Is Murray better liked in America than Britain? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think, especially at the O2 Final?

It's normal for Fed to be cheered/Murray jeered, same would happen to Nadal/Djoko at home 8 25.00%
The English still don't give Murray credit, and might never do, even to the point of booing him 18 56.25%
Americans and Aussies are just generally more friendly, fair people 1 3.13%
I didn't watch the match/don't know/don't care 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #106
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

I should also add that I attended the Novak-Andy WTF match and the crowd were very very pro-Murray and even though he lost gave him a massive round of applause. All through the match people were screaming his name. It was electric.

http://www.thetennisreview.com/roger...r-and-against/
Federer, the US Open 2014 and Slam No.18- The Case For and Against
fluffyyelloballz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #107
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Let's put it this way, in the final the crowd was no different with their love for Federer. Bigger cheers for him than Nole, and no booing when Fed got frustrated. Nole on the other hand, was boo'd when he booted the ball away in frustration and I seem to remember the crowd booing some errors of his or something like that. Nothing to really read into because the crowd love Murray whenever else he plays in the UK, even against Fed.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #108
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Let's put it this way, in the final the crowd was no different with their love for Federer. Bigger cheers for him than Nole, and no booing when Fed got frustrated. Nole on the other hand, was boo'd when he booted the ball away in frustration and I seem to remember the crowd booing some errors of his or something like that. Nothing to really read into because the crowd love Murray whenever else he plays in the UK, even against Fed.
I think Fed's status is so high he is almost beyond being booed. Djoko still has a few years to go before that. And with Murray, he really needs to still prove all the tantrums are in his past like Federer did. I think the longest gap between tantrums is a few months max.

http://www.thetennisreview.com/roger...r-and-against/
Federer, the US Open 2014 and Slam No.18- The Case For and Against
fluffyyelloballz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #109
country flag Fed=ATPTourkilla

Fed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond repute

I was at Wimbledon this year and Murray had a lot of support from the English. The impression I get is that the English haven't really warmed to him but the Wimbledon crowd are very 'proper' in their behaviour and will always cheer the British player. The O2 crowd is completely different. Partly because there were a lot of Swiss in the crowd but also I think because there were a lot of brash City types who are more than ready to boo a player they don't like. Not at all like the posh/ very polite Wimbledon crowds.
Fed=ATPTourkilla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #110
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Federer had scattered boos back in the 2005 US Open after he said to the crowd that the US finally had US semifinalists.

He also got booed in other matches, like when he whined at an umpire for the Simon match.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #111
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
Federer had scattered boos back in the 2005 US Open after he said to the crowd that the US finally had US semifinalists.

He also got booed in other matches, like when he whined at an umpire for the Simon match.

And not for the first time...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #112
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Think the support he gets in the US,is due to him being the under dog out of the top 3,Americans feels sentimental towards the Brits..And he does gets a lot of home support as well,at WimbledonThat night he was playing against Fed Who always gets cheered bo matter where he plays.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #113
country flag delboy

delboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm English and most english ppl here don't give a shit about this clown. I do but I am the minority. Tennis here is a small sport.
delboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #114
country flag johnny tsunami

johnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond repute

Andy has so much support just for being British. He would really be hated if he wasn't from there. But yes as noleta pointed out, America likes murray for the most part because of a strong sentiment to Britain. Also we love an underdog...
johnny tsunami is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #115
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

I think Murray's problem is that he produces indifference more than anything most people might not cheer for him nor do they cheer against him, this makes him less marketable than he should be!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #116
country flag navy75

navy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond reputenavy75 has a reputation beyond repute

In short, yes. I have seen Andy get excellent support at many stops throughout the US, much more so than he would in the UK. Andy used to say that the USO was his favorite slam, and he seems to fit in well stateside.

America still sort of looks up to the UK in many ways, and people in the States consider Brits to be elegant. This can be seen by the huge influence that the UK has on American entertainment. To be honest, Americans by and large are very uncultured, and I think that many Americans would not find the UK as ideolic as they would like to believe. Just like the younger generation in the US, it seems like all younger Brits are all about themselves and obsessed with acting "gangsta" as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett
This is about the 4th post you've made today.
navy75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #117
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond reputethegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he is Scottish right? Not surprised.

Nishikori, Berankis, Raonic, Kuznetsov, Dimitrov

thegreendestiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #118
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny- the poll is unequivocal, but most of the comments are from people disagreeing with the majority view in the poll.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #119
country flag Arhaych

Arhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond reputeArhaych has a reputation beyond repute

''People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to shit money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks?''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...le-just-normal

The fact that Murray is awkward in front of the cameras, and refuses to engage in 'improving at PR' is one of the main reasons I like him. No cringeworthy 'please love me' antics like Djokovic, just a normal bloke with a fantastic talent.
Arhaych is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #120
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhaych View Post
''People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to shit money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks?''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...le-just-normal

The fact that Murray is awkward in front of the cameras, and refuses to engage in 'improving at PR' is one of the main reasons I like him. No cringeworthy 'please love me' antics like Djokovic, just a normal bloke with a fantastic talent.
Couldn't of put it better myself.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote