Worrying times: lots of challengers missing in 2013 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worrying times: lots of challengers missing in 2013

well I've heard that tennis audiences are not good in many countries, when the sport is shown.

It seems to me that even when golf audiences are much much worse as it's the case in France, still TVs and sponsors find an interest in it because this audience is rather composed of rich people. That's why there's a golf channel in France but it's very expensive. Still they created that channel because they thought that golf amateurs could afford that money.

On the opposite I read tennis fans speaking a lot on forums who only watch tennis when it's free
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #47
country flag Helevorn

Helevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond reputeHelevorn has a reputation beyond repute

It is a natural thing: here in Mafialand we have much more than a dozen of Challengers and almost no one goes and see them, and moreover they are almost all free, I don't even know how they managed to survive that long.

The Challenger that was closer to me was the one in Reggio Emilia, transformed into an ITF female tournament in 2011 and then closed for good in 2012.
Helevorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #48
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

You get barely a few hundred watching the streams and you would get a few thousands watching it on TV, which is not an audience any sponsor would pay for.

Challengers happen in smaller halls and clubs, it's not like watching Chatrier. Anyone who has watched a challenger knows that only a few are worth to be seen, also because of the bad tennis level there.

When you're used to watch the big guys you could suicide from boredom watching the actual mugs of the game.

We get bored watching Tipsarevic, Ferrer, etc. and we are hardcore fans, what to say about their lesser versions...

Not even the betting sites are showing this tennis and they have both the possibility and interest, but obviously not enough interest compared to even Philipino Basketbal..

So get real with the TV situation and keep trying to find what dozens of professionals cannot.

It would be great to see it at least once in my life how average Joe finds the answer that multinationals couldn't. Once i see this i could die in peace.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #49
country flag ciprianned

ciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond repute

bad newz ! (
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #50
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
You get barely a few hundred watching the streams and you would get a few thousands watching it on TV, which is not an audience any sponsor would pay for.

Challengers happen in smaller halls and clubs, it's not like watching Chatrier. Anyone who has watched a challenger knows that only a few are worth to be seen, also because of the bad tennis level there.

When you're used to watch the big guys you could suicide from boredom watching the actual mugs of the game.

We get bored watching Tipsarevic, Ferrer, etc. and we are hardcore fans, what to say about their lesser versions...

Not even the betting sites are showing this tennis and they have both the possibility and interest, but obviously not enough interest compared to even Philipino Basketbal..
Betting sites stream Challenger tennis pretty much every day of the year.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #51
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
Betting sites stream Challenger tennis pretty much every day of the year.
Which ones?

And the point here is - there aren't cameras at 80% of the challengers and if the organizers don't put some 10 bucks cams in 2 points of the stands, no one would even bother.

Anyways, there aren't even a third of challengers streamed mate, so every day of the year is a solid exaggeration imo. Maybe the fact i'm not betting for a couple years makes me uninformed, but i keep a few bucks at b365 just for the stream and there aren't that many overall.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #52
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which ones?

And the point here is - there aren't cameras at 80% of the challengers and if the organizers don't put some 10 bucks cams in 2 points of the stands, no one would even bother.

Anyways, there aren't even a third of challengers streamed mate, so every day of the year is a solid exaggeration imo. Maybe the fact i'm not betting for a couple years makes me uninformed, but i keep a few bucks at b365 just for the stream and there aren't that many overall.
This simply isn't true.
Smoke944 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #53
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which ones?

yes, you're uninformed. you could count the weeks of the season without a streamed Challenger on bet365 on the fingers of one hand.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #54
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

latso, you are uninformed. The Challengers in Asia aren't streamed, but in other continents it's quite easy to find streams.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #55
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

In Argentina Challengers are working quite well. There was one Challenger event for years but in 2012 they kept the one of Buenos Aires and extended two more to the inland of the country. Those two more tournaments were really succesful to the point they are planning to add 5 tournaments in total to that list. Those 5 tournaments will be running on the 2nd semester.

They had not televised (San Juan and Villa Allende's ones) to the rest of the country ( I don't know the real reason to be honest). The challenger of Buenos Aires was televised and that didn't affected the public attendance as SF and F tickets were almost all sold out.

A good calendar organization plus a raise in prize money in some of them/hospitality may lead to improve the quality of players attending them and a good broadcast would bring more public and in consecuence sponsors and TV contracts. Definitely a marketing plan is compulsory. But is the ATP who should be doing that job...
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cañas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.

Last edited by fran70 : 12-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #56
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

honestly, best challenger are european ones, in general, asian and american(specially south american) have way weaker fields. so they should increase prize money specially in europe imo

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Brydan Klein-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Hugo Nys-Pol Toledo
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #57
country flag latso

My bad then.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #58
country flag Leo

Leo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
Indeed bad news for tennis. These tournaments should be supported financialy because here is where the young players are being formed and they should be promoted as they represent the future of tennis
This. All developing players need match play. Challengers provide that, so it's scary to see them become more infrequent if that is the case.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #59
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This. All developing players need match play. Challengers provide that, so it's scary to see them become more infrequent if that is the case.
The young players play Futures and those are increasing big time year after year.

Sometimes instead of some useless challengers indeed.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #60
country flag Leo

Leo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The young players play Futures and those are increasing big time year after year.

Sometimes instead of some useless challengers indeed.
Look at Benoit Paire. 23 and developing. All credit to match wins at the challenger level which last year he took to greater success on the ATP tour.