7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WWW: King of Grass

Roger Federer [SUI] 46 77.97%
William Renshaw [GBR] 13 22.03%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #61
country flag Super Djoker
Registered User
 
Super Djoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,421
Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Such a fail thread ! what about Pete Sampras ? for me it,s Pistol Pete !
__________________
Novak Djokovic 4 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledons
1 US Open
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #62
country flag howyesno
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,051
howyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is the Real King of Grass: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
No, the 90s and until they slowed the grass ought to be the weakest grass era. Why? Because at no other time in history has there been less rewards for good grass players. Before there were more important tournaments on grass, so more reason to be good at it. Now, the difference between grass and other surfaces is less, so being good on grass will also grant you success elsewhere.
seriously? if there was no reward for good grass players in 90s, how comes there were so many players with a game tailor made for grass, like ivanisevic, henman, philippoussis, rafter, krajicek, rusedski among others. if you say "no other time in history" that would imply this particular time in history is more rewarding for good grass players, yet there is not a single one grass specialist on top level.

in reality, sampras competed in much stronger competition and is, in my opinion, the best grass player ever.
howyesno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #63
country flag TigerTim
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 11,393
TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

One must remember that in the 90s grass courters also had carpet with which to utilise their skills and gain many points with serve volley. Basel, Vienna, Paris, Kremlin Cup, St Petersburg, Lyon, Rotterdam even London were all major carpet events.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
A dishwasher has more personality than Sampras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #64
country flag tyruk14
Registered User
 
tyruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,143
tyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond reputetyruk14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Pete Sampras.
__________________
14
tyruk14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #65
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 36,185
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is the Real King of Grass: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyesno View Post
seriously? if there was no reward for good grass players in 90s, how comes there were so many players with a game tailor made for grass, like ivanisevic, henman, philippoussis, rafter, krajicek, rusedski among others. if you say "no other time in history" that would imply this particular time in history is more rewarding for good grass players, yet there is not a single one grass specialist on top level.

in reality, sampras competed in much stronger competition and is, in my opinion, the best grass player ever.
I didn't say "No reward", I said "less". Still more than in many other sports.

The fact that noone now looks like a grass specialist is because being good on grass nowadays will also give you better results elsewhere. And the fact that the style of play which was successful on fast grass is less so on slow grass. So, as I said, if you feel the difference calls for both a "fast grass King" and a "slow grass King" then be my guest. If you choose just one, then Sampras is IMO no longer a contender, having been surpassed by Federer both in Wimbledon and in the grass warmups.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #66
country flag howyesno
Banned!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,051
howyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

you made a strawman with "fast grass King" and a "slow grass King" and want to move discussion in that direction. brilliant strategy. the fact is - there were no grass specialists for federer at all to compete when he was winning wimbledons, while there were bunch of them for sampras in his time.

not to mention you never cared to explain logic how the era with grass specialists is weaker than era with no grass specialists?!

and because I'm in a good mood, free hint for you: grass is grass, physics of the grass game didn't change at all, the ball still stays low on slices, ball still bounces irregular from time to time, it is still much harder to move than on hard courts and clay. for the real reason for play style change (no specialists) you need to take a look at strings and rackets.
howyesno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #67
country flag Mr.Michael
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 34
Posts: 500
Mr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Michael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is the Real King of Grass: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
"The 1889 final however, may have been Renshaw's most memorable. He faced Harry Barlow in the All-Comers final for the right to play his brother in the Wimbledon final. After forcing the match to a fifth set, Renshaw fell behind 0-5 and faced six match points.

He would save all of them and defeat Barlow in one of the most incredible comebacks ever seen."

nice.
Harry Barlow must be one of the biggest chokers in history.

I read that article too, not bad. It said that there were 2500 people watching Renshaw winning in 1881 and packed houses elsewhere too. When you look at the crowds at Doha and China, I'd say that 1881 doesn't sound that bad after all.
Mr.Michael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #68
country flag Serve&Volley01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 310
Serve&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
One must remember that in the 90s grass courters also had carpet with which to utilise their skills and gain many points with serve volley. Basel, Vienna, Paris, Kremlin Cup, St Petersburg, Lyon, Rotterdam even London were all major carpet events.
Can we stick to the 1890s and 80s instead of the 1990s since that is what the thread is about?
Serve&Volley01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #69
country flag TigerTim
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 11,393
TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve&Volley01 View Post
Can we stick to the 1890s and 80s instead of the 1990s since that is what the thread is about?


Didn't federer begin his career in the 90s
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
A dishwasher has more personality than Sampras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #70
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 36,185
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyesno View Post
you made a strawman with "fast grass King" and a "slow grass King" and want to move discussion in that direction. brilliant strategy. the fact is - there were no grass specialists for federer at all to compete when he was winning wimbledons, while there were bunch of them for sampras in his time.

not to mention you never cared to explain logic how the era with grass specialists is weaker than era with no grass specialists?!

and because I'm in a good mood, free hint for you: grass is grass, physics of the grass game didn't change at all, the ball still stays low on slices, ball still bounces irregular from time to time, it is still much harder to move than on hard courts and clay. for the real reason for play style change (no specialists) you need to take a look at strings and rackets.
I'm not the one who introduced the concept of fast grass as somehow being a mitigating factor enabling a player with less merits to be regarded as greater than his superior. For me, grass is grass. If you want to find the greatest grass player of all time, look for who has won most on it. You'll then find you have a choice between Laver and Federer. Laver won more, but also had more opportunities. How you weigh that is up to you. Sampras, however, won less than Federer with exactly the same opportunities. As it is patently impossible to prove he faced stronger opponents, no circumstantial evidence to suggest that he did, and theories can be made in either direction, sticking to the merits seems the obvious solution.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #71
heya
Banned!
 
heya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,584
heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Renshaw could play all court tennis because no one beat him 7 times when he didn't do his best.
No one had improved shoes and a powerful racket back then.
He would've defeated Henman, Ancic, Nadal & Roddick in any era. Federer would lose if he faces match point because he can't defend the court with his own volleys..

Borg and Sampras only had tough matches with great Wimbledon opponents.
Federer struggled badly against inconsistent grass players including ones outside the top 40..
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #72
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!
 
Corey Feldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,413
Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

when Renshaw was winning Wimbledon = no player could serve 130MPH
when Borg was winning Wimbledon = 1 player could serve 130MPH
when Sampras was winning Wimbledon = 5 players could serve 130MPH
when Federeich winning Wimbledon = 50 players could serve 130MPH
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #73
country flag atennisfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,007
atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
when Renshaw was winning Wimbledon = no player could serve 130MPH
when Borg was winning Wimbledon = 1 player could serve 130MPH
when Sampras was winning Wimbledon = 5 players could serve 130MPH
when Federeich winning Wimbledon = 50 players could serve 130MPH

Owned!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #74
country flag TigerTim
Registered User
 
TigerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 11,393
TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Racket technology?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
A dishwasher has more personality than Sampras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #75
country flag Benny_Maths
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 564
Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Wimbledon Titles. Who is Real King of Grass?: William Renshaw vs Roger Federer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyesno View Post
not to mention you never cared to explain logic how the era with grass specialists is weaker than era with no grass specialists?!
Take a 50 year old who has never played tennis and train him to play on grass courts exclusively. You will then have a grass court specialist who in reality is worse on grass than any top 50 player today. This example shows you that specialisation in itself has nothing to do with skill level or competition.
Benny_Maths is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios