Told a group of people to shut up today... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
country flag Noserer
Banned!

Noserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Told a group of people to shut up today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
that's dumb because you should pay attention especially when you are paying for the class
We don't pay for classes here
Noserer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserer View Post
We don't pay for classes here
are you in uni noserer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
country flag Noserer
Banned!

Noserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
are you in uni noserer?
Yes, it's my first year here.
Noserer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
country flag tennisfan856

tennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond reputetennisfan856 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
i love this gif.
tennisfan856 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
country flag Harmless

Harmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeHarmless has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you for acting on something you felt was necessary but I don't think there's anything particularly cool about losing your temper like that in the long run.
The stereotype is a little cruel in some applications, but ultimately true - if you want to waste your time largely undisturbed, sit in the back, if you're there to actually do some work, sit in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
It happened to me but I was in the position of the teacher. I have a student who has a very low tolerance for noise, probably because of concentration problems.

Now, I'm not particularly strict about noise, I'd rather have a class where people chat a little, but also contribute to the class, instead of a class where no one speaks at all (usually in France, it's either the one or the other, which is a problem). So whenever I feel that the noise is getting too high and bothering the most serious students, I ask the loud students to shut up, but I don't do it systematically if there's only a little noise.

Once this student got angry, and she simply stood up and said: "Listen everyone, it's really too loud here, I'm tired of all that noise, so now could you please shut up and let students like me listen to the class? Thank you." Everyone was awestruck, it was actually pretty embarrassing.

To be honest, sometimes, I enjoy seeing students do that, because you feel a little vindicated. It makes you realize that there are a number of students who are interested in listening to you, interested enough to risk being labelled a teacher's pet and so on.
But that time, I did feel embarrassed, because I got the impression that she was doing my job, and thus, I felt a little ridiculous, as if she was doing it because I was not able to do it. Now I'm more careful about the noise, though, and I keep an eye on that student to check if she's showing signs of annoyance I do find it quite brave of her to do that, because unlike you, she obviously did not have any sympathy from the class.

I guess it's my fault for not being harsh enough with the most talkative students. But it's the first time I have had such noisy students, I still haven't thrown anyone out, but I have come very close to doing it for the first time, and I might have to do it soon. The problem is that in France, we have huge groups of about 40 students for so-called "tutorials", so it makes it difficult to deal with noise, given that it doesn't need a group of very loud students, but rather, several groups of students who are just a little loud, it adds up, and they don't realize they're disturbing people. It also makes it more difficult to identify the culprits.
Since tutorials are supposed to be classes where they actually talk, instead of just listening, it's difficult to find a balance between shutting everyone up and having an entirely silent class (which is awful), and encouraging them to talk without also encouraging a little noise in the back of the classroom.
(Also as you said, sometimes when you're at the front, you don't hear the noise that much)

I'll have new groups after January, and once I know what they're like this year, I'll probably need to lecture them about the noise from the start and make it clear that they're supposed to contribute to the class but that in those conditions they need to behave themselves, otherwise I'll have to throw them out.
Thanks for the perspective of the other side. I've had enormous respect for teachers ever since I gave up on my own teaching career. I find that I do care genuinely about educating young minds, but not enough to put myself through situations like these on a daily basis. So for those who can tough it out - all the respect.

Quote:
I always sit in the back to minimize the amount of distractions while I'm playing or surfing on my laptop.
Great use of your energy and time.

Last edited by scoobs : 11-30-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Harmless is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan856 View Post
i love this gif.
It is not a gif.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, it's my first year here.
How are your grades?

Quote:
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #23
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT = Fed View Post
So was in class today towards the back, just a few rows from the back and a bunch of people were talking pretty loudly and it was annoying. The lecturer warned them twice and told them that if he caught them talking again he would send them out. Now of course they quietened down but it was still annoying as they were at the level where the people at the back could hear them but those at the front probably couldn't (As it's a pretty big lecture hall). It was very hard to concentrate since we were doing a very hard topic. Thought fuk it, they're not shutting up so I got annoyed and told them to 'SHUT UP' like Federer here:

with pretty much the same facial expression.

Thought I was going to be absolutely lambasted by everyone (didn't give a fuk though) but was surprisingly met with approval by everyone bar the loud group of people. They finally shut their mouths for the rest of the lecture. Felt like a boss.

What would you guys have done in that situation? And yes this really DID happen, wish someone had recorded it lol.

Who the fuck cares about lectures? Lecture halls are boring and the professor always talks in a monotone. Just go learn the information yourself from your textbook or the internet (unless you aren't smart enough to)

Still...good for you
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
country flag GOATsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post

Who the fuck cares about lectures? Lecture halls are boring and the professor always talks in a monotone. Just go learn the information yourself from your textbook or the internet (unless you aren't smart enough to)

Still...good for you
I care.

Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

I love the gif.

I'm too non-confrontational to tell people to shut up in real life (obviously not on the Internet ), so I'd probably just give them death glares and hope that they get the hint and shut the hell up.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #26
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I love the gif.

I'm too non-confrontational to tell people to shut up in real life (obviously not on the Internet ), so I'd probably just give them death glares and hope that they get the hint and shut the hell up.
im not sure ur death glares will help, maybe they will think u have a little crush

its a big problem esp to ppl who came to study and not just pass the time
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to university, such problems did not arise. Talking in a lecture was just not done.

The prof. should have told them they would get an "F". But I think that these days "F"s are considered to be a violation of the student's rights.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
im not sure ur death glares will help, maybe they will think u have a little crush
Unlikely, since people tend to think I'm pissed off when my face is set in its default expression.

Quote:
its a big problem esp to ppl who came to study and not just pass the time
People who go to classes to fool around are just wasting their own time and money and other people's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
When I went to university, such problems did not arise. Talking in a lecture was just not done.

The prof. should have told them they would get an "F". But I think that these days "F"s are considered to be a violation of the student's rights.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #29
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unlikely, since people tend to think I'm pissed off when my face is set in its default expression.
i find it hard to believe with such a hot, beautiful, sexy avi and siggy

Quote:
People who go to classes to fool around are just wasting their own time and money and other people's time.
i have no idea why they come, such a Waste of time and energy.

i think we should go back to old times, when the prof speak everyone shut up.

i mist say when i did my B.A it was bad but now in my MBA days, ppl talk less, a lot less
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
country flag tripwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
i find it hard to believe with such a hot, beautiful, sexy avi and siggy

Quote:
i have no idea why they come, such a Waste of time and energy.

i think we should go back to old times, when the prof speak everyone shut up.

i mist say when i did my B.A it was bad but now in my MBA days, ppl talk less, a lot less
I think post-grad students are more mature in general and so they don't talk as much during lectures. It's a good thing. No one talks in this really really really boring lecture that I have too (I'm doing a post-grad course).