Will IMG move India´s only ATP event to another location? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will IMG move India´s only ATP event to another location?

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/ATP---...icolo7088.html

Quote:
Will IMG move India´s only ATP event to another location?
Chennai event could be moved if more sponsorship from government not forthcoming

ATP Tennis 22 Nov 2012 - 13:14 / by Prakash

After recent events in the United States have moved, the only ATP event in the Indian sub-continent could also be moved out in the coming years.

The Aircel Open in Chennai has been held in the South Indian city for the last 17 years and January 2013 will be its 18th edition. But the state tennis association who is backing the event has said that IMG could move the event to another country but they will do all in their powers to keep it in Chennai.

“IMG has the opportunity to take the tournament to other countries also. But TNTA is discussing with IMG so that the tournament stays in Chennai. For this, we need to commit ourselves to hosting it for at least five years,” said M. A. Alagappan, President, TNTA. “We hope Aircel will be with us; we will also need additional sponsors to come in."

The Tamil Nadu Government has hiked its support to the Chennai Open from Rs 1 crore to Rs 2 crore.

For 2013, the top players particiapting include world no. 6 Tomas Berdych (finally not ...), Janko Tipsarevic, Marin Cilic and Stanislas Wawrinka.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will IMG move India´s only ATP event to another location?

How many tournaments can India lose?
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratik View Post
How many tournaments can India lose?
1. Chennai. They have no other tournaments maan.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
1. Chennai. They have no other tournaments maan.
No tournaments in India seem to last.
First there was there Indian Open(73-79), then the Kingfisher Airlines(06-07 in India).
On the WTA tour, there was the Sunfeast Open(05-07) and the Bangalore Open(03-08).
The Chennai open is the only tennis tournament in India that has lasted more then 6 years, and as of now one of only two tournaments in India(the other one is a WTA challenger that started this year)
It would be a real shame if the Chennai open moved out.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this stays
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
country flag kevin_071

kevin_071 is on a distinguished road

What is IMG stand for? Is that the agency company?

Li Na Serena Williams

Zhang Ling Zheng Jie Peng Shaui

Andy Roddick Milos Raonic

Grigor Dimitrov Ryan Harrison

Novak Djokovic
kevin_071 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
country flag Pratik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_071 View Post
What is IMG stand for? Is that the agency company?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=IMG
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
country flag Pratik

Quote:
CHENNAI: Come 2014, and Chennai Open may become history.

With the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association's (TNTA) contract with International Management Group (IMG), the promoters of the event, ending with the 2013 edition, there's a possibility that the annual carnival may move out of the country.

According to sources, IMG had got offers from Turkey and China, and the TNTA was trying its best to hold it back. IMG-TNTA ties go a long way back, and with the event stepping into its 18th edition in 2013, it's the goodwill card that the local association is trying to play in its desperate bid to ensure that the marquee event stays in Chennai.

For the IMG deal to come through, TNTA will have to pledge to host the tournament for the next five years.
"We are in talks with IMG so that Chennai doesn't lose out on this premier event. For this, we need to promise to host the event from 2014-2018," said TNTA president M A Alagappan on Thursday.

IMG, on its part, played it safe when quizzed about the chances of the contract renewal. "Negotiations are on, so it would be premature to make any comment," Ashu Jindal, chief operating officer of IMG, said.

Chennai Open is India's only ATP event, and it has seen stars like Boris Becker, Patrick Rafter, Carlos Moya and Rafael Nadal taking part. Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi won their first doubles title in Chennai as well and in recent times, Somdev Devvarman became a household name after making the final of the event in 2009.

But with events like Brisbane International, Hopman Cup and the Doha Open happening in the same week, some top players choose to use those tournaments as preparation for Australian Open, which takes place in the last week of January. Last year's champion Milos Raonic, for example, will be playing in Brisbane instead of defending his title in Chennai in 2013.

With the diminishing star value, sponsorship is becoming a problem for the state tennis association. Aircel, the title sponsor for the last three years, hasn't renewed its contract for the 2014 edition TNTA, though, is not losing hope. "While we heavily bank on Aircel, we also need additional sponsors to come in," said Alagappan
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...tnta-atp-event
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No tournaments in India seem to last.
First there was there Indian Open(73-79), then the Kingfisher Airlines(06-07 in India).
On the WTA tour, there was the Sunfeast Open(05-07) and the Bangalore Open(03-08).
The Chennai open is the only tennis tournament in India that has lasted more then 6 years, and as of now one of only two tournaments in India(the other one is a WTA challenger that started this year)
It would be a real shame if the Chennai open moved out.
I meant currently.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
country flag Pratik

A bit of good news for Chennai Open as BOLS Kyndal are sponsoring the 2013 edition for the 2nd year and Volvo for 5th. With the increase in sponsorship given by the Tamil Nadu government, I believe if Aircel(currently title sponsor) commits to sponsor the tournament for the next few years, it should stay in Chennai.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
country flag mreccentric

mreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond repute

let them move it to some other city in India.
mreccentric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
country flag Pratik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
let them move it to some other city in India.
I don't think there is any other city in India that can host an ATP tournament. Anyway, ifeven there were, that would definitely not happen. If it stays, one of the reasons will be the backing it gets by the Tamil Nadu government. Nothing like that would be there in any other state in India. If the tournament moves out of Chennai, it will move out of India.

It seems that the Chennai Open is having a good year(2013 edition) in terms sponsorship. As expected, it seems that if Aircel continues its sponsorship there is no reason for the tournament to move out.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
country flag mreccentric

mreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think there is any other city in India that can host an ATP tournament. Anyway, ifeven there were, that would definitely not happen. If it stays, one of the reasons will be the backing it gets by the Tamil Nadu government. Nothing like that would be there in any other state in India. If the tournament moves out of Chennai, it will move out of India.

It seems that the Chennai Open is having a good year(2013 edition) in terms sponsorship. As expected, it seems that if Aircel continues its sponsorship there is no reason for the tournament to move out.
Thats true, the board has to improve the infrastructure of courts in some cities. Bangalore and Delhi have good courts.
mreccentric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

They signed the deal . The event will run till 2016 Hope we get a top 4 player next year preferably Federer
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
country flag Pratik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
They signed the deal . The event will run till 2016 Hope we get a top 4 player next year preferably Federer
For those of you who didn't see it, they announced this at the ceremony after the final.

Quote:
Putting to rest all the doubts, the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) and IMG Reliance, the organisers of the Chennai Open, on Sunday announced the extension of the ATP Tour event for another three years.

With this extension, India and South Asia's only ATP tour event will continue to be held in Chennai until 2016. The 2013 event was the 18th edition of the tournament in India and 17th edition in Chennai.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/17915558.cms