Johnny Mac: Fed, Djokovic should let emotions out - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Johnny Mac: Fed, Djokovic should let emotions out

very interesting. I personally prefer both Fed and Nole not showing any emotions and staying cool, winning or losing. Both young Nole and young Fed used to have tantrums, but all of that is gone long time ago. What do you guys think? Emotions or not?

anyway, here is the article. source tennis.com

John McEnroe tells the Daily Telegraph that he’d like to see Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic release their emotions more while playing.

“I think these guys handle themselves unbelievably well,” McEnroe said. “I don’t know how they have this incredible control. I’m not going to sit here and pretend I had the same control they did, and to some degree I wish they’d let it out a bit more. They’ll probably have ulcers when they’re 35. I don’t know how they can shrug it off. Maybe they look at their bank balances at the end of the year and that helps.”

McEnroe added that he now gets along better with his former archrival, Ivan Lendl, who currently coaches Andy Murray.

“It was like when Rocky fought Ivan Drago in Rocky IV – the American versus the machine; to me it felt a bit like that,” McEnroe said. “We definitely saw, and see, things very differently. We can sort of laugh about it now, I think. It’s not the same as then, when we did want to wring each other’s neck.

“I don’t think Ivan’s any different now than he was then. The good thing is that I was good enough not to have to listen to his jokes, whereas other guys felt they had to pay their respects, in a way; there’s a hierarchy in any sport. I’d think, Thank God I don’t have to listen to this! But he still does it now. It’s amazing.”
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Johnny Mac: Fed, Djokovic should let emotions out

I totally and completely agree. Thank Jesus someone is saying that. The emotional aspect of tennis has been so lacking in favor of the smooth, robotic PR machine.

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Fed shows emotions and tells to Nole's parents to " Shut up " and becomes Serbian enemy number 1 . If I am Fed i wouldn't risk that much next time
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Fed is definitely more pissy now than in 04-07 for example.

More often you will hear "Oi!" or grunts of disgust at another shanked backhand, or a yell here or there. And when is "calm", you can even sense on his face that he is fuming underneath.

Djokovic, even in 2011-2012, I am still seeing anger, points of disgust, yelling after missed shots, destroying a bench at the RG final, etc.

Does McEnroe want them to do what he did where every call is a cinema trying to influence the linesperson to change his call? Does Mac want them to berate themselves like Murray? Borg's book, Bjorn says when he was playing, he was calm outer, but he was absolutely destroying things inside.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post

More often you will hear "Oi!" or grunts of disgust at another shanked backhand, or a yell here or there. And when is "calm", you can even sense on his face that he is fuming underneath.

Djokovic, even in 2011-2012, I am still seeing anger, points of disgust, yelling after missed shots, destroying a bench at the RG final, etc.

Does McEnroe want them to do what he did where every call is a cinema trying to influence the linesperson to change his call? Does Mac want them to berate themselves like Murray? Borg's book, Bjorn says when he was playing, he was calm outer, but he was absolutely destroying things inside.
Exactly. It's not like Nole doesn't let his emotions out.
For me as a spectator I prefer to see their emotions, to feel empathy with them and what they're going through. That's one of the reasons I don't connect with Federer as a player. He has a poker face. I don't like that. He hardly ever releases any emotion, though lately as he gets older he seems to let it all out a bit more. That makes him human and more likeable I think.
I get what McEnroe says, but unfortunately controlling your emotions in today's game is vital to have some sort of success as it is such a mental and hard sport. I understand why Nole has controlled himself better, though he was more fun to watch back in 2007-08 when he would explode often or get angry, etc. You still can see a lot of it in some of his matches, though surprisingly not the crucial historic ones. He knows in these kind of matches he needs to show nothing to the rival and control his emotions better.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
in 04-07 period he had reasons for grunting just against Nadal, but between all those animal grunts from Nadal his would pass unspoted and how he was big attention whore he saw no point in doing that
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Such an introvert guy, this Djokovic

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Mugle/Frauderer = No negative attitude = Problem

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but three

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post

Such an introvert guy, this Djokovic
Exactly. I wonder why JMac felt the need to include Nole here instead of, let's say, Nadal?

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nole is letting his emotions out more often than Federer and Nadal together so he shouldn't be mentioned

HIST9RY
nole_no1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
country flag samanosuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Exactly. I wonder why JMac felt the need to include Nole here instead of, let's say, Nadal?
because if Nadal voices up his emotions we would be watching tennis matches with tone off
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
how you choose to celebrate after you win is your own choice and that's the right moment to release all of your emotions etc.

however Nole shows very little or no emotions during a match nowadays. He is very composed.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

that's why fed told the rg crowd to shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Pathetic statement, in every way.

Firstly, Federer and Djokovic show their emotions on court, but not so much. What he wants? A new crazy McEnroe??

Secondly, it comes from one player worse than Federer and Djokovic (I believe Djoko will have more achievements than McEnroe at the end of his career). It's not intelligent to recomend a behavior for better players than him.

Finally, self control is one of the reasons why Fed and Djoko are so amazing players.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

I think they both let his emotions out honestly.

Not that much like Safin or Gaudio maybe, or Mac himfself, but they're not "robots" like some other players.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote