Bernard Tomic SLAMMED by Rafter, Masur - may be left out of Davis Cup - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #136
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard Tomic SLAMMED by Rafter, Masur - may be left out of Davis Cup

Tomic keeps coming out with ridiculously arrogant statements, gets laughed at, then proves nothing.

How about he sets himself a goal like winning a 250 event, cracking the top 20 (you know, a reasonable goal for a "talented" 20-year-old) then he might gain some respect.

No one likes an arrogant moron, except arrogant morons themselves.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #137
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard Tomic SLAMMED by Rafter, Masur - may be left out of Davis Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
at least there's one voice among all of those who talked in the Australian tennis establishment who says something a little bit different (I got the link thanks to Australian contributors in the "players forum" section ) :

Paul McNamee slams TA for punishing Bernard Tomic
by: Dan Koch
December 07, 2012 12:00AM

FORMER Davis Cup winner Paul McNamee has blasted Tennis Australia for its "public vilification" of young gun Bernard Tomic, warning it risks alienating the country's best young talent as it did with Mark Philippoussis and Jelena Dokic.

After much speculation, it was confirmed yesterday that Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter would not select Tomic for the February tie against Chinese Taipei.

And TA is also set to cut its support funding for the 20-year-old due to his poor attitude on and off the court.

The news was met with howls of approval from tennis luminaries past and present. Australia's No 1 female player and grand slam winner, Sam Stosur, voiced the thoughts of many when she urged her fellow Gold Coaster to "grow up".

McNamee, however, said he had been left perplexed by the "bludgeoning" approach of the authorities, adamant there had to be better ways to handle these situations.

"The most disappointing thing from my perspective is the public way (TA) have gone about things. To my way of thinking, that approach isn't helpful for either part, but particularly so for Bernard," McNamee told The Australian.

"The whole timing of it seems strange to me, too. We are right on the brink of a new Australian summer, but the actual Davis Cup tie is still a couple of months away. I mean, why now? And what do they actually hope this will achieve other than ostracising Bernard further and tarnishing a kid's name.

"He is 20. Surely there is a better way, but (TA) don't seem to have any other approach . . I believe they have really hurt our Davis Cup team at a time when we aren't exactly enjoying a huge amount of success."

McNamee was dismissive of TA boss Craig Tiley's justification for the punishment, which included the fact that Tomic's ranking had slipped from 27 to 52, putting him three places behind Marinko Matosevic.

"Let's not kid ourselves, Bernard is our best player and is our best talent by some margin," McNamee said.

"If we are looking at Davis Cup performances, Bernard has actually won his match on the opening day of each of our last two major ties. He has done his job there.

"No one is denying he has had his issues, but surely we can find a way to better nurture him and support his development as both a player and a man than just cutting him completely. To me, that is a flawed strategy.

"It didn't work with Dokic. It didn't work with Philippoussis. It won't work here."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226531605516

Preach it, Mac

I've been saying this all along.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #138
country flag fifthsetshootout

fifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond reputefifthsetshootout has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dmitry Verdasco, or rather, Paul McNamee's stance on the Tomic-Tennis Australia conflict.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think there are a fair number of Aussie fans who despise Tomic. It's like this weird self-hating thing they have going on with him. Some of the greatest vitriol directed at Tomic seems to come from the Aussies themselves. Americans, on the other hand, seem to have the opposite problem. They think everything their player does is correct (see: Roddick, Harrison, Fish, etc).

I think McNamee does a great job speaking to the heart of the matter. Bernie's got problems, but Tennis Australia aren't helping him (nor are they helping themselves) by publicly hanging him out to dry. At best, it's a vindictive, petty play. Furthermore, as McNamee notes, Australia isn't exactly flush with bright young talent right now. Things may change in the next few years, but for now, Tomic and Matosevic are the best bets. Rafter is not in a position to go cherry-picking. He has to work with what he's got, make lemonade from lemons, etc.
fifthsetshootout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #139
country flag Consigliere

Consigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthsetshootout View Post
I agree with Dmitry Verdasco, or rather, Paul McNamee's stance on the Tomic-Tennis Australia conflict.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think there are a fair number of Aussie fans who despise Tomic. It's like this weird self-hating thing they have going on with him. Some of the greatest vitriol directed at Tomic seems to come from the Aussies themselves. Americans, on the other hand, seem to have the opposite problem. They think everything their player does is correct (see: Roddick, Harrison, Fish, etc).

I think McNamee does a great job speaking to the heart of the matter. Bernie's got problems, but Tennis Australia aren't helping him (nor are they helping themselves) by publicly hanging him out to dry. At best, it's a vindictive, petty play. Furthermore, as McNamee notes, Australia isn't exactly flush with bright young talent right now. Things may change in the next few years, but for now, Tomic and Matosevic are the best bets. Rafter is not in a position to go cherry-picking. He has to work with what he's got, make lemonade from lemons, etc.
Aussies don't like it if you get too big for your britches, it's the culture I guess. Hasn't stopped people from achieving in the past.

Also the country has the most promising young player in the world who is a great example to younguns in terms of attitude, Ashleigh Barty.
Consigliere is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #140
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
Aussies don't like it if you get too big for your britches, it's the culture I guess. Hasn't stopped people from achieving in the past.

Also the country has the most promising young player in the world who is a great example to younguns in terms of attitude, Ashleigh Barty.
Please. She's never even won a set in WTA yet, maindraw OR quallies. Bad comparison.

But another example of Tennis Australia parading around like they've achieved something (in Barty) and really she should be completely unknown to everyone because she's done very very little.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #141
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

There have been other players from other countries who aren't that interested in playing the Davis Cup so I see no reason to make it such a big deal with Tomic!

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote