Nü metal is not dead! The Nu-Alternative Metal thread. - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nü metal is not dead! The Nu-Alternative Metal thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruzzz View Post
It's obvious that nu metal comes from Alternative, when I said "Bro-genres" I never meant sub-genres, I just meant genres most nu-metal fans would accept.

And that definition is a little wikipedish , it's reaaally difficult to define nu-metal, I'm not 100% okay with that definition. I think it's like what Chinaski said, when you hear it, you know that's nu.

Just saying that alot of people confuse alt-metal with nu, like the bands I mentioned are alt-metal.

That's pretty much the worst way I've heard to describe/define music.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
That's pretty much the worst way I've heard to describe/define music.
*sigh... someone's a little discussion-mode, today.
It's actually a great definition, if you're into music and you know what you're listening...

Okay, here you go, mister

Nu metal uses "uncommon" tuning, a lot of songs tuned in D, B or even A. Almost all bassist uses 5-string bass guitars, because they use low notes in their songs.
The fusion thing is true, but that's really not accurate, you can try harder than quote wikipedia, it's true it has a lot of alternative metal, but it also has a lot of 90s thrash metal, if you hear Anthrax's song "Only", it has a really nu-metalish sound in the guitars and the voice-line (not the vocals, though).

The distorted guitars have special distortions, not the common heavy-thrash metal ones. In other words, they use the most sick and agressive distorsion.

The wah-wah harmonics (sorry, are they called like that in english? here they're "Artificial harmonics") are used A LOT, specially to create a mix between low-note riffs and high-pitched sounds mixed together.

Bass-guitar has a lot of more work than in thrash metal, bands like Limp Bizkit for example use high-pitched notes in the bass guitar during the verses and song's hooks, a little jazzy if you ask me.

Drumming is also agressive, similar to thrash and groove metal but with more unique "Ways to play it" (this is difficult to me to describe, i'm not a drummer, but I can try), let's call it "irregular" and with the drums not only as a base for the other instruments (like in some 80s metal), it has a lot more of participation in nü metal, making his own way through the songs.

Vocals use a lot of gutural sounds, the "Groovy voice" is also present, but it also has high pitched 70s-metal voices, and the first origins of screaming as we know now. A lot of rapping is accepted here too, but also melodic voices like Tankian.
You can combine those vocal skills and have a gutural-rap.

You mentioned Rage Against the Machine earlier, they're one of the first bands that made a sound similar to nü metal in their first album, I'd say they're the first "Early nu metal" band here, their combination from Alternative-Rap metal is probably one of the most influential band of that time.

You can add a lot of stuff in nu metal, every weird instrument can fit really good, look at Korn for example. Bands like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park, who I consider the most pop-form of nü metal (of course we're talking about their 2 first albums, the next stuff is just pop-rock) uses DJs as band members and bring that stuff to every song.

Ok, I think I said enough.

Are you happy, now? I can continue if you want.
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

people who try to clearly define musical genres are usually boring mugs not worth listening to anyway.

machine head are an interesting case. they're not a nu-metal band and weren't to begin with but they jumped on the bandwagon for a while at the turn of the century.

obvious differences from their previous work. rapping, extra down-tuning, "personal" lyrics, no guitar solos.

from looking like this:

to this:

thankfully they came to their senses and returned to their glory days.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I like both Machine Head forms. What a band!

When LP was cool!
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #20

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I liked both Machine Heads too, apart from a time around the Supercharger album when they brought out a couple of real stinkers.

One Minute Silence. Some pretty obscure rap-metal from UK/Ireland. Amazing live band

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #21
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

You guys should check out the first album by Lostprophets, always liked that one.

The stuff they made after that however, was utter garbage.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
country flag viruzzz

Kells is a french nu-alternative-gothic group.
I really like them, I think they need more difusion, look at that nasty riff.

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
You guys should check out the first album by Lostprophets, always liked that one.

The stuff they made after that however, was utter garbage.
agree on both counts.

I actually bought their first album from their guitarist when he was operating the merch stall when I saw them in 2001. The blonde haired guy. Got it signed by him.

They were third on the bill supporting Stampin Ground and Earthtone9.

Another great band from that era. Not really nu-metal but part of the same scene.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #24
country flag viruzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
Another great band from that era. Not really nu-metal but part of the same scene.

True, they're not exactly nu, but they have a lot of elements, I really enjoy this band, though I must confess I haven't listened them in a while. Sweet memories!

This is probably one of the sickest slipknot tracks, pure violence and agressive tune.
The most nu-metalish face of slipknot.

Eeyore, I can't believe this was a bonus track.

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
country flag viruzzz

Damn, I regret so much not going to the SOAD concert here in Argentina last year.

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #26
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
people who try to clearly define musical genres are usually boring mugs not worth listening to anyway.

machine head are an interesting case. they're not a nu-metal band and weren't to begin with but they jumped on the bandwagon for a while at the turn of the century.

obvious differences from their previous work. rapping, extra down-tuning, "personal" lyrics, no guitar solos.

from looking like this:

to this:

thankfully they came to their senses and returned to their glory days.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #27
country flag viruzzz

Come on, J99, I was just messing a little with you, I might say Chinaski's doing the same.
Take it the funny way. Bring a cool video

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #28

J99 just proving my point about being boring. You consistently come across as one of the driest and most anally retentive posters on the board. Doing it once again here in a thread about nu-metal. Nu-metal ffs.

Lighten the fuck up.

This was Cypress Hill jumping on the bandwagon. The hilariously choreographed mosh-pits were staples in nu-metal videos. Completely fucking awesome song though.

I saw them supporting Limp Bizkit in 2000. Maybe the best live band I've ever seen.

Not sure if this counts.

Quote:
Here is the correct definition of Nu: It is a fusion genre which combines elements of metal music with other genres, including hip hop, grunge, funk and industrial.
ok, looks like it gets a pass from J99. Phew.

Last edited by Henry Chinaski : 11-28-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Henry Chinaski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #29
country flag RafaelNadalisGod
Banned!

RafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see viruzzz is a metalhead. makes you even more of my favorite poster. I prefer heavier forms of metal and metalcore. But Nu Metal is amazing because really no nu metal artists is similar to another nu metal artist, they're all very unique.
My favs:
Slipknot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da84QU8UgRA

Best live artist I've ever seen. Mayhem Fest 2012 was amazing. Heretic Anthem is my favorite I think.

Linkin Park (First 2 albums +Given Up and Bleed It Out)

Linkin Park I really don't know what to say. These guys were amazing. I just don't know what the fuck happened. I bought their new album cause I heard it was going to be like the first two. Listened, broke it in half, threw away.

System Of A Down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSxELGNShk

Amazing amazing group. Cannot Wait til they come to Florida. I must see them in my lifetime. Toxicity is favorite

Others:
Papa Roach
Five Finger Death Punch

Can't think of others but the 5 above are all amazing.
RafaelNadalisGod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
agree on both counts.

I actually bought their first album from their guitarist when he was operating the merch stall when I saw them in 2001. The blonde haired guy. Got it signed by him.

They were third on the bill supporting Stampin Ground and Earthtone9.

Earthtone9!! awesome band. Saw them open for Fear Factory once, and they sounded better than FF :P

Did you know that the singer from ET9 stars in a band called TwinZero? As far as I know they've released 2 albums. It is abit more progressive than ET9, so don't know if that's anything you like
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote