I can be the best player ever: Tomic - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #46
country flag BroTree123
Registered User
 
BroTree123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,749
BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

It might be harsh way to put it, but he is a picture of what is wrong with our society these days. I don't get how it's "cool" to be a total mess (eg. hooning, getting wasted, starting fights, saying shit and then having the inability to back it up, etc...).
__________________
Quote:
Hian about himself
Quote:
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #47
country flag duong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,346
duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
duong,
very young Djokovic who already won titles etc. said, at that time, that his goal was to become #1 player in the world. nothing cocky, just showed his ambition and his wish. he trained hard, improved and actually got to #1.

saying you want to be the best player EVER is a completely different thing. It is so narcissistic. and based on what? Tomic said too many silly things btw, this is his last gem. If Tomic said 'I'd like to become #1 in the world' I wouldn't have any problem with it. At least that's something that is measurable. but 'the best player ever', what does that mean? being better than Federer? hope you understand where I'm coming from. Tomic needs to think before he open his mouth, because right now everyone is laughing at him and he is making a making a fool of himself.
precisely these words don't look serious and shouldn't be taken by the letter, that's why I don't like those gossipings on a few words because they usually focus on the least serious things or small mistakes that players say.

Besides, you probably noticed that it was his final sentence like a provokation to the initial provokation which came from the Australian establishment : I can't believe that Australian establishment, after Rafter, Cahill, Rasheed, Newcombe, Woodbridge, Hewitt, now Stosur makes a dissertation on Tomic, really ??

I heard that Gasquet couldn't succeed because of the pressure in France but I never saw all of the "legends" (small ones in my country ) and present players of French tennis all judging him and lecturing him and advicing him in the media just because he didn't reach the hype they had created : I just can't imagine that and never saw that people were disappointed but nobody or hardly anybody lectured him like that ... and he had some common points with Tomic, like a certain deafness in his own world and lack of passion for the game.

"Everyone is laughing at him" : not because of these words but for other reasons, and I don't think these laughs reach him one minute, he's in his own thing, and clearly that's what he has to work about at the moment : his tennis, not his words in the media.

From other things he said, I know that he's a realistic guy, not at all what some think here because of a few provokations in the media. I think it's completely unreasonable taking these provokations by the letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Nole never said anything close to "being the best ever". It's good to have goals, but this is really over the top.
practically, saying "I will kick off Federer at 21 years old" "the king is dead, long live the king" is quite the same ambition as saying "I will be the best ever", the difference is that he used less clownish words, which shows that he did actually believe it more than Tomic does.
__________________
useless old guy

Last edited by duong : 12-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #48
country flag Dougie
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,678
Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny tsunami View Post
hah he's like the charlie sheen of tennis.
Yeah, except Charlie is actually WINNING!!!
Dougie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #49
country flag BackhandDTL
Registered User
 
BackhandDTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 23
Posts: 3,038
BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroTree123 View Post
It might be harsh way to put it, but he is a picture of what is wrong with our society these days. I don't get how it's "cool" to be a total mess (eg. hooning, getting wasted, starting fights, saying shit and then having the inability to back it up, etc...).
If you're speaking in respect to his audience, I think very few people see Tomic's antics as "cool" behavior. Most of us are just so jaded from his constant exposure for all the wrong reasons that it's best perceived as comedies these days.

I don't think anyone is impressed by his childish image, and Tomic has made comments in the past that would suggest that he sees fault in his behavior as well.
BackhandDTL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #50
country flag Jverweij
Registered User
 
Jverweij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 31
Posts: 3,635
Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
precisely these words don't look serious and shouldn't be taken by the letter, that's why I don't like those gossipings on a few words because they usually focus on the least serious things or small mistakes that players say.

Besides, you probably noticed that it was his final sentence like a provokation to the initial provokation which came from the Australian establishment : I can't believe that Australian establishment, after Rafter, Cahill, Rasheed, Newcombe, Woodbridge, Hewitt, now Stosur makes a dissertation on Tomic, really ??

I heard that Gasquet couldn't succeed because of the pressure in France but I never saw all of the "legends" (small ones in my country ) and present players of French tennis all judging him and lecturing him and advicing him in the media just because he didn't reach the hype they had created : I just can't imagine that and never saw that people were disappointed but nobody or hardly anybody lectured him like that ... and he had some common points with Tomic, like a certain deafness in his own world and lack of passion for the game.

"Everyone is laughing at him" : not because of these words but for other reasons, and I don't think these laughs reach him one minute, he's in his own thing, and clearly that's what he has to work about at the moment : his tennis, not his words in the media.
well said Duong, but I find it difficult to know which words to take seriously and which to ignore. This sounds like cherry-picking to me. If he wasn't serious about this, he should clarify this in a statement. A grand talent like Tomic in a tennis-crazed country (with a rich legacy) will be under the microscope. This has its merits, but also its negatives ofcourse.

It is ofcourse a cumulation of incidents with Tomic, and though I applaud your efforts to cut him some slack, the bucket of shit he gets is for a big part of his own making. He's indeed young, and if he goes on to do big things, all this will soon be forgotten. If however he keeps disappointing while at the same time being a brat, this will haunt him, and deservedly so. Humility is what he should show. It is possible to be humble and hungry at the same time.
Jverweij is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #51
country flag Dr. Albans
Registered User
 
Dr. Albans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 97
Dr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Albans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Tomic was drunk again?
__________________
Verdasco-Federer-Andujar-Fognini-Davydenko-Tsonga-Tursunov-Dimitrov
Dr. Albans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #52
country flag Dougie
Registered User
 
Dougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,678
Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
well said Duong, but I find it difficult to know which words to take seriously and which to ignore. This sounds like cherry-picking to me. If he wasn't serious about this, he should clarify this in a statement. A grand talent like Tomic in a tennis-crazed country (with a rich legacy) will be under the microscope. This has its merits, but also its negatives ofcourse.

It is ofcourse a cumulation of incidents with Tomic, and though I applaud your efforts to cut him some slack, the bucket of shit he gets is for a big part of his own making. He's indeed young, and if he goes on to do big things, all this will soon be forgotten. If however he keeps disappointing while at the same time being a brat, this will haunt him, and deservedly so. Humility is what he should show. It is possible to be humble and hungry at the same time.
That is very well said. I have no doubt that guys like Federer and Djokovic have been just as hungry, and willing to be the best players ever. You need that hunger in order to succeed. But you shouldn´t go around saying things like that, it´s one thing to have personal goals and ambitions, but it´s another thing to say "I´m going to be the best ever" when you haven´t even played in a 250-final. That´s just ridicilous.

Of course it´s possible he wasn´t totally serious, but if that´s the case, it only shows he isn´t the sharpest tool in the shed. He is young, but he´s been under a lot of scrutiny for quite a while already, he´s received some advice and even criticism for peole like Hewitt, Rafter, Storur etc. You´d think he´d be pretty cautious in front of the media by now. Obviously he hasn´t learned his lesson yet.
Dougie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #53
country flag Burrow
Registered User
 
Burrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,874
Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by End da Game View Post
he's like safin, except he's about half as talented
When did Safin say anything remotely close to this? Safin was often the opposite.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #54
country flag duong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,346
duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
well said Duong, but I find it difficult to know which words to take seriously and which to ignore. This sounds like cherry-picking to me.
imo that's easy but people just like amplifying the craziest words because it makes good gossiping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
If he wasn't serious about this, he should clarify this in a statement.
this is small media-polemics, he's had more serious polemics in the media recently, and he probably doesn't care about such small things, has to concentrate on his game first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
It is ofcourse a cumulation of incidents with Tomic, and though I applaud your efforts to cut him some slack, the bucket of shit he gets is for a big part of his own making. He's indeed young, and if he goes on to do big things, all this will soon be forgotten. If however he keeps disappointing while at the same time being a brat, this will haunt him, and deservedly so. Humility is what he should show. It is possible to be humble and hungry at the same time.
the word "show" is crucial : humility is what he should be, what he should "show" is another topic and not as important imo, but from some other things he said I had the impression that he was actually a realistic then relatively humble boy (if people want a most speaking example take how he said that Goffin had been better than him in Wimbledon and congratulated him, also the way he said that it was normal what Rafter and Roche told him, and a lot of other things not so directly related gave me that impression ... and anyway the Australian commentators are harsh at him but most of them say that "he's a good boy" ... then not a crazy guy who really thinks he's better than anybody else ; besides his father seems to be the source of these early ambitions but as he showed when he told Cédric Mourier "he's annoying me, please give him a warning to let him keep quiet", he has an independent thinking from his father).
__________________
useless old guy
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #55
country flag nole_no1
Registered User
 
nole_no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 20
Posts: 12,598
nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

PFAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

__________________
CONGRATS RAFAEL NADAL ON YOUR 9TH ROLAND GARROS TITLE OF YOUR CAREER AND THE 5TH IN A ROW

HIST9RY
nole_no1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #56
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 11,198
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
practically, saying "I will kick off Federer at 21 years old" "the king is dead, long live the king" is quite the same ambition as saying "I will be the best ever", the difference is that he used less clownish words, which shows that he did actually believe it more than Tomic does.
He never said that or should he be credited for whatever his parents say? Nice way of twisting facts to fit your theories btw
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #57
country flag duong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,346
duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
He never said that or should he be credited for whatever his parents say?
1. "I will kick Fed off" I heard that Djokovic said that to sponsors from a source who knew those sponsors, it's maybe wrong but imo, it's coherent with the rest, and I read serious Djokofans like Yolita and a few others applaude the idea that he would have indeed said that.

2. Parents' influence : if one says that it was his parents' influence and didn't really come from Djokovic himself ... and you probably have read that I said that the thing I admire most from Djokovic is the way he distanced himself from his parents

... then one should do the same about Tomic imo

... because imo that's the same basic reason for these words : apart from that, Tomic and Djokovic may be different, especially Djokovic looked a more accomplished and clever person to me even at the same age, but they both enough have to deal with the toughness of realities to know what the truth is ... real humility comes from having to deal with such disappointing realities imo, and many people in forums just ignore this "humility from reality" ... which the players they call as "arrogant" know much better than them in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Nice way of twisting facts to fit your theories btw
I don't understand what you mean

and I can tell you that there's something which is deeply wrong about me and which I don't tolerate (even less with a smiley) is that idea that I would be hypocritical and use lies or twist facts to fit my theories : that's a very poor ... and most importantly wrong way to fight my arguments, because actually the truth is that I'm very often wrong but I always try to be objective, even at my own costs, that's the truth of how I am in reality : I will even tell you, I'm so hard at myself that if you see some twisting facts somewhere, I would like you to proove it to me to be able to improve myself ... but I mean really show me
__________________
useless old guy

Last edited by duong : 12-07-2012 at 11:18 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #58
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 11,198
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
1. "I will kick Fed off" I heard that Djokovic said that to sponsors from a source who knew those sponsors, it's maybe wrong but imo, it's coherent with the rest, and I read serious Djokofans like Yolita and a few others applaude the idea that he had indeed said that.
I'd say what he privately said to his sponsors is nobody's business but his and his sponsors'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
and I can tell you that there's something which is deeply wrong about me and which I don't tolerate (even less with a smiley) is that idea that I would be hypocritical and use lies or twist facts to fit my theories : that's a very poor ... and most importantly wrong way to fight my arguments, because actually the truth is that I'm very often wrong but I always try to be objective, even at my own costs, that's the truth of how I am in reality : I will even tel you, I'm so demanding at myself that if you see some twisting facts somewhere, I would like you to proove it to me to be able to improve myself
Tennis parents are not usually known for being the best bunch and quoting Nole's mother as something Nole himself said is a straw man here.
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #59
country flag duong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,346
duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
I'd say what he privately said to his sponsors is nobody's business but his and his sponsors'.
I care about realities more than about what's "shown" in the media which makes so much gossiping in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Tennis parents are not usually known for being the best bunch and quoting Nole's mother as something Nole himself said is a straw man here.
I agree to have that insight, and I think that when I said that Djokovic managed to distance from his parents, I did that (but however what I think is that nobody can't totally escape from one's parents' influence, especially at a young age, being able to escape from that is a great talent but nobody can be totally free from one's parents, that's impossible)

... but once again I ask the same to be done about Tomic

... because even if Bernard is the one quoted here, nobody ignores that the words which are blamed here are the exact same words that his father has used about him since he was a child, and also I read enough about Tomic sr to know that he does indeed want to control what is said about his son in the media. I think Tomic sr cares more about those media things than Bernard, because Bernard mostly has one realistic concern : his tennis and life, which are more real than the media.
__________________
useless old guy

Last edited by duong : 12-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #60
country flag homogenius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 983
homogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

I don't like him but I see nothing wrong whith saying stuff like that.All the big names of today (Fed, Rafa, Nole)grew up thinking the exact same thing or else they wouldn't be there.
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios