Clydey and Friends' Philosophical Paradise - Page 47 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Hinduism more or less rational than the major religions?

It's more rational. 1 3.70%
It's less rational. 3 11.11%
It is no more and no less rational than any other religion ou there. 12 44.44%
I don't know enough about it to give an educated opinion. 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #691
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clydey and Friends' Philosophical Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
hi folks, am I allowed to join in? Sounds like an interesting discussion going on here.
Absolutely. Feel free to share your thoughts.
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #692
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
i'll share a secret... here is last time that i truly held any faith...

one final gem found in the ashes of the 80's...
80's action movies. The one thing I hold dearest.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #693
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Absolutely. Feel free to share your thoughts.
Thanks!

Quote:
I have no absolute purpose. That is, I believe my existence is a happy accident and that is where it ends.

I suppose you could say that I make my own purpose. I am a relentlessly logical person, but I have my irrational moments. For example, I am an extremely proud Scotsman and would love to achieve something that would be recognised as a Scottish achievement. I of course realise that nationalism at this level is a vacuous concept (if anything we are all Africans), but my national identity is still something I cherish.

Taking that into account, it is easier than you may think to manufacture a purpose and remain largely unconscious of the pointlessness of it all, with the exception of a few slightly depressing moments where I realise that nothing I do ultimately matters.
Quite like my own feelings as well.
I think it's a mistake to think that if there's no 'afterlife' - which I think there isn't - your, or anyone else's for that matter, life would be 'meaningless'.

I think that the meaning of our lives is in fact designated by what you manage to do with your life - and during your lifetime, whether it is a great career, or just being helpful to others. Thereafter, we'll just end up being molecules again, which will help build up the next fase of Nature, and there's nothing wrong with that.

As I am for 99% an atheist, I'd like to emphasize that being 'religious' is a totally different concept than being 'spiritual'. I consider myself a very spiritual, even (over-?)sensitive person, but that has never blocked my very rational mind - I just allow myself to feel 'spiritual' whenever I think it's a good thing.

To name an example:
A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine died at a very young age of a dreadful cancer. Years before that happened, I marvelled at the hollyhocks in her garden, and asked her for some seeds to spread around on my doorstep.
Well... two years ago she died, and guess what happened? The hollyhocks came out in full bloom, right on my doorstep, in flaming pink and gentle yellow/green. Exactly her favourite colours.
So now, every spring when those plants come up again, I cannot help but just nod towards them and think, "Hi there Chantalle, nice to see you around again. How are you doing 'over there'?"

Silly? Perhaps.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 11-19-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #694
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Quite like my own feelings as well.
I think it's a mistake to think that if there's no 'afterlife' - which I think there isn't - your, or anyone else's for that matter, life would be 'meaningless'.
I meant meaningless in the larger sense, as in being put here for a reason.

Quote:
I think that the meaning of our lives is in fact designated by what you manage to do with your life - and during your lifetime, whether it is a great career, or just being helpful to others. Thereafter, we'll just end up being molecules again, which will help build up the next fase of nature, and there's nothing wrong with that.
That is a good way to think of it, even if I wouldn't agree that, objectively speaking, that is our purpose. But subjectively, I would absolutely agree.

Quote:
As I am for 99% an atheist, I'd like to emphasize that being 'religious' is a totally different concept than being 'spiritual'. I consider myself a very spiritual, even (over-?)sensitive person, but that has never blocked my very rational mind - I just allow myself to feel 'spiritual' whenever I think it's a good thing.

To name an example:
A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine died at a very young age of a dreadful cancer. Years before that happened, I marvelled at the hollyhocks in her garden, and asked her for some seeds to spread around on my doorstep.
Well... two years ago she died, and guess what happened? The hollyhocks came out in full bloom, right on my doorstep, in flaming pink and gentle yellow/green. Exactly her favourite colours.
So now, every spring when those plants come up again, I cannot help but just nod towards them and think, "Hi there Chantalle, nice to see you around again. How are you doing 'over there'?"

Silly? Perhaps.
I wouldn't call it silly, since I'm sure you don't look at the plants and really think that your friend resides within them.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #695
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I meant meaningless in the larger sense, as in being put here for a reason.
Heh heh. Us Homo Sapiens sapiens put on Planet Earth for a 'reason'? I'd rather call it One Big Mistake. Yet another reason to not believe in any a 'god'.
No way, man - well perhaps to finally cause the ultimate downfall of the ecology of our planet... on which we're doing a mighty fine job, unfortunately.

Quote:
That is a good way to think of it, even if I wouldn't agree that, objectively speaking, that is our purpose. But subjectively, I would absolutely agree.
I don't think any of us individuals have any 'purpose' of being here. but I guess such is just too painful to think about for a lot of folks.

This said, I think that this is one of the causes of there being religions at all - as a matter of fact, Homo Sapiens sapiens is one of the very few mammalic species having any conciousness of mortality at all (I know there are some reports of elephants and dolphins perhaps having it as well, but don't really know how convincing those claims actually are), so that might well explain the 'need' for having a religion - the thought of not being as important as you might want to think you are, might just be too hard to bear for many.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it silly, since I'm sure you don't look at the plants and really think that your friend resides within them.
- nope. It's just some kind of an irrational, but nice, way of dealing with the though thoughts on the loss of a dear friend. Some kind of very spiritual ritualization.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.

Last edited by Sunset of Age : 11-19-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #696
country flag Nidhogg

Nidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond reputeNidhogg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a simple individual, and I make my own fortune. Right now my purpose in life is nothing more than to enjoy a glass of good Whiskey and watch Gene Hackman being force-fed heroin. Later on I will experience pure, exstatic bliss by the humble means of a mangle and 10 meters of bubble plastic wrap...
Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #697
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
I'm a simple individual, and I make my own fortune. Right now my purpose in life is nothing more than to enjoy a glass of good Whiskey and watch Gene Hackman being force-fed heroin. Later on I will experience pure, exstatic bliss by the humble means of a mangle and 10 meters of bubble plastic wrap...
Preach Brother, Preach.
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #698
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jose and Habib, I was wondering if you would both be willing to expand on how your views on faith have evolved over the past couple of years? I'm interested in what it took to change your minds, whether there was something specific that you found particularly persuasive.
Habibko kindly called my attention to this post. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever posted in this thread, for some reason. Probably because I hardly have any time for philosophy as of late...

In any case... where to begin? Some facts about my life are needed first. I was born into a painfully stereotypical rural Spanish family. My parents are both believing Catholics, I went to a Catholic school and my mother is a catechist and is very active in the church. That being said, I never really had much trouble with Catholicism. My school was quite liberal and laid-back. We went to mass when it was mandated, we had religion classes and the walls were filled with biblical quotations and posters. But the nuns were for the most part kind, caring old ladies who pretty much left us alone. And my parents, while being fervent Catholics, are also quite liberal. I still remember when my mum told me to use condoms...

So I was raised believing in the Christian God the Catholic way, went to church with my mum every sunday until I was about thirteen, at which point I told her I would stop going, more due to laziness than because of any serious conviction. As I grew up, my beliefs started to wobble and gradually fall down or suffer a metamorphosis, in their desperate attempts to cling on to life. I stopped considering myself a Catholic, but I still defined myself as a Christian. I never really gave the theological arguments much thought, but the message of Jesus seemed too powerful to me. That was (and still is) the most convincing argument for Christian theism I could find, and for many years it was enough.

However, as I said, my beliefs were very weak and unstable. All that was needed was a kickstart, a push that would drive me to investigate and deal with the matter in depth, to really go into it. I sort of started doing just that when I slept with my flatmate, who was a student of Catholic theology, and she kicked me out of the flat... but it didn't seem significant enough. That kickstart was the realisation that a very close friend of mine, and old one, had joined a hardline conservative Catholic sect. It is recognised by the Vatican, but even there it is seen with distrust, because of their radical emphasis on the holiness of the family and the standard Catholic precepts. In any case, whatever those people told her and tell her, they fucking destroyed my dear friend. She is just not the friend I used to know. She stopped talking to a common friend because she told her she didn't believe in God and supported abortion, is marrying a guy she met some months ago, etc...

That was what pushed me to purchase the famous book by that British biologist everybody was talking about. That did it. Smooth and easy. That and Sam Harris's work, which I find powerful as. It was a liberating moment, to be honest.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #699
country flag Nekromanta
Banned!

Nekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond repute

Clydey The nicest poster on the board... And where's that chick harmless?
Nekromanta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote