If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal... - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 12-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #226
country flag se7en
Registered User
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 470
se7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Have you guys noticed that Nole, lately, is using one hand BH more and more often? It's usually when his on the stretch, but also in regular rallies. I didn't want to open a new thread and this place seems like a good one to talk about it as everyone is bored
You should open a new thread for this, so we can disect further how this OHBH has improved his horrendous slice in my opinion.
se7en is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #227
country flag se7en
Registered User
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 470
se7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
It's not beating Federer that is impressive.
It's beating the top 3 players in 1 tourney
and beating them in all Slams (with no injured players).
Fed never did these things.

Federer is mediocre in 5 setters.
Djoker is outstanding in 5 setters and finals vs. multiple
champions who've won Masters Series & at least a Slam.
In the last 4 years, many top 10 opponents are better because they've beaten the
Slam champs.
Is this clown for real?
se7en is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #228
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 265
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
No it is not.
Yes, it is.

Quote:
My ex was a professional hooker for a long time but she weren't no expert on human biology. She even gave a crap blow job.
What a stupid comparison. Can you explain why is it comparable with Sampras being expert on tennis because he was a top professional player for a long time?

Quote:
Point is, you can be good at doing something without being good at talking about it. You can "know" how to do something as in being able to do it, without being able to explain how you do it, or knowing anything about anybody else who can do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Not necessarily. Maradona was the best football player ever and he was a disaster as a coach and anything he says about the sport is bullshit 90% of the time.
If you are not good at talking about tennis it does not mean that you are not very knowledgeable about tennis.

Last edited by 5555 : 12-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #229
country flag Han Solo
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 37
Posts: 1,711
Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Your opinion is irrelevant because you are not a tennis expert. Sampras said Djokovic will probably reach double digits at the slams http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...nis/57339052/1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
If you are not good at talking about tennis it does not mean that you are not very knowledgeable about tennis.
Yes, but your original point (see above) was that we should respect what people like Sampras SAY ("Sampras said...") over and above what posters like Roy Emerson say. That's talking about tennis, right?

So are you SAYING that maybe Sampras isn't that good "at talking about tennis"?

Either way, I'm confused. Might be because your argument is shit. I dunno.
Han Solo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #230
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 265
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Yes, but your original point (see above) was that we should respect what people like Sampras SAY ("Sampras said...") over and above what posters like Roy Emerson say. That's talking about tennis, right?

So are you SAYING that maybe Sampras isn't that good "at talking about tennis"?
We know that Sampras is very knowledgeable about tennis beacause he was an top professional player for a long time. What do we know about the poster Roy Emerson?

I'm very interested what is going to be your answer...
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #231
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,841
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
If you are not good at talking about tennis it does not mean that you are not very knowledgeable about tennis.
True. But the argument here is physically knowing 'how' to do something and an having an understanding of how what you're doing works are two different things. I can tie my shoe laces very fast, and have been doing this nearly my whole life. Do I have any knowledge about shoelace tieing? No. If someone asked me how best to tie their shoelaces I would have no idea what to say to them.

Sampras is an 'expert' at playing tennis. That doesn't mean he knows anything about tennis history or understanding statistical trends, or dealing with a myriad of unknown variables. It doesn't even mean he follows tennis currently! If I wanted an expert on those things I would probably ask a professional gambler, who makes a living making predictions, not hitting the ball over the other side of the net.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #232
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 32,744
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
True. But the argument here is physically knowing 'how' to do something and an having an understanding of how what you're doing works are two different things. I can tie my shoe laces very fast, and have been doing this nearly my whole life. Do I have any knowledge about shoelace tieing? No. If someone asked me how best to tie their shoelaces I would have no idea what to say to them.

Sampras is an 'expert' at playing tennis. That doesn't mean he knows anything about tennis history or understanding statistical trends, or dealing with a myriad of unknown variables. It doesn't even mean he follows tennis currently! If I wanted an expert on those things I would probably ask a professional gambler, who makes a living making predictions, not hitting the ball over the other side of the net.
That would be a rather interesting addition to an otherwise stale debate, if someone could inform us what odds bookies now give to those who want to bet for 10 or more slams for Djokovic.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #233
heya
Banned!
 
heya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,586
heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

The fact that Agassi & McEnroe declared Federer the best ever just proved that these former players will never be experts.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #234
country flag se7en
Registered User
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 470
se7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Oh No! You just woke up from another Federrah-filled nightmares again??? Why give no respite this granma huh?
se7en is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #235
country flag Orangeball
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 177
Orangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
The fact that Agassi & McEnroe declared Federer the best ever just proved that these former players will never be experts.
I agree
Orangeball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #236
country flag streetballdude
Registered User
 
streetballdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Plastic Beach
Posts: 728
streetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond reputestreetballdude has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Have you guys noticed that Nole, lately, is using one hand BH more and more often? It's usually when his on the stretch, but also in regular rallies. I didn't want to open a new thread and this place seems like a good one to talk about it as everyone is bored
Like this one? (11:05)
streetballdude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #237
country flag Alex999
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 9,202
Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetballdude View Post
yes, that's a good one. there are many more, it's just so hard to dig them. my memory is not that great, I need to remember the match, and then find it on you tube etc. but thanks.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #238
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 265
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
True. But the argument here is physically knowing 'how' to do something and an having an understanding of how what you're doing works are two different things. I can tie my shoe laces very fast, and have been doing this nearly my whole life. Do I have any knowledge about shoelace tieing? No. If someone asked me how best to tie their shoelaces I would have no idea what to say to them.

Sampras is an 'expert' at playing tennis. That doesn't mean he knows anything about tennis history or understanding statistical trends, or dealing with a myriad of unknown variables.
"knowledge
noun
[mass noun]1facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject:
"
http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/knowledge

Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. Tennis expert is a person who is very knowledgeable about tennis. Therefore, Sampras is an tennis expert.

Quote:
It doesn't even mean he follows tennis currently!
He follows tennis currently http://www.tennischannel.com/news/Ne...x?newsid=11764

Quote:
If I wanted an expert on those things I would probably ask a professional gambler, who makes a living making predictions, not hitting the ball over the other side of the net.
But, my point is that every reasonable person will rather believe Sampras than anonymous posters on MTF.

Last edited by 5555 : 12-09-2012 at 02:38 PM.
5555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #239
country flag Singularity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,841
Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
"knowledge
noun
[mass noun]1facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject:
"
http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/knowledge

Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. Tennis expert is a person who is very knowledgeable about tennis. Therefore, Sampras is an tennis expert.
Let me do one.

Pete Sampras has high level practical understanding of tennis. An expert tennis historian/statistician is a person with an extremely detailed knowledge of past tennis matches, who has a proven track record in understanding trends and making accurate predictions of future outcomes. From the fact that Pete Sampras has a high level practical understanding of tennis it does not follow that he is an expert tennis historian/statistician.

Do you disagree with anything in the above reasoning?

Quote:
But, my point is that every reasonable person will rather believe Sampras than anonymous posters on MTF.
Every reasonable person has to decide for themselves what is true or not. Even if you choose to defer to an expert, you're the one that decides what qualifies someone to be an expert, and of course different 'experts' disagree.

Ultimately all experts have is arguments based on facts and data. You should believe someone because their argument is sound, not because they have some magical mantle on their head. In that regard, people on MTF can make sound arguments too, and saying "but you're not an expert" does nothing to invalidate those arguments. Knowledge is a tool that can be used by everyone, not just those sitting atop some high tower throwing down scraps of wisdom to the peasants below.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #240
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 28
Posts: 7,639
Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If Djokovic stays the No. 1 until October, he will overtake Nadal...

Nole has now officially surpassed Jim Courier. Now entering the 59th week as number 1 in his career.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios