How does your nervousness/anxiety affect your tennis game? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
country flag The Anxious Athl

The Anxious Athl is on a distinguished road
Default How does your nervousness/anxiety affect your tennis game?

I've met people that practiced the same way they played matches, then there were people like me who could barely get on the court due to shakes etc, what kind of player are you and how do you deal with your nervousness/anxiety about an upcoming match?
A Professional Tennis player and coach on the Tennis Tour in his struggles with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder and Depression, also trying to raise a family and hang on to my other diminishing relationships, just spreading awareness about these common issues for pro athletes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhA0AObunFQ.

www.anxious-athlete.com
The Anxious Athl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does your nervousness/anxiety affect your tennis game?

Due to the shakes? Lol?

I think most players, even good ones, will feel nervousness and/or anxiety... I mean the pros talk about it all the time, how they still get nervous, it just means you really care. I still get nervous when I'm playing at the concert or in front of a crowd in general. Really, the only thing one can improve on is how quickly they lose their nervousness or just being naturally very confident with themselves.

Personally, for tennis, I kind of try to wear myself a little during the warm-up with the other player. I always feel my nervousness stems from having a bit too much energy, so when I feel any slight bit of tiredness it seems I calm down a little bit. Sometimes, it doesn't always work that way and especially if the match is a final, I continue to feel a little anxious, however, I do continue to wear myself down a little bit. Obviously I don't do it to the point where I can't run or hit the ball, but just getting rid of that excess energy. Luckily though, I have a adequate serve, so I'm able to hold my early service games without being too nervous about rallying.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to get a grip after a little attack of nerves. Although this is not always the case . I get angry more than nervous . I find the best way to get it out of the system is to blast a few shots during a rally no holding back at all .
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey the Anxious Athlete I saw your profile on itf and you have played with another MTFer.

About being nervous, I feel you must be confident in your game and assured you will give your effort without exceding too much. I try to care more about my footword nowadays and how I reach the ball than on the result of my shots. The last time I got very nervous was because I wanted too much to win so I couldnt concentrate on moving my body well.

But if you are still very nervous maybe you should try to do some therapy.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
country flag cmarshall7

cmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond repute

The tips I use, that I also use with the players I coach are:
-Develop goals for each match that are outside of "winning"
-Get a good team around you that is able to encourage you (and not just help you how to hit a good forehand) - anyone can show you how to play technically well, but if the teams not in your head supporting you, you aren't going out there and hitting that great forehand shot you practiced in training
-Play like you are ahead.
-Practice breathing exercises on court.
-Realise that winning a tennis match isn't life or death. there's life outside of tennis, so enjoy the opportunity you have to compete at the highest level.
-there's plenty more but that's a start
cmarshall7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

You simply channel your nerves to produce your best tennis
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #7

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to go more defensive when i am nervous i hit the ball less hard and start to grind until i feel comfortable again.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

It took me a few years, bit I find a mindset where everything I do on court during a match is done with minimal nerves and controlled expectation. It helps me produce my best tennis for extended periods of time, bit there will obviously be times when I get lackadaisical. A few nerves are often good to keep your feet on the ground and not attempt anything too risky.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
country flag SVK

SVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond reputeSVK has a reputation beyond repute

I don´t play tennis on any kind of circuit, but it does affect me very much even while practicing or playing friendly (I have some kind of psychical disorders, even take a pills for it - btw. does they have banned substances?). The difference between being nervous and not is very big, while being nervous my movement is no existent and I mean that literally, I can´t run And another problem is that I can´t swing properly, I have a problem with basic shots.

Anyway, if I would play for ITF circuit hypothetically, can I take pills for social anxiety and muscles tonus? (Rivotril - Klonazepam, Paretin - Paroxetin, Apaurin - Diazepam or Peritol - cyproheptadinihydrochloridum).
SVK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #10

I have got nervous playing people I know I should beat in singles and just started dinking and pushing . ( it always works ) this is just in case they win a game. Lol
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #11

Had a strange one today played 5 sets of singles . Lost them all to love . Seemed to need to go 40-0 down before winning points on his serve . My game just drove me ballistic . I won plenty of points but no games . Don't know whether I am just thick or what it is . Driving me crazy thought . Won so many points and just lost my nerve on the important points .