Andre Agassi vs Joachim Johansson AO 2005 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andre Agassi vs Joachim Johansson AO 2005

Does anybody still remember that match?

I always thought it to be one of the best matches I've ever seen. Johansson blistering 1st and 2nd serves like a machine and slapping balls left and right winners after winners. It was definitely one of the most impressive BALL BASHING (and i mean just pure pure pure brainless ball bashing) display I have ever seen. No rhythm or rallies whatsoever, whatever in strike zone it's almost a winner. In total Johansson on that night served a grand slam record of 51 aces (now broken by Karlovic of 55) and played in zone tennis. Even the big man himself said "he felt he could have served better" at the post match interview.

The old Agassi however fended off the in the zone big man impressively and won the match 7–6(4), 6–7(5), 6–7(3), 4–6. Tbh after the first set I didn't think Agassi had a chance, but the guy showed why he's one of the best service returner ever and turned the match around. Impressive stuff.

Of course though the next round he met an in form Federer and got demolished.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andre Agassi vs Joachim Johansson AO 2005

no because I was 11

Federer will win another grand slam.
Cilic is not a one slam wonder.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

I care. Pim pim was a fun player to watch. Its too bad he had to quit playing. Sweden's been quite unlucky. With him and Soderling they would've had an excellent DC team
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

yeh, absolute shitstorm of aggressive tennis, not least the brutal serving ofc - seriously great effort from Agassi to come out of it with the win.

this shows the serving performance, at least:

Nole / Tsonga / The Fog / Haas / Brown / Gojowczyk / Colonel / Mahut / Sijsling / Dolgo / Funky Flo / Cuevas / Fed / Stan / Baker / Alund / Kei / Tursunov / Copil / Brands / Benneteau / Steps / Stakh / PHM
Rafter / Edberg / Henman / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehander View Post
Does anybody still remember that match?

I always thought it to be one of the best matches I've ever seen. Johansson blistering 1st and 2nd serves like a machine and slapping balls left and right winners after winners. It was definitely one of the most impressive BALL BASHING (and i mean just pure pure pure brainless ball bashing) display I have ever seen. No rhythm or rallies whatsoever, whatever in strike zone it's almost a winner. In total Johansson on that night served a grand slam record of 51 aces (now broken by Karlovic of 55) and played in zone tennis. Even the big man himself said "he felt he could have served better" at the post match interview.

The old Agassi however fended off the in the zone big man impressively and won the match 7–6(4), 6–7(5), 6–7(3), 4–6. Tbh after the first set I didn't think Agassi had a chance, but the guy showed why he's one of the best service returner ever and turned the match around. Impressive stuff.

Of course though the next round he met an in form Federer and got demolished.
Also slighly surpassed by Isner's 113...... But 51 is still the record for any round later than the 1st. And record for a match not going to five sets.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Great match. Johansson was very good at that time. He played great at the USO 2004 too and had an epic match with Roddick.

What a pitty that injuries ruined him.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Even if Agassi was maybe the best returner in history of the game it wasn't surprise so big number of aces against him. Not few times in his carrier he ate 40+ aces. Against big servers he was kind of returner who was picking sides before the ball left server's racket. When he put racket on the ball it was blistering return but often he didn't
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

also LOVE how Agassi seemed to gradually, slowly but surely, move back and back behind the baseline in order to return - 1:56 in the vid is my fav, compare it to the start where he's almost on the baseline (went in closer in fits and starts though).
Nole / Tsonga / The Fog / Haas / Brown / Gojowczyk / Colonel / Mahut / Sijsling / Dolgo / Funky Flo / Cuevas / Fed / Stan / Baker / Alund / Kei / Tursunov / Copil / Brands / Benneteau / Steps / Stakh / PHM
Rafter / Edberg / Henman / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

GM stands for General Messages, not Great Matches. Which means that this should be in a retired players thread or something

Johansson He hit harder than a hippo with rabies
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Mug match, mug players

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

safin vs federer in the same slam was arguably a better performance
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Mug match, mug players
Shut the fuck up and respect these two legends.

What an awesome match. Johansson's serve was wicked in 04-05.

And even old man Agassi at 35 was beating top 10 players and making slam finals.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by End da Game View Post
safin vs federer in the same slam was arguably a better performance
Best match ever.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #14
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Shut the fuck up and respect these two legends.
No; No.

Drugassi was a washed up mug.
Mughansson was just lucky in a weak era.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Why bring up Roddick in every thread you comment on, it doesn't make sense Oh wait... I knew that already.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote