How long will it take Nadal - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #46
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long will it take Nadal

Nadal needs to win another slam or Borg will for sure go down in history as the better player.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #47
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
He did pretty well coming back from a lay-off in 2006. Beat Federer on Decoturf in Dubai in his 1st tournament back.
Well he did also play Marseille two week earlier but may have won that as well if it weren't for the bee sting in the semi-finals.
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #48
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
I have never seen Nadal come back from a injury break void of confidence per say. I have seen him come back rusty, but there is no point in his career where he came back and wasn't winning matches. he is not the kind of guy who loses his edge entirely
Rofl, so what do you call the 2009 fiasco? Let me guess, Rafa was injured ALL the way coincidentally until the 2010 clay court season right? Confidence is the right word here, rusty is the general issue of not playing at your potential. So you want to call his choking matches against Davydenko, Ljubicic, and Roddick as rusty rather than not having the confidence to win break points or serve for the match? Boy you are something far too gone to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just like heaven View Post
One big win is all it takes to gain back that confidence. As I said, starting to play from the beginning of the season, when almost all the players come back after two months without matches, should make things easier. He seems pretty confident in interviews and if he feels 100% phisically and is able to practice as much as he wants, then I don't think this confidence thing should be such a big issue. Losing matches after winning the first set or getting broken when serving for the match has become a habit in the past two years, so those 2010 loses don't seem that strange anymore.
Obviously that is the most ideal scenario for him is to come back at the beginning of the season. However, either way it is still most likely going to take him until the clay season for him to get back into some kind of form.. And the crappier his first 3 months back on the tour or if worst case the later he gets back on the tour, it puts even more pressure on him to be truly ready for the clay season. If he can't get success on clay, again, you can really say goodbye to his season.. He hasn't won a non-clay title since Tokyo 2010.. that is a huge stat to overcome and this point in his career. Will that be his last non-clay court title? Hell no, but still doesn't mean he has a load of work to do. Practice matches only go so far.

Not sure how you wouldn't consider such losses as strange. The reason is he lacks confidence to close out matches off clay.. You can't attribute that to "he just loses like that". I mean he certainly had no problem in closing such matches pre-FO 2009 and in the 2010 after the clay season started.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #49
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute

all I know is Jerzy will make Rafa his first pidgeon
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #50
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
all I know is Jerzy will make Rafa his first pidgeon
I think Jerzy's game matches up well against Rafa's
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #51
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Obviously that is the most ideal scenario for him is to come back at the beginning of the season. However, either way it is still most likely going to take him until the clay season for him to get back into some kind of form.. And the crappier his first 3 months back on the tour or if worst case the later he gets back on the tour, it puts even more pressure on him to be truly ready for the clay season. If he can't get success on clay, again, you can really say goodbye to his season.. He hasn't won a non-clay title since Tokyo 2010.. that is a huge stat to overcome and this point in his career. Will that be his last non-clay court title? Hell no, but still doesn't mean he has a load of work to do. Practice matches only go so far.

Not sure how you wouldn't consider such losses as strange. The reason is he lacks confidence to close out matches off clay.. You can't attribute that to "he just loses like that". I mean he certainly had no problem in closing such matches pre-FO 2009 and in the 2010 after the clay season started.
He thinks he can return to a high level and that's all that matters.

The only problem is the Spanish media reported he will start practicing this week, but the week is almost over and I still haven't seen photos of him on a tennis court.
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #52
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to calculate because although the AO may be his first tournament back, he could be training and playing practice matches with full fitness for a significant amount of time before that. Returning in the off season is good for Nadal and regardless how many people deny it, Nadal is a huge natural talent. His confidence in big matches may take time to return but, imo, he will be good enough on returning to reach those big matches (GS QF and further).
Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #53
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
The ATP and WTA is as different as night and day. You just can't spend the amount of time out of the game he did and start winning slams again, especially at his age and the fact that he has to start playing with a reduced schedule. Look how long it took Delpo to come back and he was never the same player again, even at his young age. Nadal needs to play many events to stay at the top as he is a confidence player and he just can't afford that anymore. He really is done this time. At most he can win one more FO as far as slams go. But I think there is a high possibility Djokovic wins the FO next year.
Delpo needed a year to re-enter the Top-10 -- not THAT long considering he was ranked as low as #485 in January 2011.

Why do you all make it look like Nadal was out of Top-100 already and bound to draw Fed/Djoke/Muzza etc. in 1R/2Rs in his comeback? He's still Top-4, he's protected by his high ranking and will do just fine. Granted, it's unlikely he wins AO or IW/Miami right away but once he steps on clay court he'll be the overwhelming favorite again.
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote