Does Barack Obama lack leadership? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #46
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Barack Obama lack leadership?

Hey "Buddy," you seem to be argumentative and a bit disingenuous in the way you debate (troll?). Google some academic papers written by professors of English for many examples of the phrase "affect change." Good luck!
is there nothing?  Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal
certainly win Roger? Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)
Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Click for Jacko & Bubble-Rod => http://postimg.org/image/tvdauba7z/
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Hey "Buddy," you seem to be argumentative and a bit disingenuous in the way you debate (troll?). Google some academic papers written by professors of English for many examples of the phrase "affect change." Good luck!
It's a discussion forum. But why call me disingenuous? Everything I posted was an honest opinion. As in, I honestly believe that ""effect change" is the proper grammatical term.

Well, I tried, but with no luck. Maye you can give me a link. All my googles suggest that if you say "affect change" what you are saying is that change itself was changed. But if you effect change you bring about change. Not the same thing.

And remember, Har-tru got this going, not me.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #48
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry I don't understand. There are multiple meanings of the word. Here's from the correct dictionary:

Verb

Have an effect on; make a difference to: "the dampness began to affect my health".
Pretend to have or feel (something): "as usual I affected a supreme unconcern".

from another:

1.to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops.
2. to impress the mind or move the feelings of: The music affected him deeply.
3. (of pain, disease, etc.) to attack or lay hold of.

English is a f$*#&D up language, I cannot dispute that. Consider the word "order."

1) I will order in the restaurant
2) I'm giving an order to my wife
3) Line up in order

Feel bad for ESL learners.
I was under the impression that what you meant to say was "effect change", which is the collocation I'm familiar with.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #49
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Har-tru,

It seems you were right. You could say "affected change"" if you want to say he "pretended to change."

The difference is subtle. Congratulations.. As the dictionary example above shows, using "affect" is appropriate when someone is pretending.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #50
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I look at Scandinavian countries as firmly entrenched in the western capitalist democratic system. That explains their success.
capitalist rooted economy but with restrictions on the market and an important participation of the state in social affairs and a helping hand to the ones in need. that's the society i am for, yes.

may that serve as a message to tons of idiots here who think of me as a communist/anarchist or whatnot (not to say that i don't respect anarchists and communists of course).

Last edited by abraxas21 : 01-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #51
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

buddyholly and abraxas21, it will be great to have a coffee and listen to both of u Debating on this and that, i love reading both of u

i dont share some of ur thought/Opinions/ideas but still like reading other ppl...
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post

may that serve as a message to tons of idiots here who think of me as a communist/anarchist or whatnot (not to say that i don't respect anarchists and communists of course).
And yet you feel free to throw out terms like ''racist'', ''neocon'', ''yank'', ''nazi'' etc to refer to anyone who disagrees with you, while complaining about your own thin skin.

Anyway, glad to find you are firmly in the camp of western ideals, even if tolerance of other opinions is not yet incorporated.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #53
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And yet you feel free to throw out terms like ''racist'', ''neocon'', ''yank'', ''nazi'' etc to refer to anyone who disagrees with you, while complaining about your own thin skin.

Anyway, glad to find you are firmly in the camp of western ideals, even if tolerance of other opinions is not yet incorporated.
i don't think i've ever called anyone here a "nazi" so i guess you just made that up. i fail to see what's so inherently offensive about terms like "neocon" or "yank". and then you say i have thin skin?

as for the term "racist", again, i fail to see what's so wrong with it. if people are racist they can expect i'll call them on it. i guess that in your world if you let bad things pass than we can pretend they don't exist. hence racists and idiots (usually both) are able to talk unpunished by the verbal condemnation of an active society.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #54
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
i don't think i've ever called anyone here a "nazi" so i guess you just made that up. i fail to see what's so inherently offensive about terms like "neocon" or "yank". and then you say i have thin skin?

as for the term "racist", again, i fail to see what's so wrong with it. if people are racist they can expect i'll call them on it. i guess that in your world if you let bad things pass than we can pretend they don't exist. hence racists and idiots (usually both) are able to talk unpunished by the verbal condemnation of an active society.
I'm not offended. You can say what you want. Racist is a perfectly good word when used correctly. But you use the term ''racist'' for people who don't agree with you, when they are not being racist at all. As in your many inferences that abhorrence of Islamofascism is in fact a hatred of ''brown people'' (your words). Thus, in your innoncence, you probably actually believe that by branding something as racist you have made a valid point.

When you use neocon you usually mean it sneeringly, as in, ''someone with a different opinion than myself.'' As for yank, are you also OK with, say, wetback?

Frankly, I don't think you are in any position to judge who is or is not an idiot. Unless, of course, you claim that experience gives you an advantage over the rest of us.

Last edited by buddyholly : 01-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #55
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Since this thread deals with political issues, I guess it's ok to talk about, well, political issues. Although it's a no brainer that american imperialism and islamofascism are equal threats to world peace, at least obama has toned down the idiotic cowboy style rhetoric of his predecessor. Too bad most of his compatriots are ill-equipped to understand his ideas. "W" was no political fool and knew that he had to be a demagogue to get votes. Sadly, a progressive country make this does not. It will be a long while before another leader like Obama comes along. Expect more Ah-nolds and Jesse Venturas though.

argument.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #56
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
I'm not offended. You can say what you want. Racist is a perfectly good word when used correctly. But you use the term ''racist'' for people who don't agree with you, when they are not being racist at all. As in your many inferences that abhorrence of Islamofascism is in fact a hatred of ''brown people'' (your words). Thus, in your innoncence, you probably actually believe that by branding something as racist you have made a valid point.
like i said, i call someone a racist when i see he/she is a racist.

Quote:
When you use neocon you usually mean it sneeringly, as in, ''someone with a different opinion than myself.'' As for yank, are you also OK with, say, wetback?
i use neocon when i talk about neocons... to compare wetback with neocon is disingenuous.

Quote:
Frankly, I don't think you are in any position to judge who is or is not an idiot. Unless, of course, you claim that experience gives you an advantage over the rest of us.
typical of you. You talk dismissevely about me using what you think are offensive words and then you go an call me an idiot in a much veiled way, as if that were to make you appear somewhat intelligent even when you fail to realize the ironic contradiction behind your words.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #57
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

typical of you. You talk dismissevely about me using what you think are offensive words and then you go an call me an idiot in a much veiled way, as if that were to make you appear somewhat intelligent even when you fail to realize the ironic contradiction behind your words.
It was said in jest, to provoke you.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #58
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Since this thread deals with political issues, I guess it's ok to talk about, well, political issues. Although it's a no brainer that american imperialism and islamofascism are equal threats to world peace, at least obama has toned down the idiotic cowboy style rhetoric of his predecessor. Too bad most of his compatriots are ill-equipped to understand his ideas.
What special equipment do you have? Which ideas?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #59
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
What special equipment do you have? Which ideas?
"Tell you what" Tex. How about you take a turn at it and put forward some of your own ideas instead of just asking these open ended questions. I'll critique you for a while.

argument.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #60
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
"Tell you what" Tex. How about you take a turn at it and put forward some of your own ideas instead of just asking these open ended questions. I'll critique you for a while.
But you weren't putting forward ideas.You were just stating your own opinion as fact.

Last edited by buddyholly : 01-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote