High percentage tennis is boring - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High percentage tennis is boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
It's the lack of regulation in racquet- and string technology which is the problem. To me it's in effect too easy to it the ball well, and it's that which has led to balls and surfaces being slowed down to the extent that we see now.
This. I think improved racquets made 90s the decade of acefests on fast surfaces. And improved racquets have made it also easier to pass the player on net.

Set rules on racquets to make it more difficult to hit the ball well. Then the game favours creative shotmakers more. And then you can speed up grass without the fear of acefests.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
I never said that was the case, but there defintely was much more room for contrasts in gamestyles back then. It's a matter of taste, though. I know sure as hell I wasn't riveted by this years AO final when it comes to what tennis we got to see. When there are precious few entertaining points from six hours worth of play between two very good players I'm left discontent. Not to mention the toll it takes on the players them selves.
That match still has many positives - in the past some top players didn't even bother to play at AO, and even in recent history not many will mention great matches from AO, (unless they're Safin fans ); Fed won it four times, and you'd barely know it, everybody will talk about Wimbledon grass.

Last but not least, it's funny how people complain about 6 hours finals, yet worship 11 hours R1 match
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Djokovic is one of the few players to consistently get away with aiming at the lines.
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Last but not least, it's funny how people complain about 6 hours finals, yet worship 11 hours R1 match
Well, like I said, it all depends on what kind of tennis is being displayed. And the main thing which made that match so spectacular was the fifth set alone.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. This is exactly the reason that Dull killed tennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with percentage tennis per se, the problem is that everyone is playing like that these days, which makes it boring of course.

There's only one player in the current top 8 who rarely ever plays the percentages, that player being Tsonga. In this era, Tsonga's game, while exciting, is extremely reckless, which is why he's by far the most erratic top level tennis player.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

You do understand that in order to be the best, you need to play the high percentage game all the time and have the mental fortitude to stick with it.

This is the case in all sports, including tennis, since the beginning of time.

Rushing the net or trying to hit winners from every ball would be high percentage play on a low bouncing court / court with an unpredictable bounce.

Bottom line, you are bored and you want to see something else. If the ATP is doing nothing about it, that means you are still a minority of tennis fans sharing that opinion
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

High percentage tennis wins matches.

Winning matches is not boring.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
In which sport do you have top sportsmen taking huge risks? Whether it's basketball, football, etc. you will most likely see that top teams/guys are just too solid and will rarely try something crazy.
You're kidding right.. sports like basketball, American football, football, etc all have risky plays being made. A 3 point shooter as opposed to a 2 point on, a long throw as opposed to just running the ball down, etc... You can't tell me people don't like 3 point shots as much as 2 point ones or a long throw in American football as much as just handing off the ball to try to run it down.. Both a 3 point shot and throwing the football and much more "risky." I don't think I have to explain why..
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #25
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
You do understand that in order to be the best, you need to play the high percentage game all the time and have the mental fortitude to stick with it.

Rushing the net or trying to hit winners from every ball would be high percentage play on a low bouncing court / court with an unpredictable bounce.

Bottom line, you are bored and you want to see something else. If the ATP is doing nothing about it, that means you are still a minority of tennis fans sharing that opinion
as always

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post

I'm slightly left dumbfounded by this post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
You're kidding right.. sports like basketball, American football, football, etc all have risky plays being made. A 3 point shooter as opposed to a 2 point on, a long throw as opposed to just running the ball down, etc... You can't tell me people don't like 3 point shots as much as 2 point ones or a long throw in American football as much as just handing off the ball to try to run it down.. Both a 3 point shot and throwing the football and much more "risky." I don't think I have to explain why..
Shooting 3s is not risky if done by the right people, and as a result of well-constructed plays. On the other hand, chucking a 3 when the shot clock is running out and double teamed, is what the teams on the bottom often do, and usually that's why they are on the bottom
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
country flag RafaelNadalisGod
Banned!

RafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond repute

The most fun is watching a high percentage player ala Djokovic play an attacker ala Federer.
RafaelNadalisGod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadalisGod View Post
The most fun is watching a high percentage player ala Djokovic play an attacker ala Federer.
which is exactly why federer is saving tennis

djokovic vs dull is boring, for example

but federer djokovic is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
which is exactly why federer is saving tennis

djokovic vs dull is boring, for example

but federer djokovic is great
agreed with both of yo. Nole does play percentages, he goes from ofense to defense, and when he is in the right position, boom, he hits a winner. Novak has never played this style to wear down his opponents. Fed is a natural aggressor and I'm afraid probably the last one left on the tour. However Fed plays percentages too but to the less extent.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote