ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season - Page 96 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which of these compulsory 1000 level events would you drop

05.03.2012 - Hard - BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, USA 10 7.09%
23.03.2011 - Hard - Sony Ericsson Open, Miami, USA 16 11.35%
01.05.2011 - Clay - Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain 14 9.93%
08.05.2011 - Clay - Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy 10 7.09%
08.08.2011 - Hard - Rogers Cup, Montreal, Canada 6 4.26%
14.08.2011 - Hard - Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati, USA 20 14.18%
09.10.2011 - Hard - Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China 48 34.04%
07.11.2011 - Hard - BNP Paribas Masters - Paris, France 17 12.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #1426
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP-ITF Calendar/Schedule Suggestions, Shorter Season

or just make the Aussie Open grass again
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #1427
country flag interruptus25

interruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond reputeinterruptus25 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that Acapulco´s surface will change from clay to hard from 2014 on. It will still be played in february before iw and miami. Seems like a good decision to me. The south american clay court swing (Santiago, SP, B.A., Rio) will move to november. Not a good decision IMO.

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas/2...nis-en-cemento
interruptus25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #1428
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Calender, 2014 onwards

Trying to regroup infos/rumours about that topic here.

Firstly I heard that the reform might be delayed to 2015, not 2014 (Guy Forget, Paris-Bercy director, said that : http://www.welovetennis.fr/interviews/58023-forget).

The idea seemed to have Paris-Bercy in february and the SouthAmerican swing in december.

Now the poster Fiber from Argentina seems to have several infos about that :
- there will be a meeting about that during the Australian open
- the WTF would be in october
- the new southAmerican swing would start in december 2014
- in the meantime the southAmerican swing would switch to hardcourts with an ATP500 tournament in Brazil
(sponsors having bought from Memphis the right to own an ATP500 tournament -PS : it seems that Memphis will keep an ATP250 tournament which will replace San Jose-). It seems coherent with Guy Forget's interview who said that the main opposition to the reform came from claycourt players whereas southAmerican organizers liked the december period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiBeR View Post
Brazil only thinks for itself in the region, bought an ATP500 tournament in a 4 week calendar making it 5 tournaments in a packed 4-week tour, and will drag down every tournament of the Latin American claycourt swing into hardcourts starting in december 2014 valid for the 2015 season (this is together with Paris Bercy final call to change, but the fact that BRA bought the ATP500 is part of the final push that made this happen).

There will be a meeting in january at the Aus Open about it, but it is almost sure that the L.A. swing is changing to december, the season will end in october and the 2015 season will start first days of december in south america.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiBeR View Post
Problem is.. the owner of the ATP Copa Claro (I think he is puertorrican) claimed that Europe protested saying it is not fair only South America will have a tour in decemeber, so they are pushing to have tournaments in europe as well during the L.A. swing.

Picture this: early december, tired of a tough year, having to start one right over... Will you bother making the trip from home when having tournaments in Europe to go to South America then to Australia?

Ive heard from the owner of the tournament today that the idea was to bring good players to the tour.. meaning uniting efforts from every tournament held and instead of having 1 good star each, having e.g. 3 that will make the trip... if you understand what I mean.
Besides, we've heard that sponsors from Bogota have bought Los Angeles tournament but they don't like the date of Los Angeles tournament.

Something else : on their rankings page last monday, the ATP said that the official year-end rankings for 2012 were those from the 19th of november(that means the rankings after the DC final). Seems coherent with the idea that in the future the beginning of the calendar year would start in december of the previous year.

Other annex but still important topics :

- what about the intermediate period and the week between Paris Masters 1000 and the WTF which has been erased ? we talked a lot about that this year, and it's still a topic as long as Paris-Bercy is still just before the WTF

- what about the transition from one calendar to another ?
What I guess : the 2014 season would be the same as now with a WTF in november 2014 ... then one month later the southAmerican swing would be the start of the 2015 season which would be the first one with the new calendar, and the first Paris february tournament would be in february 2015, 4 months after Paris-Bercy 2014.

All these things should be discussed during the Australian open.

Something else which should not be related but who knows : recently we've heard that IMG might want to sell Chennai tournament, they have offers from Turkey and China : http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=213309

Thanks for sharing your infos/rumours on that topic here

Last edited by duong : 11-29-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: only one ATP500 tournament - see Fiber's post
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #1429
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute

*I heard that Acapulco will be part of the preparation tournaments to Indian Wells & Miami and not part of the Latin American swing if things go as the tendency goes.. Also switching to Hardcourts. (which makes sense under the moveout of the 4-week tour to december... keeping it a 4-week tour)

In that way, the Latin American swing will stay with 1 ATP 500 and 3 250s. But indeed, the owners of the other tournaments in the Latin American swing werent consulted about buying a 5th tournament in a 4-week tour (the current claycourt swing) and the ATP didn't put any restriction to Memphis being sold to a different part of the world (brazil).
So, having 5 tournaments in 4 weeks is simply not an option, so the season is rescheduling Latin America to december (final say will be next month in Oz Open). Also, the tour will fit in what Paris Bercy wants...

