"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 67 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 305 80.47%
Leave them as they are 74 19.53%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #991
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Campaigning for Faster Courts on Tour

Thank you Roger. Hopefully the ATP will listen to you.
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #992
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Have to laugh at Roger fans presenting this as him caring for the game! He's benefited from the slower courts throughout his career - far easier for him to rack up all those Wimbledons and US Opens in an era which didn't favour big servers than in the 90s. It's only now that Djokovic, Murray etc. have a clear advantage over him on those courts and he's a step slower that he has spoken about this issue - he's been on tour 14+ years, is in his 30s - speaking about it isn't showing leadership, it's pure self interest.

Also, apart from minorities of vocal fans on messageboards the vast majority of the public don't seem to have an issue with the court speed. Tennis is far more popular now than in late 90s - the top stars get great coverage, top events sell out etc. I'd be happy to see more variety but the idea that all courts are the same is a nonsense anyway. If they were we'd see the likes of Almagro picking up 250 hardcourt/indoor titles rather than only winning on clay and vice versa for those with terrible clay records. If the hard courts are a little slower it's also true that the clay is a little faster.

So it's great for Federer to talk about the top guys being "protected" but it might have meant more if he'd wanted any change when it would have been adverse to him. No doubt Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will disagree and why wouldn't they - they'll all favour the type of court that helps them.
It is interesting

No doubt slower surfaces has helped him against a big server like roddick, but nadal started challenging him outside clay from 2006 onwards - right in the middle of his prime years

Say if federer lost 2 wimbledons and us opens to roddick/another big server, he would've also gained a similar number of slams from nadal from 2008 onwards. In fact, I think the slower surfaces have benefited nadal against him, more than it has for him against roddick. We've seen federer can play short point serve and volley very well in his performances against sampras in 2001, and then his wimbledon victory in 2003 (when S+V was still a big part of the game) in which he defeated roddick in straight sets at the semi-final.

His serve is probably better than roddick as seen in the 2009 wimbledon final, roddick served out of his skin but still got out-aced. So I have no doubt that he'll still flourish in very quick 90s conditions. Nadal on the other hand, I'm not sure about. His serve is still pretty shit considering he's won 11 grand slams with it, his volleying and general net game is even worse.
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #993
country flag Noserer
Banned!

Noserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond reputeNoserer has a reputation beyond repute

Servebotrerer just trying to get a chance to win something in the future too, nothing surprising here. Pathetic and obvious.
Noserer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #994
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

He is right . No one eat the same food three times a day,seven days a week and 365 days an year.If you do that you will get sick after a while. If there is a variety more players would play different style so more joy for the players and fans.
pepita1964 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #995
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserer View Post
Servebotrerer just trying to get a chance to win something in the future too, nothing surprising here. Pathetic and obvious.
You still haven't said who you were in your past life.

As for Roger, well done. Still telling it like it is, after all these years!
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #996
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedal_Fedal View Post
Meanwhile, Rafa continues to sponsor with ill-advised "Poker Stars". I wish Roger could impart his wisdom to Rafa sometimes, but what can he do other than serve as an example. They seem like they are drifting apart in so many ways.
Another Fedal fan.
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #997
country flag Cavalcante

Cavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond repute

I know that Grass was very much slowed down, but, in a certain way, the games became more entertaining. Maybe they should speed it up again, but not to what it was on 80s and 90s.

I think the point is mainly the HC events. They are all being slowed down, and they are surely the ones that causes the most injuries.

Leave Clay slow, make Grass a little faster, and speed up some HC tournaments. Also, bring Carpet back. WTF whould be played on them.
Cavalcante is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #998
country flag caisenma

caisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i'm fine with grass being where it is. maybe a wee bit faster, but nothing like it used to be.

clay should be slow. and the fast balls they used a couple of years were pointless. clay is meant to be slow full stop.

but the hardcourts should never, ever have become as homogenised as they are. us open was flat out brutal. i thought the asian swing courts were excellent, however. would be nice to see those speeds in the MS1000's.
caisenma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #999
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Have to laugh at Roger fans presenting this as him caring for the game! He's benefited from the slower courts throughout his career - far easier for him to rack up all those Wimbledons and US Opens in an era which didn't favour big servers than in the 90s. It's only now that Djokovic, Murray etc. have a clear advantage over him on those courts and he's a step slower that he has spoken about this issue - he's been on tour 14+ years, is in his 30s - speaking about it isn't showing leadership, it's pure self interest.

Also, apart from minorities of vocal fans on messageboards the vast majority of the public don't seem to have an issue with the court speed. Tennis is far more popular now than in late 90s - the top stars get great coverage, top events sell out etc. I'd be happy to see more variety but the idea that all courts are the same is a nonsense anyway. If they were we'd see the likes of Almagro picking up 250 hardcourt/indoor titles rather than only winning on clay and vice versa for those with terrible clay records. If the hard courts are a little slower it's also true that the clay is a little faster.

So it's great for Federer to talk about the top guys being "protected" but it might have meant more if he'd wanted any change when it would have been adverse to him. No doubt Nadal, Djokovic and Murray will disagree and why wouldn't they - they'll all favour the type of court that helps them.
Federer beat Sampras at Wimbledon, who is one of the best servers of all time. Not to mention how he manhandled Roddick and other big hitters in his prime. Now when he's older he can overpowered more easily since he doesn't move as well. It's also easier for the bigger players to get to his shots since the courts are slower. He didn't have problems with big hitters when he was racking up his titles.

And it's not like he was prompted to this response: he was asked about it and he gave his opinion. It's not a spontaneous outburst.

On popularity, tennis was hugely popular in the 80s, guess why? It's the players and their charisma and rivalries that create interest, not style of play. The nineties didn't have as big stars, especially the late 90s. Sampras could've been one but he tired to stay out of the spotlight. Agassi was very inconsistent.

What I like about Federer is that he always does things that are good for tennis, not just things that are good for him. Some might actually be good for him but that's not in the back of his mind, at least that's how it seems for me.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #1000
country flag swordsman

swordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond reputeswordsman has a reputation beyond repute

Totally support Roger on his argument of bringing more variety of speeds to the courts. Not everything has to be fast, but they should definitely speed up a few tournaments. I watched the 2012 UO final on Youtube the other day, and I was just bored as hell. At some points it just felt like a forehand to forehand practice session, with neither Djokovic or Murray wanting to go for the point. Can't understand commentators calling a 30-shot rally amazing, simply because it lasted so long.
swordsman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #1001
Knotty Fort

Knotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond repute

The tennis calender should be split up like this:

First week of Jan to Miami: Slow to medium paced hardcourts. Players are fitter and fresher at the start of the year, better able to grind. Reward the athletic and fit players.

Clay court season till French Open: VERY slow clay courts. Reward the grinders, defenders, and court craft players.

Grass season till Wimbledon: Ultra quick grass courts. Reward the servers, first strike tennis players.

Summer hard court season till US open: Fast hard courts. Reward the all court players, the players who have a balance between aggressive tennis and denfense.

Fall season (indoor/hardcourt): Should be on faster surfaces, players are tired, and the grass season is so short that this season should augment the part of the year that rewards the big servers/big power players.

If you can dominate an entire year like that, then you are truly a complete tennis player.
Knotty Fort is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #1002
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Federer beat Sampras at Wimbledon, who is one of the best servers of all time. Not to mention how he manhandled Roddick and other big hitters in his prime. Now when he's older he can overpowered more easily since he doesn't move as well. It's also easier for the bigger players to get to his shots since the courts are slower. He didn't have problems with big hitters when he was racking up his titles.

And it's not like he was prompted to this response: he was asked about it and he gave his opinion. It's not a spontaneous outburst.

On popularity, tennis was hugely popular in the 80s, guess why? It's the players and their charisma and rivalries that create interest, not style of play. The nineties didn't have as big stars, especially the late 90s. Sampras could've been one but he tired to stay out of the spotlight. Agassi was very inconsistent.

What I like about Federer is that he always does things that are good for tennis, not just things that are good for him. Some might actually be good for him but that's not in the back of his mind, at least that's how it seems for me.
yeah I can't remember where I read it, but here in the UK, the wimbledon final between borg and mcenroe from the early 80s is still the most watched tennis match in our history, I don't even think federer-murray this year matched that despite there being the 1st brit in 80 odd years featuring in a wimbledon final
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #1003
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman View Post
Totally support Roger on his argument of bringing more variety of speeds to the courts. Not everything has to be fast, but they should definitely speed up a few tournaments. I watched the 2012 UO final on Youtube the other day, and I was just bored as hell. At some points it just felt like a forehand to forehand practice session, with neither Djokovic or Murray wanting to go for the point. Can't understand commentators calling a 30-shot rally amazing, simply because it lasted so long.
+10000000
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #1004
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

This better not happen just because it suits the old one. It would destroy tennis.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #1005
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Everything after RG should be sped up and everything after USO should be carpet. That would be fair & balanced.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote