Where does the best food come from? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which country produces the best food?

Italy 27 36.99%
France 13 17.81%
United States 5 6.85%
Other (Please Specify) 28 38.36%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #106
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where does the best food come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
You're nuts. It's called "kettle corn" and you have to try it to understand . Do it this way:

Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until a couple test kernels pop, then dump in 1/4 cup of sugar and stir it around until it is mostly melted. Add a layer of popcorn kernels to the bottom of the pan and pop them with a lid on. Pour into a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and you're good to go.

The result is delicious popcorn with a very light crisp layer of hardened sugar around each piece. Amazing stuff.
Is it just me or US recipes often involve some sort of caramelization? I'm no health freak, but sometimes it seems a bit too much
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #107
country flag the biscuit

the biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond reputethe biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

1) Greek. I'd eat it every day if it wasn't so greasy. After coming back from a Greek restaurant, I always have to go lay down a bit.
2) Belgian French techniques but with local products. Also big portions.

The USA being included in that poll is a joke.
the biscuit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #108
country flag Sofonda Cox
Banned!

Sofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
England.
So true
Sofonda Cox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #109
country flag Seingeist

Seingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond reputeSeingeist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Is it just me or US recipes often involve some sort of caramelization? I'm no health freak, but sometimes it seems a bit too much
I don't eat it every day.

I intersperse my sugar-caramelized snacks with a healthy balance of McDonald's and potato chips.

Quote:
The USA being included in that poll is a joke.
Is it though? Have you eaten at very many American four-star restaurants? Are you quite familiar with the "haute cuisine" scene in the States? Does a bevy of world-renowned chefs strike you as laughable?
Seingeist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #110
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seingeist View Post
Is it though? Have you eaten at very many American four-star restaurants? Are you quite familiar with the "haute cuisine" scene in the States? Does a bevy of world-renowned chefs strike you as laughable?
Yeah I think people are interpreting the question a bit differently.

One can interpret it as: Which national cuisine is best? Or where are the best chefs/restaurants in the world?

Traditional american cuisine in itself isn't really something that people equate with good food, though the "new American" cuisine with it's French influences has redeemed it lately. Of course, the US is such a big country so you can have the fishermen's cuisine in Alaska, the barbeque in the Midwest and then the Kreole cooking in Lousiana... tough to combine them all under the same flag!

However, having been to New York a few times and having eaten at a few very nice restaurants (Michael Keller's per se for example) I can vouch for the level of the food wholeheartedly . Since I'm also a big burger fan, I always have the option of indulging in an unhealthy burger once in a while .

Meanwhile, if were talking about cities, I believe Tokyo is the city with the most Michelin star restaurants (love Japanese cuisine as well).
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #111
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to which national cuisine I prefer, I'd have to say Italy has taken my heart . Great, simple flavors and pure ingredients. The pasta in Italy is out of this world
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #112
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Im grateful that California has alot of asian food and other cultural foods
Old 12-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #113
country flag Soliloque

Soliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloque has a reputation beyond repute

France. By far.

Career Grand Slam - 64 titles - Olympic Gold Medalist - World Number One - Record 27 Masters 1000 Wins - 4 Davis Cups

Record of 9 Slams in a Single Slam - 10 consecutive years winning Slams - First Player to win 3 Slams on 3 different surfaces the same year
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #114
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

I'm French, but imo it's China by very far ... which is not even in the poll although being widely reputed

My wife is Chinese then I can go to eat in various places there, not only tourist-specialized places, and Chinese food is extraordinary in my eyes.

Especially the variety is much higher than for French food (which I love : I'm French and always try to eat in restaurants with 3 stars in the Michelin guide ) and all other countries I know. Except that a huge miss is desserts and wine of course (and cheese) but still, the variety is overall much higher in China than in France.

Vietnamese food is also great, but the difference is that it would be one of the best regions for Chinese food if Vietnam was part of China (I spent a very short time in Thailand but I had the impression that the food there was also great),

but China has so many regions with different kinds of food, and in big cities you have restaurants from all regions of China, which makes that you can enjoy such a variety

And also in China, you don't need to go to very expensive restaurants to enjoy great food, in France the basic food is not that great although my mother is a very good cooker and creates many dishes herself

I think it's hard to judge if one hasn't been to China, because unfortunately it's hard to find restaurants of such quality for Chinese food in France. Maybe in countries with a larger Chinese community it's easier.

Anyway, from what I heard, China and France are well-known for how important cooking is in their culture, and I think it's true : in both countries people love to talk about food

And I think that the culture of cooking is usually small in the western world comparing to Asia, hence I think that people who mostly speak of western food really miss something.

Last edited by duong : 12-11-2012 at 01:30 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #115
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Japanese and French food are great, I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #116
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Spain and especially sea food
64 Titles | 27 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 139 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 699 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote