the name via rep or PM.
Vinceremo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #63
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Jones is really good yes. A prime physical specimen. Many of the contenders have been too old/short/slow to really compete with him.

Belfort had a shot with that armbar in the 1st round but when the fighters get sweaty it's gonna be very hard to submit a fast tall fighter with good wrestling skills.

Think the best shot at beating Jones is to clock him with a quick 1-2. Never gonna get chance to throw long combos.

I think one of the best contenders left is Alexander Gustafsson. He goes up against Shogun next and if he wins that it makes a lot of sense to put him up against Jones. He got knockout power and is tall so unlike guys like Belfort he won't get his legs kicked apart. He's also same age and very fast too. I think he could give Jones a real test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
My article on the role of religion in MMA.

http://www.h4-entertainment.com/2012...-place-in-mma/
good article. Many brazilian fighters are even worse. I always facepalm when after a brutal knockout they get the mic and first thing they say is "I WANT TO THANK JESUS!" Really? Really???
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #64
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Belfort's gameplan against Jones was plain terrible, it's like he sort of gave up after the failed armbar attempt and then killed himself by pulling guard constantly. I agree with the strategy you mention and i actually thought Vitor was going to be able to get inside, close the reach gap and tag him but he never really pulled the trigger.

Fully agree with what you said about Gustafsson too, can't root against Shogun but at this stage Alex is really the only threat left for Jones. Maybe Glover Tex too if he can string a few solid wins now in UFC, can't count him out.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #65
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

yeah :/ that "almost" submission made him think that he could do it again. Pulling guard is a terrible strategy always unless you are A) much better than opponent in the groundgame or B) got wobbly legs after a huge hit and quickly need to get it to the ground to recover or risk getting knocked out

Belfort was too passive in the stand up as well. Should have done more rushes and tried getting Jones against the fence so he could unleash at least a 3-4 punch combo. Now Jones just took one step backwards and the attack was over.

Also must say that Jon Jones stomping and kicking the knees is not OK. It's allowed in the rules yes but I think it's a question of sportsmanship.

Only reason to ever kick the knees would be to injure. Those kicks wont fatigue or otherwise give any advantage unless you injure the guy so he can't continue fighting. In my book knee stomps shouldn't be allowed because if you wreck something important in the knee it's often surgery + 6+ months of recovery or worst case = career over.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #66
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my lighthearted examination of beards and their role in MMA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...d-martial-arts
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #67
country flag Vinceremo

So just finished watching UFC 153 main card fights and there's just a couple things that I have to say:

- Anderson is the P4P MMA GOAT, just no doubt in my mind after his performance yesterday. He absolutely destroyed Bonnar mentally more than physically and stoled his SOUL. Just one of the craziest fights I've ever seen.

- Glover Teixeira is a beast and Fabio Maldonado has got to have one of the best chins and heart in combat sports period, one of the most brutal beatdowns that I can remember yet he wanted to continue when the fight should've been over way before.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #68
country flag Vinceremo

Wonder why martial arts gets so few/no love in the board considering there've been legends from basically ALL continents through history! I know it's very popular in North America with the biggets organizations being there currently but I believe in South America it's pretty big too and growing in Europe! There are many small events in Italy but the culture of the sport is not big enough, even if growing.

UFC 154 will be held today and Sakara, the only italian in the roster, is most likely being cut if he doesn't pull the win. Tough one since it's a fight were one's got an iron chin and Legio, well, a glass one Still WAR LEGIONARIVS!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #69
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's not that popular here, as the activity in the thread shows.

For me, I haven't watched it live in a while since they almost always start at really uncomfortable times.

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #70
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

forget about the silva-gsp fight....it ain't happening. le québécois would get slaughtered in under 3 minutes.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #71
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

memo to white and the fertitta bros.: silva vs. jones....MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #72
country flag Lopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
memo to white and the fertitta bros.: silva vs. jones....MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Would be awesome

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #73
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Bring back Clydey.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #74
country flag allpro

cain velasquez is a warrior. he dominated every aspect of the fight (standup included) and his constant pressure and takedowns left jds completely gassed after 1 rd. props to the brazilian for surviving the 25 min. beatdown.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #75
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

mma just doesnt have the drama and exitement of boxing

i know there is an art in the take down and ground and pound... but its boring as heck to watch on tv

thats why anderson silva is such a great mma fighter. his striking and his ability to maintain distance and in ring general ship- is second to none

but no mma fight is ever as exiting as watching a great boxing match

haggler hearns
haggler leonard
eubank benn
roy jones vs anyone in the 90s
pacquiao vs any mexican fighter
or just watching mayweather being a boxing genius (with mayweather its not boxing, its art)