Psychological Help and Self Help Thread. Come on in. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #61
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Psychological Help and Self Help Thread. Come on in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Ah, mate, I appreciate your opinion. Your thoughts are well thought out and lucid, helpful, and said in a friendly, agreeable tone.

And the thing is, I can't settle for that. If I am going to be in tennis, I need to be the greatest. I cannot be happy being a linesperson, I cannot be happy being the guy giving lessons to 40 year old housewives. I've worked at more than one tennis shop, I can't just sit there and watch people play all day while I'm there lusting for the game in the pro shop. I cannot be happy not being the best. When I am among tennis folk, when I am discussing, I feel as though they don't respect my opinion because they've coached this guy and that guy and this other guy used to train with so and so and I haven't. When this happens, and it does often, the feeling I get when confronted with this, a fire explodes in my eyes and passion runs through my blood to prove them wrong.

Nothing else in life gives me this same rush, and trust me, I've looked around.

Millions of guys have called it quits cause of injury, but I won't, and I can't. I've tried it even, come up with every excuse, but I couldn't live with myself, couldn't look at myself in the mirror knowing that I could still play and not giving it a shot.
I understand your train of thought here. Like your passion for the game and the desire to be the best is a great quality. You have to watch out that it doesn't destroy your arm though. Listen to your doctors, or at the very least to your body. I am also a person who has always played through injuries (albeit not as severe as yours) and I can tell you, at 30, you will start noticing them outside of the tenniscourt aswell..

Because I recognize, and applaud your stubbornness in this, I know that telling you to stop won't help. My advise would be to have a long, serious talk with a doctor about this. Ask him what are your chances of damaging your shoulder for good, and your chances of being able to play free-of-injury. Base your decision on this. Even though I like fighters who don't give up, there is honour in knowing when to quit too. I'd hate to see you permanently injured.

Good luck mate, I really hope you will be able to play!
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #62
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
I am convinced that all jobs suck, of course none are as bad as mine. I think about quitting every single day. I've been there too long, it requires no skill, totally wastes my abilities and I peaked at the job unless I want to be in a supervisory position but I'd rather kill myself than be a supervisor at my job. The only possible benefit of being supervisor at my job would be that it would transform me into a tyrant and I've always wanted to try my hand at tyranny.

If it's any consolation, that final sentence is one of the best I've ever read on a forum. Or anywhere really
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #63
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
If it's any consolation, that final sentence is one of the best I've ever read on a forum. Or anywhere really
It most certainly is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #64
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

well be sure to let us know how tyranny works out for you if you do indeed go down that path.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #65
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjhb View Post
This past year has probably been the worst of my life. I will be glad when 2012 draws to a close to be quite honest.

My aunt, who I was close to, got diagnosed with a terminal illness in October of last year and died in February. In the meantime, my mum went into a serious depression (combined with alcoholism), ended up ranting at me for hours upon end on a nightly basis, and there were several unsuccessful suicide attempts on her part. I didn't speak to anyone about it until recently and just let it bottle up - it's something I've done all my life.

As a result, I experienced a huge loss of self-esteem, my diet went out the window completely and I ballooned in weight. There were days in which I didn't get out of bed, and weeks in which I didn't leave the house. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Thus, the relationship with my ex-girlfriend deteriorated to a point in which I couldn't commit to her as I was such an emotional wreck and would have just brought her down. Now she's with someone else.

Funnily enough, though, her leaving me to shack up with someone else has been the trigger to sort my life out. The past 6 weeks, I've gotten my life back on track - joined the gym, regular exercise, improved my diet, and a bit of retail therapy. I've lost 7kg in the past month and feel 10000% better and I feel like I can start a conversation with anyone which is something I haven't been able to do for a while now. This is particularly useful for meeting new people, as most of my old friends have either moved away or are married/in a LTR which means I barely get to see them at all.

I have no idea whether my ex will come crawling back, but honestly I'm not entirely bothered, as I have to look after myself first and foremost.
Major hugs to you. I can relate to having someone diagnosed with a terminal illness. The first ten months of my 2012 have been horrendous too (though not to the same extent as yours) but I finally feel like I'm in a good place in my life for the most part (insofar as things are within my control, anyway). I'm glad you're picking yourself up and getting things together. 2013 will be a better year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
I am convinced that all jobs suck, of course none are as bad as mine. I think about quitting every single day. I've been there too long, it requires no skill, totally wastes my abilities and I peaked at the job unless I want to be in a supervisory position but I'd rather kill myself than be a supervisor at my job. The only possible benefit of being supervisor at my job would be that it would transform me into a tyrant and I've always wanted to try my hand at tyranny.
What do you do?

I totally hated the two jobs that I had over the past couple of years for different reasons. I thought about quitting every day too and when I finally quit, it was awesome. Maybe you should quit too.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #66
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

This is an example of a good thread . People throwing out some good advice as well as good energy.

Btw update for my Psychological career. Looks like I may do an intern for suicide prevention

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #67
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

I had to resist the urge to be a clown but I shudder when I think that some people put too much stock in the opinions of strangers on the internet. The results can be tragic sometimes, where a young person is egged on by a troll, and is pushed over the edge.

Please people, find friends and family to confide in (even a bartender is ok cause at least you can see him face to face), and treat the internet like you would jerry springer.

If you're hurting, my heart goes out to you.
is there nothing?  Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal
certainly win Roger? Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)
Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Click for Jacko & Bubble-Rod => http://postimg.org/image/tvdauba7z/
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #68
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a brief update.

I resolved my issues and let go of all my emotional baggage towards the end of last year. As for the ex, I told her that I was moving on for good.

I haven't felt this happy and positive for years, if ever.

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #69
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjhb View Post
Well, a brief update.

I resolved my issues and let go of all my emotional baggage towards the end of last year. As for the ex, I told her that I was moving on for good.

I haven't felt this happy and positive for years, if ever.
good to hear mate!
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #70
country flag tennisprince

tennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like a terrific idea, im new to this forum but this might be one that could be good to post in
tennisprince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #71
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisprince View Post
This sounds like a terrific idea, im new to this forum but this might be one that could be good to post in
It's not too late!

Giving this a bump after the new year

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #72
country flag Kowchi

Another bump. I've been hustling in the Psychological Department at my school and have learned a lot!

Recently I did a case study to see if our Online Personality via Facebook, is as accurate as our real life Personality. Very interesting stuff.

But, Go on ahead, anybody have anything going on in their lives?

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #73
country flag Kowchi

Wanted to do a quick reflection on my grandparents. I feel reflections are a good way to ease emotional tension and uncertainty.

Dedication can be difficult thing for some people. Yet my grandparents are both 93 and have been married for 70 years. Together they have done so much and now have become a single entity. While their health declines rapidly and day to day functions such as going to the bathroom become harder, they still seem stronger than ever. They take heart to the simple things in life, such as family presence. While I was busy writing papers and stressing out, they were anxiously waiting my visit. It was amazing to see that my stress over papers is dwarfed by the stress they have over not seeing people. Just talking to them and listening to their stories brought immense happiness that cannot be described in words. Even bringing over their vitamins and a few bananas brought immense happiness to their lives.

With that said, I think it is important to not forget the simpler things in life and show a little appreciation for them. Take time to appreciate that you can bathroom and function normally without the use of weird medicine. Sometimes it is easy to overlook the simple, yet the simple is what makes life work and keeps us happy .

Try to show a little appreciation this week, say thank you to someone and or just take note of your surroundings; you may find you will have a happier week

If anyone else has something to share go on ahead. I'll listen.

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #74
country flag miura88

miura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond reputemiura88 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother ran out on me before I was born.