Minor detail: if there is a switch to december, that will also screw all the exhibitions in Argentina because of the protections of the ATP 500s and ATP 250s: this is ->
*No ATP Top 30 player can play an exhibition in any part of the world if there is an ATP500 tournament held somewhere in the globe
*No exhibition can be held 30 days before and 30 days after an ATP250 in a place no closer than 160 kilometres (100 miles)... so basically this is also "bye bye" to the Copa Peugeot Argentina de Tenis and the other exhibitions in Bs As..

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

Last edited by FiBeR : 11-29-2012 at 02:42 PM.
FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #1430
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah very interesting hopefully we will know more after AO
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #1431
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that the Latin American swing may get any profit to have a clay court season in December when tennis players are on holidays and/or training for the next season. If the tendency of the ATP is to shorten the length of the tour I cannot see a logical reason to extend it to December with a Latin American swing. February is perfect for that and probably it's time to set Rio as the ATP 500 of that clay court swing and move Acapulco500 to hard courts as a previous tournament to Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.

If China can hold an ATP in January (indoors) why not to move the Australia/Asian tour to January/February remaining Australia and previous tournaments in January and moving the Asian swing to February? That would allow to move the South American swing after the US Open. And at the same time reduce Indian Wells and Miami MS to one week and add the previous and later week of IW with Acapulco (moved to hard courts) and other US hard court tournaments. And the indoor European tournaments that is hold in February to be move to mid September / October and have on that way a longer indoor season in Europe.
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cańas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #1432
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran70 View Post
I don't see that the Latin American swing may get any profit to have a clay court season in December when tennis players are on holidays and/or training for the next season. If the tendency of the ATP is to shorten the length of the tour I cannot see a logical reason to extend it to December with a Latin American swing. February is perfect for that and probably it's time to set Rio as the ATP 500 of that clay court swing and move Acapulco500 to hard courts as a previous tournament to Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.
Read what was written again :

1. the year on Tour would end in mid-october after the WTF (which is what Nadal and Djokovic have asked for long)

2. the southAmerican swing would be the beginning of the next year

3. SouthAmerican tournaments from december are likely to switch to hardcourts
Old 12-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #1433
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Read what was written again :

1. the year on Tour would end in mid-october after the WTF (which is what Nadal and Djokovic have asked for long)

2. the southAmerican swing would be the beginning of the next year

3. SouthAmerican tournaments from december are likely to switch to hardcourts
Ok I see. Well, I don't find it a good idea. Although I'm wondering who would be coming in December down under here. That would be pretty much like a pre-season to the one that is starting in January.
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cańas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #1434
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran70 View Post
Ok I see. Well, I don't find it a good idea. Although I'm wondering who would be coming in December down under here. That would be pretty much like a pre-season to the one that is starting in January.
I understand but I think that with good money, it's possible to attract a lot of players, see what happened with SA exhos this month.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #1435
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

God all of these ideas are AWFUL !!! AWFUL I MEAN !!!

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #1436
country flag Adri89

Adri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond repute

As a fan of clay court tennis, I don't like those ideas either. We've hard all the time, that's bored me...
I would like also to see a true indoor season and not just two weeks before the WTF...
I think that the true problem of our calendar is the Asian swing, which makes no great sense for players (only for the business of ATP to developp tennis in Asia).

Currently things are :
USO
Davis Cup SF
Metz/St Petersburg
Bangkok/Kuala Lumpur
Beijing/Tokyo
Shanghai
Vienne/Stockholm/Moscow
Bale/Valence
Bercy
WTF

I would like to see :
USO
Davis Cup SF
Metz/St Petersburg/Bangkok
Vienne/Moscow/Kuala Lumpur
Valence/Tokyo - ATP 500
Stockholm as a M1000 (or an other place if you prefer)
Montpellier/Beijing (downgraded to 250)
Bâle/Shanghai - ATP 500
Paris Bercy
a week off
WTF

So you have a true indoor season with two masters and two ATP 500, and for those who want to play in Asia in outdoor you keep the tournaments.

A good way to make the season shorter would be to play Indian Wells and Miami in one week each. 2 weeks shorter, you can put a week off between Bercy and WTF and this will finish one week before now
Adri89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #1437
country flag fran70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri89 View Post
As a fan of clay court tennis, I don't like those ideas either. We've hard all the time, that's bored me...
I would like also to see a true indoor season and not just two weeks before the WTF...
I think that the true problem of our calendar is the Asian swing, which makes no great sense for players (only for the business of ATP to developp tennis in Asia).

Currently things are :
USO
Davis Cup SF
Metz/St Petersburg
Bangkok/Kuala Lumpur
Beijing/Tokyo
Shanghai
Vienne/Stockholm/Moscow
Bale/Valence
Bercy
WTF

I would like to see :
USO
Davis Cup SF
Metz/St Petersburg/Bangkok
Vienne/Moscow/Kuala Lumpur
Valence/Tokyo - ATP 500
Stockholm as a M1000 (or an other place if you prefer)
Montpellier/Beijing (downgraded to 250)
Bâle/Shanghai - ATP 500
Paris Bercy
a week off
WTF

So you have a true indoor season with two masters and two ATP 500, and for those who want to play in Asia in outdoor you keep the tournaments.

A good way to make the season shorter would be to play Indian Wells and Miami in one week each. 2 weeks shorter, you can put a week off between Bercy and WTF and this will finish one week before now
Finally I find someone that approached to my position!
I agree with you about the idea of having a European indoor season extended from mid September ending with the WTF (that will mean to move the indoor tournaments that are hold in February to that time of the season).
At the same time I believe that you cannot erase the Asian Tour (which I don't find it a good idea). So I think that a schedule should be organized between and after the Australian Open which should include an indoor/outdoor season in Middle East/ Asia, which may consist of these tournaments (in non particular order): Brisbane, Doha,Chennai, Auckland, Sydney, Dubai, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Beijing, Tokyo and MS Shanghai. All those tournaments should be hold between January and February,
In March can be the 1st North American swing shortening MS of Indian Wells and Miami to one week each and including Acapulco, Delray Beach.
In April, May and June the European clay and grass season with an extra week of grass tournaments between Roland Garros and Wimbledon
July and August would include the 2nd clay European season and the 2nd North American swing keeping the MS of Montreal and Cincinatti and ending it with the US Open.
From mid September to early November the European indoor season would take place with MS Paris Bercy and WTF in London and a one month Latin American clay court swing taking place from mid September and finishing in mid October.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #1438
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond reputecoolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri89 View Post

I think they should just move the Asian circuit to winter. SA can have their clay or hard court season in December, though none of the top players will care (except maybe Ferrer and Del Potro).

I am sure they can fill some thing like:

01 Bogota, Chennai
02 Buenos Aires, Doha
03 Santiago, Dubai
04 Sao Paulo, Adelaide
05 Rio de Janeiro, Brisbane, Hopman Cup

06 Sydney, Auckland
07-08 Melbourne AO
09 Beijing, Kuala Lumpur
10 Shanghai
11 Tokyo, Bangkok
12 Davis Cup

13 Acapulco, Casablanca
14 Houston, Bucharest
15 Madrid, Stuttgart
16 Barcelona, Munich
17 Monte Carlo
18 Estoril, Belgrade, Bastad
19 Hamburg, Gstaad
20 Umag, Kitzbuhel
21 Roma
22 Dusseldorf, Nice
23-24 Roland Garros

25 Newport, Manchester
26 Halle, Nottingham
27 London Queens
28 's-Hertogenbosch, Eastbourne
29-30 Wimbledon

31 Davis Cup
32 Indian Wells
33 San Jose, Delray Beach
34 Montreal/Toronto
35 Atlanta, Memphis
36 Cincinnati
37 Washington, Winston Salem
38-39 Flushing USO

40 Davis Cup
41 Metz, Vienna, St. Petersburg
42 Rotterdam, Montepellier
43 Zagreb, Marseille
44 Paris
45 Basel, Moscow
46 Valencia, Stockholm

47-48 Miami MSC
49 Davis Cup Final

- 4 GS
- 8 MS
- 1 WTF
- 5 Additional
- MAX Tournament Cap: 25 per season
- Miami MSC will be 96 player draw (no Q) worth 1,500 points, Top 32 gets R128 bye

DTT(D) : 2012 Nice & Eastbourne, Olympics Bronze, 2013 Indian Wells w/supertec
PAW    : 2012 Atlanta
Suicide: 2011 Barcelona*, 2012 U.S. Open*, WTF*, 2013 Gstaad, Winston-Salem*
TT(S)  : 2011 Szczecin CH, 2013 Miami & Stuttgart
TT(D)  : 2011 Eastbourne w/Blarghman, Pozoblanco CH w/MuriloBrasil, Genova CH w/ESimp, Szczecin CH w/Dexter,
         2012 Newport w/chowdaheads25, 2013 Memphis & Stuttgart w/Blarghman
FITD   : 2011 Kuala Lumpur, 2012 Kitzbühel, 2013/14 Monte Carlo
coolfish1103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #1439
country flag duong

very bad idea imo to merge here the thread about "ATP calender 2014".

What should have been moved was the 3 last posts from people who wanted to express there what they want.

Personally I don't really care what some people behind their computer dream what the schedule could be,

but what the Tour will really be in 2014-2015 I'm very concerned by it

Isn't there a big difference between what people want and the reality ?

And this topic will come back in one month : we will probably know the new schedule : what are mods going to do then ? still mixing the real schedule with all of the fantasy schedules ?

Last edited by duong : 12-18-2012 at 03:51 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #1440
country flag Adri89

Adri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond reputeAdri89 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah sorry duong for the off-topic, my bad.
Adri89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote