What to expect in 2013: David Goffin - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to expect in 2013: David Goffin

http://servolley.blogspot.com/

What to expect in 2013: David Goffin

Quote:
David Goffin, world number 46 and Belgian number one, is in my opinion one of the most promising youngsters that we have around right now. While players with powerful styles, who supposedly have bigger chances of making occasional upsets have been receiving most of the attention thus far, Goffin possesses a very consistent technique from the baseline and has been showing some great movement over the last year.
He might not be the strongest guy on tour, and he is not quite a huge shot-maker either, but from what I've seen so far he was far better than most of the other youngsters both tactically and mentally.

David will turn 22 next Friday, and at 180 cm he cannot rely on a big serve or powerful groundstrokes to get him through difficult matches. Despite that, he has had some very notable victories this year over higher ranked opponents amongst which are Victor Troicki and John Isner, and has already managed to secure a set against Roger Federer, as we all do at some point during the day. He went up the rankings quite nicely as well, finishing the year at number 46 after being ranked 174th on January 2nd.

Needless to say that there is still a large span of a promising career in front of the Belgian. Taking a quick look at the top 50 area of the rankings, you might even say he is under-ranked. I believe this young guy will be able to keep rising, as he has been producing some of his best tennis so far in the post-USO season. You can count on him to surpass some of the players currently ranked above him by the time the clay season arrives. (Least tricky one should be Andy Roddick, currently at #39).

One thing is for sure - Goffin definitely has his goals to achieve in 2013. And for players like him, there is usually one most important concern: SEEDINGS. If he can work his way into the top 32 seeds of a Grand Slam, let alone top 16, it can make a tremendous difference for someone who is not yet a real Slam contender. Optimistically speaking, I think David should aim for a top 20 finish in the year-end rankings, which is a pretty big ask, but also a doable one.
Other than getting up in the rankings, there is nothing better for your own confidence than making deep runs in tournaments. David has been doing a solid job taking his chances in 2012, and I hope he can keep doing so. A first title is definitely not impossible either. I mean, if Klizan won one...

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote