Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2) - Page 236 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #3526
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

My laptop is on life support again but I won't have my new desktop at least this weekend.
Lee is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #3527
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
Driving is not tough to be honest .I cant wait to go home and drive our car Passing that test is so pretty simple
Maybe it will get easier for me. I've found it pretty hard, but everyone has their own level of working at different things. For every activity you are good at, there are countless you are hopeless at.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #3528
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
My laptop is on life support again but I won't have my new desktop at least this weekend.

The cobbler's children have no shoes.

RaquiRaquel! One of my food mags came yesterday, and I see it has a whole article PLUS recipes for white chocolate. The writer bemoans the lack of respect for white chocolate while admitting that really good white chocolate suitable for cooking has been difficult to obtain until fairly recently. He give a list of the best.

Felchlin Mont Blanc Couverture from Switzerland ( :ras ) Mildly sweet with a fresh milkiness well-suite to trufles and confections

Valrhona Ivoire from France - an elegant richness that comes through best in pudding ganaches and frostings

Askinosie Davao White Chocolate - a single origin bar made with goat's milk powder offers layers of earthy nutty nd floral flavors and is best eaten out of hand.

E. Guittard High Sierra -- carmel notes that lend cooked-sugar depth to glazes and gnache

Vintage Plantations 33% Cacao White Chocolate - The ecuadorian cocoa butter imparts powerful aromas of pineapple and coconut to any desert

El Rey Icoa -- This Venezuelan product tastes strikingly of milk chocolate and is good melted into ganache or hot cocoa

Perugina White Chocolate -- This Italian chocolate possesses a balanced roundness reminiscent of sweetened condensed milk. It is perfect for custards

Lindt Classic Recipe White Chocolate - has a straightforward dairy smoothness making it ideal for folding into cookies, brownies or ice-cream

Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bar - Hints of coconut and honey add a subtle fragrance to butter cakes, custards or icings

Cacao Barry Zephyr -- The soft salinity of this Belgian chocolate makes it a match for nuts and dried fruits.
star is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #3529
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Maybe it will get easier for me. I've found it pretty hard, but everyone has their own level of working at different things. For every activity you are good at, there are countless you are hopeless at.
So true. I could drive easily at 13, but I'm a complete at skiing and swimming.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #3530
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
So true. I could drive easily at 13, but I'm a complete at skiing and swimming.
Exactly. Everyone has their fortés, and often in different combination to other people. Life would be so boring if everyone had the same talents as everyone else, if everyone thought the same and if everyone did the same things.

I'm pretty good at solving problems, thinking about things logically and remembering useless trivia. Conversely, I have plenty of drawbacks, for instance I can't write well to save my life. Nothing wrong with my spelling or grammar, or even my mastery over the language, they're all good, it's just I'm hopeless at expressing myself, particularly in writing.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #3531
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
Driving is not tough to be honest .I cant wait to go home and drive our car Passing that test is so pretty simple
It gets easier with time. :9 But it's not true that it's easy to pass the test. It depends on the country, even the city where you do it. I have read that 40% of the portuguese learners fail their first try. Most of them do know how to drive, but the examiner is VERY demanding and it's really easy for a good driver to fail tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You still have the iPad so you can chat with us.

And I just remembered this: how jinx worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Listen to me. Everyday I drive I feel more confident. Today I drove again, easy, simple, perfect no mistakes. 2 days ago I was still feeling a bit unsure. It's a process that takes time, so no need to rush it. I passed the exam and I am still learning, it's normal. But you will get there, I am sure!

Quote:

The cobbler's children have no shoes. b

RaquiRaquel! One of my food mags came yesterday, and I see it has a whole article PLUS recipes for white chocolate. The writer bemoans the lack of respect for white chocolate while admitting that really good white chocolate suitable for cooking has been difficult to obtain until fairly recently. He give a list of the best.

Felchlin Mont Blanc Couverture from Switzerland ( :ras ) Mildly sweet with a fresh milkiness well-suite to trufles and confections

Valrhona Ivoire from France - an elegant richness that comes through best in pudding ganaches and frostings

Askinosie Davao White Chocolate - a single origin bar made with goat's milk powder offers layers of earthy nutty nd floral flavors and is best eaten out of hand.

E. Guittard High Sierra -- carmel notes that lend cooked-sugar depth to glazes and gnache

Vintage Plantations 33% Cacao White Chocolate - The ecuadorian cocoa butter imparts powerful aromas of pineapple and coconut to any desert

El Rey Icoa -- This Venezuelan product tastes strikingly of milk chocolate and is good melted into ganache or hot cocoa

Perugina White Chocolate -- This Italian chocolate possesses a balanced roundness reminiscent of sweetened condensed milk. It is perfect for custards

Lindt Classic Recipe White Chocolate - has a straightforward dairy smoothness making it ideal for folding into cookies, brownies or ice-cream

Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bar - Hints of coconut and honey add a subtle fragrance to butter cakes, custards or icings

Cacao Barry Zephyr -- The soft salinity of this Belgian chocolate makes it a match for nuts and dried fruits.
That one star. It's to die for. I forbade my grandmom to buy it because when she buys a box, I eat it in 2 days!!

I am thinking about baking another white chocolate cake soon. You should do it too! Thanks for sharing.

Also that thing I wanted to share.

A couple of weeks ago, there was this ceremony in an institution in Lisbo about the Holocaust. Some highly educated doctorates from the best Universities were invited and it seems they also invited the Israeli Ambassador in Portugal. During his talk he said the following:

"Portugal was the only country which flag was flown half-mast for 3 days after Hitler's death was known. It's a stain that for us, Jewish, will always be associated with Portugal."

I was so pissed. How dare this guy say this?? We were under a dictatorship, there was this guy making all the calls. And even though he was sort of "friends" with both Hitler and Mussolini, we never fought the war with them. And my country helped the Jews in many ways during WWII. (This guy was awesome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristides_de_Sousa_Mendes.) Even if he had help them, how can he look ME or anyone my age in the face and say such a thing about a dictator we never even met but have only heard and read about.

How can he, almost 70 years after it happened throw this in our faces?

A history doctorate from the University of Coimbra answered him though: "I refuse carrying the weigh of that stain." And that is exactly the way I feel. I refuse carrying that weight.

Am I being unfair here? It really made me angry.
arm is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #3532
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Listen to me. Everyday I drive I feel more confident. Today I drove again, easy, simple, perfect no mistakes. 2 days ago I was still feeling a bit unsure. It's a process that takes time, so no need to rush it. I passed the exam and I am still learning, it's normal. But you will get there, I am sure!
I do listen to you. And once again, thanks for the encouragement. I hope I get there, too. I understand like most things it takes practice and getting used to.

I think you keep saying this because I sound like I moan too much about it? I really don't mean to.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #3533
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do listen to you. And once again, thanks for the encouragement. I hope I get there, too. I understand like most things it takes practice and getting used to.

I think you keep saying this because I sound like I moan too much about it? I really don't mean to.
Not that I have noticed I totally understand your position because I was you just 3 months ago. It's normal. And I keep saying the same thing because I know it's hard for you to truly believe it when you're the one learning behind the wheel.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #3534
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Also that thing I wanted to share.

A couple of weeks ago, there was this ceremony in an institution in Lisbo about the Holocaust. Some highly educated doctorates from the best Universities were invited and it seems they also invited the Israeli Ambassador in Portugal. During his talk he said the following:

"Portugal was the only country which flag was flown half-mast for 3 days after Hitler's death was known. It's a stain that for us, Jewish, will always be associated with Portugal."

I was so pissed. How dare this guy say this?? We were under a dictatorship, there was this guy making all the calls. And even though he was sort of "friends" with both Hitler and Mussolini, we never fought the war with them. And my country helped the Jews in many ways during WWII. (This guy was awesome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristides_de_Sousa_Mendes.) Even if he had help them, how can he look ME or anyone my age in the face and say such a thing about a dictator we never even met but have only heard and read about.

How can he, almost 70 years after it happened throw this in our faces?

A history doctorate from the University of Coimbra answered him though: "I refuse carrying the weigh of that stain." And that is exactly the way I feel. I refuse carrying that weight.

Am I being unfair here? It really made me angry.
I can't really say I know too much about Portigal's involvement, That was arguably the darkest period in modern history. Strong feelings will never be far away.

People often talk about the aftermath of World War I being nasty with the German reparations and whatnot. One major misconception that people have is just how messed up everyone was after World War II. So it's to be expected that there will be a bit of handbags in there.

The flag being at half-mast on his death was not great, but as you say, how is it the fault of the country's third generation in passing if a dictator is in charge? I think you are right.

Just look at Germany for instance. It was obviously a messed up country in the early 1900s, but now they are one of the leading lights in the world. History should never have a bearing on a country's image, if measures have been taken to change matters.

But one thing I will say is that history of this kind can be misinterpreted very easily, and it's obviously very vivid and not at all pleasant. People will have strong opinions, that you don't want to get in the way of.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #3535
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Not that I have noticed I totally understand your position because I was you just 3 months ago. It's normal. And I keep saying the same thing because I know it's hard for you to truly believe it when you're the one learning behind the wheel.
Thanks.

Okay, good. I will stop mentioning it, though. Best to just get on with it myself. Try my best.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #3536
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

I think that members of your generation do feel anger and frustration when outsiders make you seem responsible for the actions of your great-grandfathers. Portugal/Switzerland/Sweden all were helping both sides during wwII. Each has things to be ashamed of and things to be proud of too.

It's so true that victors write history. The allies weren't angels in the war and committed atrocities that they justified at the time, but as time passes and people forget the scalding heat of the events, it's looked at differently.

Do I think a majority of Jews even know about the flag incident? No. I don't. I didn't even know about it.

You know, in my country, we have a lot to answer for in terms of slavery and discrimination against a number of minority groups. Some people get upset about that because they themselves and their families had nothing to do with it. Other people have an idea of "collective guilt." Israel, in my opinion, goes overboard on the idea of collective guilt.

My idea is that we have to look at our countries histories objectively and realize the horrible things done as well as the good things done because it makes us more humble and more willing to keep on striving to be better as a nation. But, it's also important to recognize what is happening today and how we are fulfilling our aspirations.

I always felt when living abroad that I was a guest in that country, and I did not voice my criticisms of the country because I thought it was rude. I was seriously provoked a few times, but managed to hold my tongue. I think it was quite rude of the man to bring up that event when he could have concentrated on more positive things. I think that there are jews who feel the pain of the treatment their ancestors suffered throughout the history of Europe and want to remind Europeans of that history. I think there are black people who are severely and deeply hurt by slavery and discrimination who want to somehow make white America feel that pain. So, I guess I see both sides.

To sit and listen to it must be sort of like getting slapped in the face without being able to respond.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #3537
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Thanks.

Okay, good. I will stop mentioning it, though. Best to just get on with it myself. Try my best.
I have a friend who remembers screaming and crying as her father struggled to teach her to drive. You aren't doing that badly.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #3538
country flag arm

Quote:
I can't really say i know too much about Portigal's involvement, That was arguably the darkest period in modern history. Strong feelings will never be far away.

People often talk about the aftermath of World War I being nasty with the German reparations and whatnot. One major misconception that people have is just how messed up everyone was after World War II. So it's to be expected that there will be a bit of handbags in there.

The flag being at half-mast on his death was not great, but as you say, how is it the fault of the country's third generation in passing if a dictator is in charge? I think you are right.

Just look at Germany for instance. It was obviously a messed up country in the early 1900s, but now they are one of the leading lights in the world. History should never have a bearing on a country's image, if measures have been taken to change matters.

But one thing I will say is that history of this kind can be misinterpreted very easily, and it's obviously very vivid and not at all pleasant. People will have strong opinions, that you don't want to get in the way of.
He can have whatever opinion he wants to as far as I am concerned. But to go to this ceremony, one handled by a prestigious and giving institution, where media was present, and say this? He has got be a huge jerk (mind you, that is not the first word that came to mind).
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #3539
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
He can have whatever opinion he wants to as far as I am concerned. But to go to this ceremony, one handled by a prestigious and giving institution, where media was present, and say this? He has got be a huge jerk (mind you, that is not the first word that came to mind).
Well, I told you my feeling that it is the duty of a guest to be polite to the host.

I think he broke that duty, but my opinion is that he believes he has a duty to remind all Europeans how badly they have treated jews. He may be a person who doesn't think as much about building friendship as he does about retribution.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #3540
country flag arm

Quote:
I think that members of your generation do feel anger and frustration when outsiders make you seem responsible for the actions of your great-grandfathers. Portugal/Switzerland/Sweden all were helping both sides during wwII. Each has things to be ashamed of and things to be proud of too.

It's so true that victors write history. The allies weren't angels in the war and committed atrocities that they justified at the time, but as time passes and people forget the scalding heat of the events, it's looked at differently.

Do I think a majority of Jews even know about the flag incident? No. I don't. I didn't even know about it.

You know, in my country, we have a lot to answer for in terms of slavery and discrimination against a number of minority groups. Some people get upset about that because they themselves and their families had nothing to do with it. Other people have an idea of "collective guilt." Israel, in my opinion, goes overboard on the idea of collective guilt.

My idea is that we have to look at our countries histories objectively and realize the horrible things done as well as the good things done because it makes us more humble and more willing to keep on striving to be better as a nation. But, it's also important to recognize what is happening today and how we are fulfilling our aspirations.

I always felt when living abroad that I was a guest in that country, and I did not voice my criticisms of the country because I thought it was rude. I was seriously provoked a few times, but managed to hold my tongue. I think it was quite rude of the man to bring up that event when he could have concentrated on more positive things. I think that there are jews who feel the pain of the treatment their ancestors suffered throughout the history of Europe and want to remind Europeans of that history. I think there are black people who are severely and deeply hurt by slavery and discrimination who want to somehow make white America feel that pain. So, I guess I see both sides.

To sit and listen to it must be sort of like getting slapped in the face without being able to respond.
I am not saying my country isn't responsible for a lot of bad things that happened during the War and before. I am perfectly aware of what happened here during that time.

But almost 70 years later, to go to a ceremony and throw this in the face of a generation that had nothing to do with this. A generation that has only heard or read about this period and did not live through it? A generation that has nothing in common with this dictator or his beliefs? What is this? I would have either laughed in his face or exploded right there if I was there hearing his speech.

You know how into History I am. And you know that I try to be informed about all the perpectives and sides involved. But this isn't about his side. This is about being plain rude, ungrateful and inconvenient.
Closed Thread