I can be the best player ever: Tomic - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #61
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
... but once again I ask the same to be done about Tomic

... because even if Bernard is the one quoted here, nobody ignores that the words which are blamed here are the exact same words that his father has used about him since he was a child, and also I read enough about Tomic sr to know that he does indeed want to control what is said about his son in the media. I think Tomic sr cares more about those media things than Bernard, because Bernard mostly has one realistic concern : his tennis and life, which are more real than the media.
Well, he does keep going out there and saying wild things. Tomic may still be young, but he's certainly not young in tennis; he's spent nearly 4 full years inside top 500, so I guess he should have some idea how things work by now. His goal for 2012 was finishing in top 10 or in top 20 at the worst. Now that he failed to finish in top 50, his new goal is the be the GOAT. It's almost funny how everything with him is backwards and upside-down.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #62
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic forgot he was an ATP player in that interview
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #63
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1. "I will kick Fed off" I heard that Djokovic said that to sponsors from a source who knew those sponsors, it's maybe wrong but imo, it's coherent with the rest, and I read serious Djokofans like Yolita and a few others applaude the idea that he would have indeed said that.

2. Parents' influence : if one says that it was his parents' influence and didn't really come from Djokovic himself ... and you probably have read that I said that the thing I admire most from Djokovic is the way he distanced himself from his parents
Why is it that in every single thread you seem to bring up these so-called "facts"? Leaving aside this is a thread about Tomic and not your obsession with Novak, these are just rumours and opinions. Your source (who you trust, LOL) could either have made the whole thing up because it fits their agenda or only knows half the story and filled in the rest. We're all aware this is a burning issue for you that you feel the need to relate at every opportunity but try and remember none of this has been even been corroborated by another "trusted source". Even if there was any truth in it, so what? It just shows Novak was ambitious and Federer is known for being a dick to anyone who doesn't kiss his ass so why should he be respectful to Federer? Federer's tantrum about Novak's "lucky shot" at the US Open was far more disrespectful than anything Novak has alleged to have said about him.

As far as Tomic's comments, he's young, being accused of being lazy and in a bit of a slump so he probably feels the needs to come out fighting. He may come across as a bit arrogant but there are many players who have said far worse. I'll never get over how keyboard warriors on forums are so desperate to feel "outraged" by the latest throw-away comment.
Hypnotize is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #64
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Well, he does keep going out there and saying wild things. Tomic may still be young, but he's certainly not young in tennis; he's spent nearly 4 full years inside top 500, so I guess he should have some idea how things work by now. His goal for 2012 was finishing in top 10 or in top 20 at the worst. Now that he failed to finish in top 50, his new goal is the be the GOAT. It's almost funny how everything with him is backwards and upside-down.
1. there's a difference between what one really thinks and what one says in the media : I don't think he believes one word of that "goal", it's just not coherent admitting Goffin's superiority one day and thinking "I will be the best ever" another day, do you think he really believed both ? ;

2. it's just the final sentence in his interview, and it's a copy-paste of his father's words, his father being known for wanting what is said about his son in the media and being the one who has pushced his ambition.

Djokovic managed not to repeat his father's silly thoughts in the media, not everybody can manage the same, as I said Djokovic looks like a very clever guy (besides Tomic's father's presence is much more important than Novak's in his tennis life)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #65
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
Why is it that in every single thread you seem to bring up these so-called "facts"? Leaving aside this is a thread about Tomic and not your obsession with Novak, these are just rumours and opinions. Your source (who you trust, LOL) could either have made the whole thing up because it fits their agenda or only knows half the story and filled in the rest. We're all aware this is a burning issue for you that you feel the need to relate at every opportunity but try and remember none of this has been even been corroborated by another "trusted source". Even if there was any truth in it, so what? It just shows Novak was ambitious and Federer is known for being a dick to anyone who doesn't kiss his ass so why should he be respectful to Federer? Federer's tantrum about Novak's "lucky shot" at the US Open was far more disrespectful than anything Novak has alleged to have said about him.
oh this goes too far ... I just want to explain what I perceive in Tomic's attitude and thought that Djokofans could understand it better than others considering thier history. The fact that a Djokofan opened this thread and that another Djokofan accused me was also the reason why I started that.

Now I'm going to become a Djoko-hater for some , this goes too far, I give up.

At the moment, I'm a little bit irritated by some Djoko-fans, that's the only truth, but not about Djokovic, no : he's a clever and realistic guy

I never blamed Djokovic for those words and even praised him for distancing oneself from one's parents, if you fail to understand that, well

The big problem I see here is that people care too much about the stupidest sentences said in the media, thats' an usual problem in this forum

In reality, I think that MTForumers need much more reality-checks than players ... because players indeed have to deal with hard realities like losing, MTforumers are more about words and media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
As far as Tomic's comments, he's young, being accused of being lazy and in a bit of a slump so he probably feels the needs to come out fighting. He may come across as a bit arrogant but there are many players who have said far worse. I'll never get over how keyboard warriors on forums are so desperate to feel "outraged" by the latest throw-away comment.
ah sorry I had just read the beginning and hadn't realized that actually you were the one mostly agreeing with me here ... on the main important topic.

Last edited by duong : 12-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #66
country flag RafaelNadalisGod
Banned!

RafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond repute

Final Career Statistics: 0 slams 0 finals 0 semis 0 Masters 0 500 0 WTF 0 Olympics 0 Top Ten

That's all you are Bernard, a big ZERO
RafaelNadalisGod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #67
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Did he lie, though?

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #68
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
one more trolling thread : this article had been posted on this forum for long (except that Stosur's words were not detailed but who cares what she says about another guy ?) but by people who had understood that the only important info was that Tomic had not planned to play that DC tie and preferred preparing American tournaments in february.

Leave the kid a break, he has enough problems at the moment, he doesn't really care at the significance of such words
come on duong, relax and join some laugh, Bernie shouldn't mind, being a media personality. He must know by now that he will be roasted for much less pompous things expressed publicly...he is not a kid anymore btw...so no, he won't be given a break That's how it is in the world, although I agree with you in principle, and personally might give "the kid" a break... sort of.

Anyway, Tomic

He is probably a future slam winner, though
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #69
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
come on duong, relax and join some laugh, Bernie shouldn't mind, being a media personality. He must know by now that he will be roasted for much less pompous things expressed publicly...he is not a kid anymore btw...so no, he won't be given a break That's how it is in the world, although I agree with you in principle, and personally might give "the kid" a break... sort of.

Anyway, Tomic

He is probably a future slam winner, though
well, "join some laugh" : maybe that's my problem that I don't manage to have some laugh with those things on MTF

But seriously speaking, as actually it's my real obsession to try to know the "truth" and discuss about it , Bernie's problems in his country are not actually caused by this sentence which can make MTFers gossip a lot, I read many Australian tennis personalities speak in the media but nobody spoke of that.

There's a lot of gossiping about him in the Australian media at the moment, seems to be some pressure for him to drop his father or something.

And actually this sentence in the end of his speech looks like a provocation ... just as Rafter imo quite provoked him by announcing he was suspended from Davis cup and his funds might be cut off by Tennis Australia.

He has much bigger concerns at the moment than the reactions to that sentence.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #70
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

He's already got one of the top 5 backhands on tour, remember, so he's well on his way.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #71
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Well, certainly the best to play the game with a confiscated driver's license.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #72
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

good for bernard. when federer was asked as a teen in a group of fellow teens what he wanted to achieve, he said "get to number 1", whereas all the others just limited themselves to talking about getting to the top 100 and other less achieving goals.

in order to be the best, you have to believe you're the best.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #73
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought you like other Djokofans said that the defying words which Djokovic had in his early carreer were very nice to read and good for the Tour
I am one of those Djokofans who think that Nole's words were good to read and good for the game. But I think there's a big difference between Novak's words and Bernie's. To start with, when Novak said he was taking Roger down, he had already won titles and he was 2 months away from winning his first Masters title at the age of 19. So he had a bit more to back up his claims.

But the reason I think his words were good for the game is that we had witnessed a period in which many ATP players had, by and large, bought the prevailing narrative that Roger was too good. They entered the court waving a white flag. It was not nice to see. You can still see the consequences of that in players of that generation: you'll never see Ferrer play against Federer in the same way he played against Berdych and Stepanek at the Davis Cup final, hence the 0-14 H2H,which doesn't do Ferru justice, really. Surely a top 5 player could have found a way to beat Roger once, when Roger was having a bad day... Once... I'm not saying Roger wouldn't have won everything that he has won, but it would have been nice to see the players make him work a bit harder for his wins, put up a bigger fight, not give up so easily...

To see a young player defy the accepted wisdom was very refreshing to me. To see him win a second masters title, at the age of 20 by beating consecutively the #3, #2 and #1 players just proved that he not only talked the talk, but he also walked the walk. To see him actually take Roger down, the next year in Australia, one year after he had said he would, en route to get his first grand slam title at the age of 20 was exhilarating to watch. And eventually he backed up his words that he would become the #1 player, by... becoming the #1 player.

So I think we can see the difference. Having heart and belief, even being a little delusional at times, can help a player who is prepared to put in all the hard work, in his quest. But when you're not prepared to put in the long hours, then that talk becomes shallow and a little ridiculous...It's a fine line.

Quote:
anyway, I just don't like these blablabla gossipings on a few words. I prefer concentrating on the reality of the game.
I fully agree with this.

And all the Tomic hate makes me laugh, because I remember how many people here jumped on the Tomic bandwagon when he took a set off Novak in Wimbledon, in 2011. Everybody loved Bernie then... he was the best thing since sliced cheese.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #74
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
good for bernard. when federer was asked as a teen in a group of fellow teens what he wanted to achieve, he said "get to number 1", whereas all the others just limited themselves to talking about getting to the top 100 and other less achieving goals.

in order to be the best, you have to believe you're the best.
Of course you need to believe in yourself. But Tomic is not a teen anymore, he should know better than to say things like that in public. That´s the difference, it would be smart to keep a little lower profile in public, even if you have an enormous self-confidence.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #75
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Will bump this thread in 10 years time when Tomic the tank engine has 18 slams

he will remember ya's
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote