Laver's Biggest Dissapointment - 1972 WCT Finals - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond reputetennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laver's Biggest Dissapointment - 1972 WCT Finals

A great article and what a match it must have been! I have only seen the 30 minute highlight package from the finals.

http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/6737

Fave players: .. Seles .. Hingis .. Serena .. Venus .. Molik .. Stosur .. Sharapova .. Federer .. Roddick .. Hewitt .. Haas .. Rafter .. Safin ..
70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Roberta Flack .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. A Course in Miracles .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laver's Biggest Dissapointment - 1972 WCT Finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
A great article and what a match it must have been! I have only seen the 30 minute highlight package from the finals.

Incredible match, indeed! I was rooting for Ken, but thought for sure he would lose that tie breaker. Those returns of his were like a blur but so stunning. Ken, at 37, was indeed exhausted and could barely lift the trophy. No doubt it was one of the greatest wins over Laver in his career, but as Bud Collins said, Rod might dominate Ken in the smalller tournaments but Ken would usually win the big events. I, like many others, became totally hooked on tennis that day. I did not see the match the year before, in which Ken won in 4 close sets.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
country flag lightbulb

lightbulb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post

Thanks for posting this thread & I still think it's the "greatest" tennis match of all time. Our local national TV station had to replay the whole match a second time by popular demand. Ken Rosewell was recently on radio in Sydney Australia & mentioned he still remembers the match quite well. Interestingly he only has a 26min highlights of the match which leads me to ask you or anyone else who may look at these posts and that is do you know where I get a copy of the "whole" match ? I have tried without luck to find a complete copy of this match & would love to watch it again one day. Cheers !
lightbulb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
country flag lightbulb

lightbulb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Incredible match, indeed! I was rooting for Ken, but thought for sure he would lose that tie breaker. Those returns of his were like a blur but so stunning. Ken, at 37, was indeed exhausted and could barely lift the trophy. No doubt it was one of the greatest wins over Laver in his career, but as Bud Collins said, Rod might dominate Ken in the smalller tournaments but Ken would usually win the big events. I, like many others, became totally hooked on tennis that day. I did not see the match the year before, in which Ken won in 4 close sets.
It really was an amazing match & I don't think you were the only person to take up tennis after this "magnificent" match. What made this match so memorable was that "both" players were playing an incredibly high standard of tennis that day which I have never seen since. I do remember after the final point there was a moment of complete silence from the crowd as they were "stunned" at what they had just witnessed & then eventually the crowd applauded both players for their efforts. Ken was indeed completely exhausted after this match & it's rumored he left his winners check behind because of this. Cheers !
lightbulb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote