Do you agree with current Australian Open odds? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you agree with current Australian Open odds?

Overall looks OK, Nadal a little bit underrated, Federer overrated maybe, but Ferrer is clearly underrated here, he should be very near to Del Po.

Tsonga made a big performance here once but overall this surface is too slow for him. Too slow for Berdych as well.
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying he will win, but Rafa is HUGELY underrated in the bookies. If you put 10 dolars in him, you wont lose that match and you may even win a lot, cause it wouldnt be THAT much of a shocker (not 1/11, thats for sure) if he wins the whole thing...

Bernard Tomic (The future)

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4594/1ugb.jpg

João Sousa, the first portuguese ever to win an ATP singles tittle (Malaysia Open 2013)
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
So if I were to bet a million dollars on "not Janowicz" what'd i get?
Betting against events happening ("laying") requires a lot of money - especially at Janowicz's odds because he is 130/1 on to win but 160/1 against - for very little gain. If you wanted to lay $1m against him winning it - this is your overall liability - you'd only win around $6,300 on top of your original stake (as you have to cover it 160 times).

See below:

Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado & Gil View Post
Not saying he will win, but Rafa is HUGELY underrated in the bookies. If you put 10 dolars in him, you wont lose that match and you may even win a lot, cause it wouldnt be THAT much of a shocker (not 1/11, thats for sure) if he wins the whole thing...
Nadal underrated? I don't see that. Are you really expecting him to be at his best immediately after a six-month inactive period? And even at his best this is a tough tournament to win for him. He's won it once in eight tries, after all, it's not the RG we're talking about.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

For all those going on about the bookies over/underrating certain players. Let's just say the bookies very rarely get it wrong Chances are the over/underrating is going on with posters on here.

I'm tempted to bet on both Djokovic and Murray to win as you can still make money (pre-tournament at least) that way. It's a bit of a cowardly bet as a Nole fan, though.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
For all those going on about the bookies over/underrating certain players. Let's just say the bookies very rarely get it wrong Chances are the over/underrating is going on with posters on here.

I'm tempted to bet on both Djokovic and Murray to win as you can still make money (pre-tournament at least) that way. It's a bit of a cowardly bet as a Nole fan, though.
Bookies getting it right is not the same as bookies telling it like it is. The try to make the book. If they know a large contingent of fans is going to bet on one particular player to win come hell or high water, the odds for this player will drop no matter how unlikely they think he is to win.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Bookies getting it right is not the same as bookies telling it like it is. The try to make the book. If they know a large contingent of fans is going to bet on one particular player to win come hell or high water, the odds for this player will drop no matter how unlikely they think he is to win.
And when do fans do that? When a player is showing such form that it's pretty predictable that he has the most chances to win a tournament. Remember that a lot of betters are not necessarily blind fanboys, when it comes to money a lot of people harness a surprising amount of objectivity.

All this bottled up in fewer words is: at the end of the day what bookies are laying on the table is the reality as it can be best processed at a moment in time. In rare, rare occasions have I seen bookmakers making gifts and that won't change anytime soon.

When I look at these odds I see the reality of how things might turn out come the end of January, at the time of this post and seeing how a couple of warm-up events rarely do change that I have no reason to not follow that idea.
You can make money out of sports betting by seeing enough of the unpredictable right and meshing that with bland, obvious odds like the one in the OP. Sometimes the market might fluctuate a bit and offer some openings but let's not kid ourselves those are all just flashes in the pan.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
And I read how they made their bets, it was far from pure science.

I agree that generally they are quite fair, but it's not science either.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
And I read how they made their bets, it was far from pure science.

I agree that generally they are quite fair, but it's not science either.
It's pretty much all science!
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
It's pretty much all science!
really ? did I read something wrong then ? do you have a source for how they do ?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
And when do fans do that? When a player is showing such form that it's pretty predictable that he has the most chances to win a tournament. Remember that a lot of betters are not necessarily blind fanboys, when it comes to money a lot of people harness a surprising amount of objectivity.

All this bottled up in fewer words is: at the end of the day what bookies are laying on the table is the reality as it can be best processed at a moment in time. In rare, rare occasions have I seen bookmakers making gifts and that won't change anytime soon.

When I look at these odds I see the reality of how things might turn out come the end of January, at the time of this post and seeing how a couple of warm-up events rarely do change that I have no reason to not follow that idea.
You can make money out of sports betting by seeing enough of the unpredictable right and meshing that with bland, obvious odds like the one in the OP. Sometimes the market might fluctuate a bit and offer some openings but let's not kid ourselves those are all just flashes in the pan.
More often than you'd think. I've spoken to a professional about this. It's a few years ago now, but the fundamentals haven't changed in any way as far as I can see.

Bookies making gifts don't come into it. A gift would be to have "correct" high odds for a fan favourite, only to see half the field betting on him. Then they'd be cruelly exposed, and bookies hate uncertainty. Ideally for them, they'll be left with the same amount of money whoever wins the tournament.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
really ? did I read something wrong then ? do you have a source for how they do ?
For pre-tournament odds specifically? Or betting in general?

This is for the latter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6FAUQ6SFKM
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
country flag duong

Quote:
For pre-tournament odds specifically? Or betting in general?

This is for the latter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6FAUQ6SFKM
thanks, I can't watch Youtube here, but I will watch later.

But yes I spoke of pre-tournament odds, all sports are different and you can't use the same methods for all of them.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #29
Banned!

Quote:
thanks, I can't watch Youtube here, but I will watch later.

But yes I spoke of pre-tournament odds, all sports are different and you can't use the same methods for all of them.
Of course not, but everything is based on statistics and whatnot.

I'm really not smart enough to explain it but I've spent years listening to those that can and betting is a form of science. By that I mean the way in which everything is broken down to the nth degree, such as checking forecasts for upcoming tournaments etc.

There is practically no guess work involved anymore. With regards to pre-tournament odds there is a wealth of stats out there for people to use to price things up.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
country flag duong

Quote:
Of course not, but everything is based on statistics and whatnot.

I'm really not smart enough to explain it but I've spent years listening to those that can and betting is a form of science. By that I mean the way in which everything is broken down to the nth degree, such as checking forecasts for upcoming tournaments etc.

There is practically no guess work involved anymore. With regards to pre-tournament odds there is a wealth of stats out there for people to use to price things up.
I'm a professional statistician and have worked on economic forecast for several years with some of the most educated people of my country, and I don't think it's any kind of science. There are calculations, sometimes many ones, but the starting hypotheses are much much more important for the results.