Twist/Kick serve Help!!! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
country flag tsubassa

tsubassa is on a distinguished road
Default Twist/Kick serve Help!!!

Im trying to develop a good twist/kick serve for my second serve. but im having trouble getting the side spin on it to bounce in oppisite direction. any suggestions???
tsubassa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
country flag LawrenceOfTennis
Banned!

LawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond reputeLawrenceOfTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Twist/Kick serve Help!!!

First what grip are you using? Hammer grip or any extreme? Tell me and I will try to help if I can.
LawrenceOfTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

I,ve just learnt a kick serve ( of sorts ) recently . Not really focusing on getting it to bounce to the side yet , just working on getting a big jump on the ball. Il try learn to get it to bounce to the side , but at my level I don,t really think I need a serve that advanced !
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

^ Sounds more like a topspin serve, which can be generated by swinging up and to the right so as to brush up on the ball.

A kick serve can be done by brushing "around" the ball. The best analogy I was taught was to carve the ball like you're "peeling an orange". This emphasizes coming around the ball in order to achieve the right spin.

The next step is to work on the toss, which should, ideally, bounce just behind the shoulder of the arm that tosses the ball.

Honestly speaking, though, I abandoned my kick serve back in high school. I had/have a much better handle on my topspin serve, and I can actually be quite effective with it.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I don't bother with kick serves. Just use a simple topspin serve. It doesn't jump much, but gets the job done allowing me to bring my big weapons into play early on on a rally.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
^ Sounds more like a topspin serve, which can be generated by swinging up and to the right so as to brush up on the ball.

A kick serve can be done by brushing "around" the ball. The best analogy I was taught was to carve the ball like you're "peeling an orange". This emphasizes coming around the ball in order to achieve the right spin.

The next step is to work on the toss, which should, ideally, bounce just behind the shoulder of the arm that tosses the ball.

Honestly speaking, though, I abandoned my kick serve back in high school. I had/have a much better handle on my topspin serve, and I can actually be quite effective with it.
I can do a topspin serve already. My kick serve definetly bounces much higher than my topspin serve bounces high enough to make everyone I play uncomfortable . Happy with it for now and il work on getting it to bounce to the side in the new year . It,s still been affective .
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:

Il work on getting it to bounce to the side but I am happy with the high bounce . I already have a good topspin serve that,s very fast.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

But that's the thing... You said you hadn't yet focused on getting the ball to kick out in a change of trajectory, which is what a kick serve is. Making the ball to accelerate after the bounce isn't the same thing. It's essentially a (very good) topspin serve.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #9

ow well i though it bouncing in the oposite direction was american twist ? i thought that was different from kick . well i will work on it ! nothing else i can do but work on it. I am guessing brushing to the side more is the best way to start getting it to go off to the side.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
country flag DavidRees

DavidRees is on a distinguished road

Try taking you legs out of it while you practice. I find that having my players get down on one knee will not only develop good tossing skills but will get them to develop the proper feel for the technique without trying to go too big. Think of trying to hit up on the ball while trying to have the raquet wrap around the ball on contact

Usually, players are trying to hit too hard on the serve instead of working on racquet head speed which is what adds pace and spin to the ball. The more pace you use the more spin you need. I like to teach my players to think of driving a stick shift, You need just the right amount of clutch and gas to make the car go smoothly. Also, when practicing try to do a count of 1 - 2 - 3 in your head.

On 1 toss the ball to about twelve o'Clock for kicker or topspin
On 2 you should be in trophy position
on 3 you hit.

This cadence will not only relax you but make your serve much more consistent.

Good luck
1111 Ritz-Carlton Drive, Sarasota
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #11

Quote:
But that's the thing... You said you hadn't yet focused on getting the ball to kick out in a change of trajectory, which is what a kick serve is. Making the ball to accelerate after the bounce isn't the same thing. It's essentially a (very good) topspin serve.
I am sure that,s American Twist !
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Djoker View Post
ow well i though it bouncing in the oposite direction was american twist ? i thought that was different from kick . well i will work on it ! nothing else i can do but work on it. I am guessing brushing to the side more is the best way to start getting it to go off to the side.
It is all semantics anyways, no one can agree for some of these terms.

However, from what I've grown up on. Kick serve is a generic term referring to any serve that uses at least some topspin. A topspin serve meant a serve that merely used topspin with just straight up brushing of the ball. While a twist/American-twist serve was with the opposite kick (coming in as a slice then kicking the opposite way when landing).

Anyways, the only way to develop it, is just like with any serve, you want to take it from the very first step: contact.

The drills we used to do at the tennis academy I was in, was to stand very close to the net and hold your racket closer to the head in order to have complete control over the head of the racket. From that point, you just concentrate on trying to make the ball spin while not trying to add any power or whatever. After a while, you'll find the right sweet point in brushing around the back of the ball and slowly you can little by little start serving further from the net while gripping the racket further away from the head. Twist serve definitely very tough to get the right since you are brushing the ball in an awkward way, but certainly a strong serve against poor players or those that don't expect it. However, like with many kick serves, if it isn't hit or placed right, good players will demolish it, which is why I stuck with slice second serves throughout most of my junior career.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
country flag itsmeagain

itsmeagain is on a distinguished road

Ive seen some people with a serve that kicks a good 3 feet after it lands. It rises very high and was really tricky to deal with even though it was slow.

I hit the ball between 7-8 o clock from an overhead toss - but i dont get half the kick of other people.
itsmeagain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #14

I seem to be getting a better kick now . I can get it to bounce to the side now . I can only manage getting it to bounce out to the right thought ! ( I am left handed ) . After starting to work on my back in the gym I am definetly starting to get a much better kick ( jump) whatever you want to call it , on my kick serve . I am starting underneath the ball and brushing up and over the top. ( same as a forehand )
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
country flag cmarshall7

cmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond repute

Take the legs out of your serve to begin with.
Get the ball toss over the left shoulder if you're are right hander.
Practice dropping the racquet behind your head and brushing the back of your hair with the racquet and coming over the ball.
Allow your back to arch and push out your front left hip.
Your finish needs to be on the same side as your arm, this will feel weird, but if you can brush in that motion you'll get more topspin on your shot and will allow you to kick the ball out in the opposite direction. Keeping this finish will help wit that outwards kick.
It's hard to explain without being next to you watching you serve as there are so many technicalities but this should hopefully help
cmarshall7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote