Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass? - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #76
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I do think that Agassi's peak level on grass was beyond anything that Roddick, Murray or Djokovic ever produced on the surface. The tennis that he played at Wimbledon in 1995 as he reached the semis and lead Becker by a set and a double break was scarily good, as was his level when he dispatched McEnroe, Krajicek and Rafter in straights sets there.

He was the first player to win Wimbledon from the baseline in the open era (even guys like Courier and Bruguera were coming to the net a lot there), and was making a mockery of the notion that you had to serve-volley to win Wimbledon.
his run in 1992 was scary as well, Agassi had a perfect movement and shots from the baseline for grass. No volley, a poor serve ... and still ... And it was all natural, no preparation for that, just his game naturally.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #77
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
his run in 1992 was scary as well, Agassi had a perfect movement and shots from the baseline for grass. No volley, a poor serve ... and still ... And it was all natural, no preparation for that, just his game naturally.
HIs baseline-game was perfect for the 90´s fast grass. No long backswings and he liked to take the ball so early that having little time didn´t really bother him as much as other baseliners. Great return of serve, too. But like you said, it was all natural to him, it probably would have been nearly impossible to play like that as a result of adaptation, it was just his game.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #78
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Agassi definitely had the best Wimbledon resume over Roddick, Djokovic and Murray. But kind of like Djokovic, depsite the Wimbledon success neither of them have any grass court titles other than that, not even a single final from like Queens. Of course, Queens much less important than Wimbledon, but the thread is after all about grass in general. Agassi has a 50-18 record on grass (73.5%) while Roddick has a 86-22 record on grass (79.6%).

Yes, quality of opponents do somewhat matter, but then again, kind of unfair to Roddick considering that Sampras and Agassi were the only Wimbledon champions to really head into Roddick's generation, while during Agassi's time there were certainly more Wimbledon champions around since there wasn't anyone that dominated Wimbledon prior to Sampras as much as Pete did himself.
Agassi hardly played any grass court tournaments other than Wimbledon, whereas the others did. The only times Agassi played Queens were when he had a short visit at Roland Garros.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #79
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond repute

1.Agassi (his 1992 run alone is enough to distinguish him from the others)
2.Ivanisevic
3.Roddick
4.Murray
5.Djokovic
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #80
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

1. Ivanisevic
2. Agassi
3. Roddick
4. Murray
5. Djokovic
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #81
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

These long-winded posts that say "Goran was sloppy compared to Roddick. Roddick broke Federer's serve! He was quick at net and would be good on 90s fast grass and Roddick lost weight in 2004" are fantastically illogical. The news coverage (if the MTF commenter had any knowledge of it at all) has proven that Roddick only lost weight for a long period of time in 2008.
Stefanki was surprised that he was so slow and that no one told Roddick he needed to lose weight. By '09, it was years too late to win a Slam anywhere.
Jimmy Connors told Tennis Channel "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Some good tournaments in 12 years do not make a fabulous career. Federer's grass career isn't the greatest even if you tout Roddick's injury-riddled career as an impressive one. Nadal & Djokovic wouldn't be
losing the 2004 Wimbledon if they had played Federer.
Roddick couldn't last 4 sets despite having a set & 4-2 lead & then more coaching during rain delays.
His grass draws were easy; that's why he beat the slow servers. Beginning in 2007, when Federer and Roddick faced the better all-surface players, they couldn't dominate the grass matches even when they won the title.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #82
country flag munZe konZa

munZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond reputemunZe konZa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Some people actually like tennis and to discuss it and don't disappear even though their favorites are not playing?
Wanting to talk about tennis is not the same as liking tennis. Talking random stuff is a sign of a bored mind and this forum just feeds into it. This topic which is so random is pure non sense by people who have nothing better to do.
munZe konZa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #83
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Easy

Goran
Andy
Andre
Nole
Mug with no forehand
Stupid fedtard. 10-9 positive win loss against your hero.... shut up son.

1.Agassi
2.Andy
3.Ivanesevic
4.Djokovic
5.Murray

Yes Murray last on the list but I'm not afraid to admit it. Shame the fedtards here cannot be unbias it seems. Let me guess Lestat you probably think Federror is better than Nadal on Clay.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.

Last edited by ProdigyEng : 12-09-2012 at 06:19 PM.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #84
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the Fedhypocrites can stalk others and act outraged because they can't admit they're in love with
Federer. They get upset when you criticize the self-defeatist behavior of Fed's loser opponents. Fedtards have no problem when Fed fans call djokovic & nadal horrible people.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #85
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Stupid fedtard. 10-9 positive win loss against your hero.... shut up son.

1.Goran
2.Andy
3.Djokovic
4.Agassi
5.Murray

Yes Murray last on the list but I'm not afraid to admit it. Shame the fedtards here cannot be unbias it seems. Let me guess Lestat you probably think Federror is better than Nadal on Clay.
Im not a fedtard, poor of you, brat.
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #86
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Im not a fedtard, poor of you, brat.
Looks like it to me. You're the poor one giving Murray stick when he owned your love interest in the Olympics and Shanghai after a devastating loss to him in the Wimbledon final. That 10-9 record Murray holds against fed must be devastating to you mustn't it, and I can't wait till djoker gets a positive w/l vs him too. I don't hate Roger, but idiotic fedfans like you make me less interested in him and make it so I don't love him because I don't want to end up an arrogant tard myself. It's funny how you have that ball basher list yet Murray has a slam and none of those on your ball basher list do.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #87
BIGMARAT

BIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond reputeBIGMARAT has a reputation beyond repute

if you cant win wimbledon, your not great on grass!!! slam win doesnt lie.
BIGMARAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #88
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
With a return as poor as Roddick's, I feel that he'd have struggled to deal with players who not only had cannons for first serves, but also excellent second serves. Couple that with the fact they came in and punished anything less than an excellent return and it would spell disaster for Roddick. This is something that's largely overlooked by MTF. Then there's the fact that Roddick doesn't possess the greatest of passing shots. There's more to fast grass than a big serve.
His return is not as poor, his return is better than the likes of Tsonga and Raonic. He knows how to just put it back in play even in his earlier days. Many experts have said that he would have benefited more than anyone on a faster grass surface and could have won more slams if Wimbledon was faster. ANd Rodick peak when he is attacking is top 10 or even top 10 material, sadly his passiveness is what made his destruction.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #89
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

I am ranking them purely on Wimbledon performance. There is no such grass court season to speak of and quite a few players do not play a warm up preferring just to practise.

1. Ivanisevic: He would likely have won multiple Wimbledon titles had Sampras not been so damn good. He won his sole title as a wild card beating Rafter, the best serve and volleyer in the game. When grass was fast, Goran's serve was the BIG weapon.

2. Roddick: Federer was to Roddick what Sampras was to Goran. Though Roddick did not get his title, his 2009 final performance abstractly rose him to as good as Champion status anyway.

3. Agassi: He won a title and made a final yet still a notch below Roddick for me. He was vastly more experienced than Goran in the 92 final and when he did come up against Sampras in what would be his peak year he was given a masterclass in grass court tennis. It is tight between him and Roddick but in my mind Roddick performed better more often at the Championsips.

It is difficult to rank Djokovic and Murray with the above three players because they have not yet retired. They would both rank below the above three were they to be retired with their careers as they currently stand.

4. Djokovic. The 2011 title seals the deal. He beat Nadal, who was 20 matches unbeaten at Wimbledon. Also made 3 other semis and the quarters once. Has a 39-7 Wimbledon record.

5. Murray. He played a great final this year and played the same number of semis as Novak but Novak's title win gives the Serbian the edge. Has a 37-7 record. One trophy in it.

http://www.thetennisreview.com/roger...r-and-against/
Federer, the US Open 2014 and Slam No.18- The Case For and Against
fluffyyelloballz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #90
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by munZe konZa View Post
Wanting to talk about tennis is not the same as liking tennis. Talking random stuff is a sign of a bored mind and this forum just feeds into it. This topic which is so random is pure non sense by people who have nothing better to do.
I learned more about tennis from this thread than from dozens of random threads posted during the season. Just sayin'.
retister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote